My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Saving & Viewing Encoded HD

(18 posts)
  1. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

I have several HD programmes in my Recordings folder which I would like to save for future viewing. I do not want them sitting around in the Recordings folder simply cluttering it up. I can transfer these recordings to my laptop using FileZilla, but getting them back onto the Aura in a playable state is problematical. I have tried putting them into a folder on the Aura's HDD (Movies) but VLC is unable to play them because of DRM. I cannot find a way to restore them to the Recordings folder where, in theory, they should be playable.

Does anyone know a method to achieve this?

PS - I don't want to convert them to SD; it rather undermines the need to keep HD programmes.

| Fri 31 Dec 2021 16:48:12 #1 |
  2. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I've only tried this with original full size SD recordings (which I copied from another Aura) so I imagine its the same for original HD. I uploaded the SD files back to the /Recordings/Upload/ directory then that repopulated them back in to the recordings list.

| Fri 31 Dec 2021 17:33:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpuk

HD recordings are encrypted and can only be played on the Aura they were recorded on

| Fri 31 Dec 2021 19:15:31 #3 |
  4. jpv1960

jpv1960

When you have moved the HD files back onto the original Aura into the correct folder, are you able to play them via a television?

Did you copy all the related files back into their original folders as well?

| Sat 1 Jan 2022 9:01:57 #4 |
  5. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

jpv1960 - 2 hours ago  » 
    When you have moved the HD files back onto the original Aura into the correct folder, are you able to play them via a television?
    Did you copy all the related files back into their original folders as well?

Not quite sure what you mean by 'related files'. I must admit I've not tried copying from the laptop to the Upload folder. Do these files then automatically appear in the Recordings listing? If that's the case then I have to store the files on my laptop until needed and then move them back to the Aura. I was hoping to store them on the Aura's HDD in folders I create, but I don't seem to be able to move them from there to the Upload folder; I get a (FileZilla) error message saying the file can't be renamed.

| Sat 1 Jan 2022 11:23:06 #5 |
  6. jpv1960

jpv1960

My mistake, it doesn't seem to have related files like fvp-5000.

Try uploading one HD file from your laptop to the Upload folder and see if you can view it using the TV (before using VLC)

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 9:47:08 #6 |
  7. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

jpv1960 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Try uploading one HD file from your laptop to the Upload folder and see if you can view it using the TV (before using VLC)

Yes, my old Foxsat HDR had a pair of sidecar files (.htm and .nts).

I copied an HD encoded file to my backup hard drive and deleted it off the Aura. I then copied this file back to the Upload folder and after a short while it appeared back in the Recordings list. So that process clearly works although it's a bit of a faff but better than nothing at all. It would have been nice, and simpler, if the Aura could directly access encoded files stored in the Movies folder on its own HDD.

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 13:17:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jpv1960 - 5 hours ago  » 

Interesting observation; as far as I know all the earlier Humax PVR models had sidecar files. I assume the information that was previously contained in the sidecar files is now distributed between the ts file and perhaps a database.

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 14:58:49 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Has anyone tried this:-
    Install Plex server onto laptop/pc.
    Install Plex player onto Aura.
    Transfer HD file from Aura to laptop/pc.
    Will the encrypted file then play via Plex on the Aura, because its technically being played on the original device? Or does Plex not recognize/play the format that the Aura saves the file as?

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 15:28:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

And if Plex doesn't play .ts files, can they be converted into a playable format and does the decryption work (when played via Plex on the Aura)?

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 15:33:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.