My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Signal dropout?

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

Sorry but this is a long one!
    History:
    about 11 years ago I bought a Humax FOXSAT-HDR and at the time we lived on BUte off the west coast of Scotland. I set it up with the correct dish and everything worked fine.

We moved to lincolnshire 2 years ago so I bought a new dish/quad lnb and so on. I set up the freesat box and had no problems.

About 6 weeks ago I started to get a problem which was a complete loss of audio and video which would last for 2 to 10 seconds.

These are further details and what I have tried.
    I had a Roku2 box connected and internet to them all via a Netgear Gigabyte switch both of which I disconnected.
    I have also got a freeview box and a blueray player connected to the same Samsung TV. I get no dropout when viewing either the freeview box or watching a DVD.
    So I thought I had proved it wasn't the T.V but to be sure I swapped the freeview and freesat to each other's HDMI input to the T.V but still the signal loss.
    I then used a new HDMI cable for the freesat box but still no change.
    I decided it was most likely the freesat box as it was by far the oldest part of the system. So I bought a Humax HDR-1100S.
    Still no change.
    I did a physical examination of the cables all the way to the dish and there appeared to be no damage.
    I already had a cheap goodmans box in my conservatory but decided to put the old humax box in there. It worked fine and as I read that sometimes an LNB can fail due to overheating I bought a new quad LNB.
    Still no change. In fact I set the old box up to display the signal strength/quality and turned the sound up on the system in my living room and watched the signal display on the old box. When the audio/video on the living room box dropped out the old one was rock solid.
    The cables at the dish end had been bound with self annealing tape and as I disconnected them from the old LNB I could see they were still looking brand new with no rusting at all.

I could replace all the cable but first I thought I would ask you guys. Any idea if there is anything else I can try?

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 12:26:20 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suggest you remake the connections on the cable, firstly in the living room, then if problem persists at the dish end.

Make sure that the outer braid and inner cores do not touch each other so a good electrical connection can be made to power the LNB.

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 13:08:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

Okay tried that but no change. I have 2 part reels of RG6 cable so I made up 2 temporary leads to run directly from the dish to the HDR-1100S and reset it and got "you have a weak signal check the leads".
    Put the original connections back got a good signal but the same problem is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't know what else I can do.
    The old box in the conservatory is still fine with 100% signal strength and quality on a good number of channels and the worst quality is at around 60%.

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 19:30:06 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you swap the connections on the LNB is there any change?
    If so there may be a defect in the cable.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 7:01:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

The LNB is new. I changed the old one because I thought it might be failing. As my last post shows I ran temporary leads to it and I have, in any case, swapped over the connections but it's still the same.
    My wife, who knows nothing about electronics, has pointed out that maybe the T.V doesn't like Freesat kit so I am going to swap the T.V's over later today to see what happens. Thinking about it there was an update to the T.V software a few weeks ago so it is possible it's a bug in that causing the problem.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 8:55:38 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As the temporary lead gave "you have a weak signal check the leads" and you had reasonable signal on the original cable, I would conclude that the temporary cable or it's connections have a defect.

As you are going to swap the TV's over it might be an idea to try the TV and HDR-1100S in the conservatory. If there are no problems then it is either the living room cable or possibly RF emissions from another piece of equipment.

How frequent is the loss of Audio/Video?

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 11:37:53 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Having only 60% quality suggests your dish alignment requires attention. From memory I don't think any of mine are less than 100. I will check every transponder and post details this afternoon. Incidentally RG6 is not very good quality cable. Best to use WF100/PF100.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 12:03:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

To be honest I was amazed to see the "weak signal" message. Electronics has been a hobby for over 60 years and I have built many pieces of equipment and repaired a number of T.V's/radios etc for friends. Both lots of cable were full spec unused satellite specific cable and the connectors were brand new. When I disassembled them there appeared to be no faults so I am baffled.
    I have swapped the T.V's and still get the problem with the old T.V As the old T.V worked fine with the old Freesat box I see no point in swapping the new box into the conservatory.
    However we do have solar panels and yesterday I noticed that there is no electricity being fed into the grid from them. The inverter is up in the loft about 3 metres from the dish and about the same distance from the the T.V and Freesat box. There isn't easy access to it but I am now thinking it has developed a fault and may be causing interference but unless it isn't actually affecting the dish/LNB's I don't expect it is the problem.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 12:27:27 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barrowman - 7 minutes ago  » 
    To be honest I was amazed to see the "weak signal" message. Electronics has been a hobby for over 60 years and I have built many pieces of equipment and repaired a number of T.V's/radios etc for friends. Both lots of cable were full spec unused satellite specific cable and the connectors were brand new. When I disassembled them there appeared to be no faults so I am baffled.
    I have swapped the T.V's and still get the problem with the old T.V As the old T.V worked fine with the old Freesat box I see no point in swapping the new box into the conservatory.
    However we do have solar panels and yesterday I noticed that there is no electricity being fed into the grid from them. The inverter is up in the loft about 3 metres from the dish and about the same distance from the the T.V and Freesat box. There isn't easy access to it but I am now thinking it has developed a fault and may be causing interference but unless it isn't actually affecting the dish/LNB's I don't expect it is the problem.

You would expect any interference to affect a fairly small range of transponders. Seems unlikely to affect the complete Ku band IF spectrum. Wait till I can access my Foxsat and generate a table of strength quality. It will be in the same order as the manual tune all transponder database so simply using the arrow keys to work through them and compare the results.

Hopefully some sort of pattern will emerge.

I have included one sample channel from each transponder in the table.

Pretty sure all the UK spots will be 100/100 with a lower signal strength on the Pan Europe beam transponders. Better half watching Bargain Hunt at the moment. Incidentally WF100/PF100 has much superior screening to RG6.

Might be worth taking a DAB/FM portable close to the inverter, any significant rf emissions should be pretty obvious.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 12:39:14 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You may have transponders not in my list due to postcode. You will find transponders no longer broadcasting or no longer with Freesat content.

Most PE beam are 85/100 or 90/100 worst is 11567 V (eg JML Direct) at 90/80 (Who cares )

Attachments

1. FreesatTransponders.pdf (35.3 KB, 10 downloads) 6 years old
    | Wed 19 Jul 2017 13:37:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.