My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

SD .ts files playback without transcoding

(72 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lightbulb Moment - I Have videoredo TV suite 6 an excellent mpeg editor. It can remux and fix errors in mpeg file, As you can see the 1.20GB file is drastically reduced in size.

Attachments

1. Video_Redo_TV_Suite_Stream_Fix.jpg (75.8 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 30 Jan 2021 14:00:13 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

OK, just to validate what I'm saying, I've converted both a HD recording (death in paradise) and a SD recording (caught red handed) using the box. I've then logged into the FTP server and can see both the original (unconverted) version and the transcoded (converted) version. Each version has a separate folder, as per the screen shots. I've then downloaded the converted file from the FTP server and downloaded using the "downarrow" link on the Web Control IF onto my PC and taken screenshots of the file properties for each. I've also used the app on my phone to download the same ones and provide screen shots for them. They are all consistent in that the downloaded files are identical in terms of file size. Each route downloads with a different file name:-
    FTP server downloads as PROGNAME_CHANNEL_CHANNELID_RECORDINGID_converted.ts
    Aura app downloads as RECORDINGID.ts
    Web Control IF downloads as PROGNAME.ts

So there should be 10 images here:-
    - the file structure of the FTP server showing the two different folders for the converted and unconverted files
    - the filename and file size on the FTP server of the two files in both the converted folder and the non-converted folder (4 files)
    - the file propoerties of the converted files downloaded by FTP to the PC (filenames conform to the structure above)
    - the file properties of the converted files downloaded from the Web Control IF interface (2 files, filenames conform to the structure above)
    - the file properties of the converted files downloaded using the Android app (2 files, filenames conform as above, images from screenshots on my phone)

Attachments

1. aura_CRH_FTP_download.JPG (43 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    2. aura_DIP_converted_on_FTP_server.JPG (13.3 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    3. aura_DIP_non_converted_on_FTP_server.JPG (13.6 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    4. aura_CRH_conv_on_FTP_server.JPG (14.4 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    5. aura_CRH_non_converted_on_FTP_server.JPG (15.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    6. aura_FTP_structure.JPG (43.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 30 Jan 2021 14:08:53 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

And now the rest

Actually 11 files in total.

Attachments

1. aura_DIP_(178)_app_download.JPG (30.6 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    2. aura_DIP_WebIF_download.JPG (41.6 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    3. aura_DIP_FTP_download.JPG (42.5 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    4. aura_CRH_(173)_app_download.JPG (26.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    5. aura_CRH_WebIF_download.JPG (42.4 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 30 Jan 2021 14:10:30 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

So all versions identical file sizes. None of them generated different downloadable file sizes.

One other item of note; I'd changed the resolution via the Web Control IF yesterday to 640x360 and the downloaded files have all been processed at that resolution, so changing those numbers does (in my case) appear to have worked.

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 14:12:14 #44 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 2 mins ago  » 
    OK, just to validate what I'm saying, I've converted both a HD recording (death in paradise) and a SD recording (caught red handed) using the box. I've then logged into the FTP server and can see both the original (unconverted) version and the transcoded (converted) version. Each version has a separate folder, as per the screen shots. I've then downloaded the converted file from the FTP server and downloaded using the "downarrow" link on the Web Control IF onto my PC and taken screenshots of the file properties for each. I've also used the app on my phone to download the same ones and provide screen shots for them. They are all consistent in that the downloaded files are identical in terms of file size. Each route downloads with a different file name:-
    So there should be 10 images here:-
    - the file structure of the FTP server showing the two different folders for the converted and unconverted files
    - the filename and file size on the FTP server of the two files in both the converted folder and the non-converted folder (4 files)
    - the file propoerties of the converted files downloaded by FTP to the PC (filenames conform to the structure above)
    - the file properties of the converted files downloaded from the Web Control IF interface (2 files, filenames conform to the structure above)
    - the file properties of the converted files downloaded using the Android app (2 files, filenames conform as above, images from screenshots on my phone)

I did not invent the larger file. It was downloaded direct from the box to a seperate a folder. As shown above it has data in it not actually required,

So it's a fault with the server software as you can remove the extra data easily leaving a much smaller file.

I have set another BBC1 recording to repeat the download starting with a previously unconverted file. It's later today so will have another play tomorrow.

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 14:14:17 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

No, you didn't invent it. You downloaded the unconverted file; as I've shown above, its not possible to find a magically new file on the FTP server that is different to the one which is downloaded from the Web Control IF.

The file you have demonstrated as being "big" is called "Pointless_BBC ONE W Mid_001_611.ts" which as I posted above is the file name for the *unconverted* file on the FTP server. If it was converted it would have been called "Pointless_BBC ONE W Mid_001_611_converted.ts". As I posted above, the structure of the names is as follows:-

Each route downloads with a different file name:-

The filename of the file you have shown from the FTP server does not have the word "converted" appended to the file name, demonstrating to me that you have downloaded the original file.

Can you post a screenshot of the FTP server? As shown ni my screenshot there should be two folders - one holding the original file and one showing the converted file. Mine is attached below.

Attachments

1. aura_FTP_structure.JPG (43.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 30 Jan 2021 16:39:50 #46 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 4 mins ago  » 
    No, you didn't invent it. You downloaded the unconverted file; as I've shown above, its not possible to find a magically new file on the FTP server that is different to the one which is downloaded from the Web Control IF.
    The file you have demonstrated as being "big" is called "Pointless_BBC ONE W Mid_001_611.ts" which as I posted above is the file name for the *unconverted* file on the FTP server. If it was converted it would have been called "Pointless_BBC ONE W Mid_001_611_converted.ts". As I posted above, the structure of the names is as follows:-

Each route downloads with a different file name:-

The filename of the file you have shown from the FTP server does not have the word "converted" appended to the file name, demonstrating to me that you have downloaded the original file.
    Can you post a screenshot of the FTP server? As shown ni my screenshot there should be two folders - one holding the original file and one showing the converted file. Mine is attached below.

If I had downloaded the original file. It would look really good it does not. It's just a fuzzy as the smaller files when viewed on my laptop. If it was the original file streamfix would not have changed it's size in any way.

You only find these folders after the first copy no doubt a product of the rescaling process, If only we could download the original files as you can using a FVP-5000T the quality would be the same as viewing live TV on BBC1 in the aura app ot also using my other box. . It's nowhere near as good.

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 16:49:29 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I've tried to provide a route for us to diagnose the differences, if you don't want to go down that route then I'll step back from the thread. Subjective views about fuzziness aren't really helpful. Streamfix would reduce the size of the original because that is the purpose of streamfix - to fix bloat in a .ts stream original file.

Your filename is wrong so it *cannot be* the converted file. Until you post a screenshot of your FTP file structure I simply don;t believe that you have downloaded the right file because all of the effort I've gone into here clearly demonstrates that there is a different file name / folder structure for converted files.

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 17:28:33 #48 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 5 mins ago  » 
    I've tried to provide a route for us to diagnose the differences, if you don't want to go down that route then I'll step back from the thread. Subjective views about fuzziness aren't really helpful. Streamfix would reduce the size of the original because that is the purpose of streamfix - to fix bloat in a .ts stream original file.
    Your filename is wrong so it *cannot be* the converted file. Until you post a screenshot of your FTP file structure I simply don;t believe that you have downloaded the right file because all of the effort I've gone into here clearly demonstrates that there is a different file name / folder structure for converted files.

I will take screen shots when I have a new untouched recording to work with as I do the first transfer from the untouched original recording file. So attempting to reproduce the issue. A single transfer using the ftp server should produce a usable file without the extra data. In fact simply stripping out the unwanted data does produce the same size file as downloading from the webif does.

| Sat 30 Jan 2021 17:39:43 #49 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

In the mean time I have significantly increased the quality of the SD file download to near 720p HD quality. Be interesting to see how a HD download scaled up looks.

Attachments

1. SD_download_upscaled_to_near_720p_HD_q.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 30 Jan 2021 19:54:22 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.