My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Replaced LNB

(14 posts)
  1. vinnypowell

vinnypowell

I recently changed my two line LNB for a Quad. I'm getting a strong signal and quality, 100% almost but I have several channels missing. They are are in the TV guide but show no picture or sound. For example I can see the BBC channels, Channel 4 and associated channels and the 5 range such as FiveUSA. ITV, CBS and Pick show nothing. Is it likely that the skew on the LNB is not quite right The dish is in an awkward place so before I dismantle everything just wanted to explore this is a possible cause?

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 9:10:59 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

vinnypowell - 2 hours ago  » 
    I recently changed my two line LNB for a Quad. I'm getting a strong signal and quality, 100% almost but I have several channels missing. They are are in the TV guide but show no picture or sound. For example I can see the BBC channels, Channel 4 and associated channels and the 5 range such as FiveUSA. ITV, CBS and Pick show nothing. Is it likely that the skew on the LNB is not quite right The dish is in an awkward place so before I dismantle everything just wanted to explore this is a possible cause?

Possibly but it would have to be a long way out. The symptoms are normally that you can't see vertically polarised transponders or horizontal ones. As your box appears to be working it's likely to be vertical ones as the freesat home transponder is horizontal . Check what polarisation the channels you can't get from

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Download the HTM version and open it using your browsers File menu (or drag and drop from explorer to browser desktop icon.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 12:15:23 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

The skew being "not quite right" will make little difference, unless your "not quite" is really a whole big load of 'not right'.
    I'm with GLT on this, most likely missing either V polarisation or a band (H/L) and by comparing missing channels with a list such as that at Kings of Sat would solve this.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 15:29:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Up to date list for West Midlands Postcode

Attachments

1. Freesat_Channels_Frequency_and_Polaris.pdf (111.4 KB, 3 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 26 Dec 2020 15:50:30 #4 |
  5. vinnypowell

vinnypowell

Thanks for your replies. After checking it seems to be just the vertical ones. Does that mean I have an unsuitable LNB or is there another reason? I've never ran more than one cable before. I just assumed that all four would just give the same identical feed? Or am I being ignorant? I wanted to use one cable to my existing HB1000S, one to a second TV which has a satellite decoder built in, and a third cable to a second HB1000S which I have yet to buy for a TV in a bedroom? Just to clarify at the moment I have three cables running from the LNB but only one is connected to anything, my original HB1000s.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 15:54:01 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

vinnypowell - 41 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for your replies. After checking it seems to be just the vertical ones. Does that mean I have an unsuitable LNB or is there another reason? I've never ran more than one cable before. I just assumed that all four would just give the same identical feed? Or am I being ignorant? I wanted to use one cable to my existing HB1000S, one to a second TV which has a satellite decoder built in, and a third cable to a second HB1000S which I have yet to buy for a TV in a bedroom? Just to clarify at the moment I have three cables running from the LNB but only one is connected to anything, my original HB1000s.

No problem using any two outputs and another for a single cable box.

Are the verticals also missing from the HB-1000S ?

If so the skew could be out by a very long way or possibly the lnb itself has failed. Having another tuner connected is going to make diagnostics much easier.

Move the HB-1000S to the twin tuner box location. and try one of the two cables in turn. If one works and the other not the one cable is faulty or possibly a corroded termination on the lnb letting in water.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 16:40:44 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

First check are you receiving ANY vertical ones if so give some details.
    If not do check the cable connections at both ends to ensure that the F-connector fitting is such to give a good electrical connection so that band and polarity can be correctly switched.
    As Graham and Trev have already said it is possible to create this by incorrect skew but it would have to be a significant error. I always use my watch after dividing the desired shew by 6 (360/60) and then setting the shew, from in frount of the dish and LNB, to about the setting (about 25 mins to the hour for me). Use
    dishpointer.com to see your shew (don't forget to select 28.2E)

If all checks out then that would leave a defective LNB or defective port.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 16:41:06 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

i wonder if Vinny has bought one of these weird SkyQ hybrids. Although it doesn't sound like it. Would that even give those results.
    @vinnypowell, do you have a link to the one that you bought?
    What about a quattro LNB??? (I know nothing about either)

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 17:32:07 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 15 mins ago  » 
    i wonder if Vinny has bought one of these weird SkyQ hybrids. Although it doesn't sound like it. Would that even give those results.
    @vinnypowell, do you have a link to the one that you bought?
    What about a quattro LNB??? (I know nothing about either)

Quattro's are simple they have four outputs each one locked to the one of the four possible combinations. it's used with a multiswitch. A single tuner connected one the multiswitch inputs decides which one of the four lnb connections the tuner needs and selects it. So all it needs is power, no band or polarisation switching.

If he bought a quattro rather than a quad it will not work without a multiswitch. With only 3 tuners to feed he needs a bog standard ku band universal

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 17:52:41 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have a Quattro - One complication is that you need to connect both ends to the correct terminal. I have 4 core coloured cable so it is easy.

| Sat 26 Dec 2020 18:01:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.