(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 2 hours ago  » 
    Has anyone tried this:-
    Install Plex server onto laptop/pc.
    Install Plex player onto Aura.
    Transfer HD file from Aura to laptop/pc.
    Will the encrypted file then play via Plex on the Aura, because its technically being played on the original device? Or does Plex not recognize/play the format that the Aura saves the file as?

I don't see how Plex would be able to access the hardware that does the decryption.

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 19:16:27 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That's why I was asking. I wondered if the encryption/decryption key was accessible by apps on the device other than the Freeview software (for want of a better description)?
    So the next question is, can media player apps installed onto the Aura see and play the recordings?

| Sun 2 Jan 2022 19:56:14 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

And if media player apps can't see the contents of the recording folder, can the see/play them if they have been transferred off then returned to a different folder on the Aura?

| Mon 3 Jan 2022 11:34:23 #13 |
  4. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    And if media player apps can't see the contents of the recording folder, can the see/play them if they have been transferred off then returned to a different folder on the Aura?

Not unexpectedly, Plex on the Aura could not playback encoded files stored on my laptop. Neither Plex nor VLC could play them from folders on the Aura itself. So currently, the only option is to copy the files from the laptop to the Upload folder on the Aura which will then make them visible under the main Recordings section.

| Mon 3 Jan 2022 13:01:46 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanthebear

Yes it is ridiculous that we cannot have a simple way to backup our HD recordings. This is legal as long as we don't give them or share them to others. Unfortunately they make it difficult for legal users but the pirates have plenty of ways around the 'encryption'. Understand a copy of a 'encrypted' file is not a backup.

I have seen for some recorders the header files can be copied and written back with a encrypt flag switched off - then the HD recording can be backed up to HDD plugged into the Recorders USB port giving a back-up. Dont know if this works with Aura...

| Wed 26 Jan 2022 17:32:01 #15 |
  6. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

stanthebear - 1 day ago  » 

I have seen for some recorders the header files can be copied and written back with a encrypt flag switched off - then the HD recording can be backed up to HDD plugged into the Recorders USB port giving a back-up. Dont know if this works with Aura...

I don't know how to do this - any idea where to find information about this technique?

| Thu 27 Jan 2022 17:42:16 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

I don't know how to do this - any idea where to find information about this technique?

This forum has a policy of not discussing removal of encryption so I would suggest you pop over to https://hummy.tv to ask the question.

| Thu 27 Jan 2022 19:13:43 #17 |
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Martin Liddle - 18 hours ago  » 

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

This forum has a policy of not discussing removal of encryption so I would suggest you pop over to https://hummy.tv to ask the question.

Apologies, thank you for reminding me.

| Fri 28 Jan 2022 13:29:18 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.