My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Remotes - yet again

(17 posts)
  1. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago
    There have been some encouraging reports about the Manhattan T3-R but it seems to me that the software is still a bit immature but they do seem to be issuing regular updates. There is a major software update in the works which will fix some of the limitations compared to a Humax but it is several months away. The Panasonic PVRs are reckoned to be pretty reliable.

Absolutely but limited to what you can watch when two recordings are in progress, unlike even my old Humax 9200.

| Tue 16 Jun 2020 14:17:45 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

furkin

I had a Manhattan STB, which was o.k,,,, but not much to go wrong.
    I bought a "top of the range" Panasonic hdd recorder just before I learned of hdd kits, so I ought to sell that. I also bought a LiteOn kit, as back-up.
    Mind you, I still have a terrific Toshiba hdd player that I bought just before I learned of recorders also !!!!
    (is there a market for these museum pieces ?!)
    I used to be on top of all this stuff, till my 'old-timers' kicked in !!
    I still have the Topfield.

It's absolutely great in some respects (changeability etc), but limited in others.
    I do wish they'd carried on making them.

| Tue 16 Jun 2020 14:52:02 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Biggles - 2 hours ago  » 
    Absolutely but limited to what you can watch when two recordings are in progress, unlike even my old Humax 9200.

Can I clarify; was that comment aimed at the Manhattan (I believe it is currently true but the version 2 software due in a few months will allegedly improve the situation) or the Panasonic?

| Tue 16 Jun 2020 16:27:04 #13 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Martin Liddle - 3 hours ago
    Can I clarify; was that comment aimed at the Manhattan (I believe it is currently true but the version 2 software due in a few months will allegedly improve the situation) or the Panasonic?

The highlighted text of your post, the Panasonic, and I was agreeing absolutely that the Panasonic is reliable.

| Tue 16 Jun 2020 20:13:26 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Remote control units collect dust, sweat, body oils etc and these prevent the keys working. You need to clean it.

It is a trivial matter to open up the unit and wash the rubber keys with soapy water and Bingo! it works properly again.

See Disassemble remote control to fix intermittent keys for detailed instructions.

| Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:52:07 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

furkin

Hi John,
    I put all my remotes button side down. This is (was) just to keep 'em clean, but it must stop 99% of the s#&$ getting in.

Having skipped through your link, it seems to be to a different R.C, as mine dosn't have any grey parts.

As in the OP, one of them has buttons missing,,,, well, not 'missing', but on the desk. I was wondering about gluing them in, but this would mean they were in contact all the time, unless - by magic - they just stick to one edge --- no, not likely.

The missing ones are Red >1 >4 >7 >F. I'm just wondering if other people have the same buttons missing - maybe a design fault.

thanks to you all - hope you are keeping well.

| Thu 23 Jul 2020 11:10:24 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

furkin

What happens is you hold the remote unit in your hand and this warms up the air inside it which expands and gets forced out. When you put it down the warm air inside cools and contracts and draws in any grease, sweat, food, skin cells or whatever muck is on the remote control. Do this thousands of times and you accumulate a greasy black sludge inside the unit which coats the key contacts and stops them working.

In fact, as you can see from my post, I initially wondered if this greasy black sludge was actually electrically conductive grease put there to make sure it worked! It isn't - it's muck which needs to be cleaned out.

When you take it apart there is a rubber sheet which extends along the entire length. All the "keys" are moulded into this sheet and it is the rubber sheet touching the PCB which makes the contact and closes the circuit on the PCB. Some keys (eg HOME, arrow keys etc) have plastic covers for your fingers but it is still the rubber sheet which makes contact.

Fairy Liquid works well - I dunk the entire rubber sheet in a bowl of warm soapy water and scrub it clean. I clean the PCB with methylated spirits or surgical spirit - isopropyl alcohol is best but I don't have any.

| Thu 23 Jul 2020 12:29:43 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.