My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Sensible suggestions for improving EPG, os etc

(62 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

WHAT NO-ONE TELLS YOU ABOUT USB DRIVES

Finally got copy/move to work properly. Using a 500gb drive I found it must be formatted by the Humax box, formatting on a W10 PC is not good enough. When formatted by the box it seems reliable and takes less than 5 minutes to copy/move a 1 hour file. I am not certain why this is but looking at the drive ... Windows just formats the whole drive in one partition, Humax box formats in 2 partitions one of them being just 10gb, presumably as a temporary work area (10GB will hold an HD movie).

This is all the manual says about fomats ...

Note:
    • Use USB storage devices formatted by ext3, FAT or NTFS only.
    • Do not disconnect the USB storage device during playback, the files or the
    USB storage device may be damaged.
    • It is recommended to use the USB storage devices requiring external power
    supply.
    • If the USB storage device is connected in standby mode, it will
    automatically be recognized when the product is turned on.
    • HUMAX cannot guarantee compatibility with all USB storage devices and
    assumes no responsibility for any loss of data.

| Sat 26 May 2018 10:14:47 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

Update to the previous post.

I was mistaken ... cannot get the usb copy/move system to work.

Someone let me know when Humax decide to issue an update to put it right. I'm not spending any more time on it.

| Tue 29 May 2018 17:41:05 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ_T

When you go to play a recorded series, that it goes to the oldest recording in the series and not the newest as it does at present.

| Wed 30 May 2018 11:27:13 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

AJ_T - 2 hours ago  » 
    When you go to play a recorded series, that it goes to the oldest recording in the series and not the newest as it does at present.

Now you mention it, that is quite an irritating feature.

| Wed 30 May 2018 14:20:09 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

A1944 - 1 minute ago  » 

AJ_T - 2 hours ago  » 

Not if you're following a breaking news story and have a dozen recordings labelled only: "Sky News", "Headline News", and "News Live".

The useless "recorded programs" dialogue displays no time or even date unless you highlight an individual recording, so it's as well to have the most recent at the top.

Ideally, of course, the user should be able to select how the list is ordered.

| Wed 30 May 2018 14:34:16 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Marius - 40 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 1 minute ago  » 

AJ_T - 2 hours ago  » 

Not if you're following a breaking news story and have a dozen recordings labelled only: "Sky News", "Headline News", and "News Live".
    The useless "recorded programs" dialogue displays no time or even date unless you highlight an individual recording, so it's as well to have the most recent at the top.

Yes, but that is different.

We are taking about an actual series where there may be half a dozen unwatched recordings for the same title (a drama series for example).

When you select the title in the recorded programmes list you get a list down the left hand side which always highlights the most recent recording (the one which would play if you do not change it) when the sensible thing would be to highlight the oldest which is the most likely one that many people would want to watch.

| Wed 30 May 2018 15:22:23 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Barry.

Are Humax Towers aware of this thread? It might be a good idea if they were.

| Wed 30 May 2018 15:28:04 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

A1944 - 11 hours ago  » 

Marius - 40 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 1 minute ago  » 

AJ_T - 2 hours ago  » 

Yes, but that is different.
    We are taking about an actual series where there may be half a dozen unwatched recordings for the same title (a drama series for example).
    When you select the title in the recorded programmes list you get a list down the left hand side which always highlights the most recent recording (the one which would play if you do not change it) when the sensible thing would be to highlight the oldest which is the most likely one that many people would want to watch.

Of course it's different.You're talking about a drama series and I'm talking about a series of news broadcasts. But that's the only difference and it's utterly irrelevant to the point of this discussion.

Both news bulletins and drama series are ordered in a temporally significant sequence that logically requires playback to begin with the earliest or latest recording, depending upon the content and certain other factors. Therefore, as I said before, the user should be able to select how the list is ordered.

It isn't rocket-science.

| Thu 31 May 2018 3:13:59 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

To be fair I think most of these problems are not the fault of Humax, the bulk of the programming is written by Linux.

However Humax should be complaining like crazy to Linux, all this is causing lost sales ... and money.

| Thu 31 May 2018 13:15:56 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Oporus - 4 minutes ago  » 
    To be fair I think most of these problems are not the fault of Humax, the bulk of the programming is written by Linux.
    However Humax should be complaining like crazy to Linux, all this is causing lost sales ... and money.

Linux is a open source operating system (available for free). Windows is an operating system that your PC is likely to be running. It's not a software writing company or any other sort of company. Originally invented by one man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Typical Linux distro

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

| Thu 31 May 2018 13:26:07 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.