My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Signal dropout?

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

Thanks Graham,
    I got up into my loft this afternoon. The inverter has a fault. It says "int error E 031" which I have googled and it says it's a relay failed to operate. Now watching the little LCD screen it cycles through a routine every 30 seconds :-
    A green LED flashes about once per second. Display shows Grid voltage measurement and reports that it's within limits and that it will connect in xx seconds.( xx will be current countdown point from the 30 secs.) Repeats this until 5 secs then just counts to zero. Soon after there is the error code, a Fault LED comes on solid orange for about 2 secs then it all repeats.
    Because this is entirely regular over about 20 - 30 minutes while I watched I am doubtful it's causing my problem as the loss of video/audio happens randomly with gaps of normal output for as little as 5 secs and then sometimes up to 30 - 45 mins of normal viewing. I have observed the loss of video/audio happening throughout the day from as early as 6:30 a.m to 11:30 p.m so it doesn't seem to be related to anything we are doing or using either.
    So now I am completely stumped. Considering how much I have spent in time and money so far I am going to order some WF100 and run that along the same route as the RG6 I have installed now but straight to the Freesat box not via a wall plate.

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 21:16:35 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barrowman - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham,
    I got up into my loft this afternoon. The inverter has a fault. It says "int error E 031" which I have googled and it says it's a relay failed to operate. Now watching the little LCD screen it cycles through a routine every 30 seconds :-
    A green LED flashes about once per second. Display shows Grid voltage measurement and reports that it's within limits and that it will connect in xx seconds.( xx will be current countdown point from the 30 secs.) Repeats this until 5 secs then just counts to zero. Soon after there is the error code, a Fault LED comes on solid orange for about 2 secs then it all repeats.
    Because this is entirely regular over about 20 - 30 minutes while I watched I am doubtful it's causing my problem as the loss of video/audio happens randomly with gaps of normal output for as little as 5 secs and then sometimes up to 30 - 45 mins of normal viewing. I have observed the loss of video/audio happening throughout the day from as early as 6:30 a.m to 11:30 p.m so it doesn't seem to be related to anything we are doing or using either.
    So now I am completely stumped. Considering how much I have spent in time and money so far I am going to order some WF100 and run that along the same route as the RG6 I have installed now but straight to the Freesat box not via a wall plate.

Did you run through the transponders I posted and check the reception ?

Use the Foxsat it has much superior manual tuning and gives figures in percentage values rather than a vague barchart.

Sorry you will have to print and paste the two pages together (The free PDF converter is a tad limited and .xls and .htm formats aren't allowed as uploads. I can upload a .html or .xls (compatible with Excel or free compatibles) to a file share site if it helps.

The info will help to check if it's a frequency issue or a alignment issue.

Once this is available it might be as simple as a minor dish realignment (azimuth, elevation or less likely skew (in the case of skew channel polarisation differences is the clue).

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 21:45:30 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

I didn't do the checks yet. I only did a quick check on the Inverter and have been out most of the time before and after. Might get some time tomorrow but definitely Saturday. Bidding on a replacement Inverter now. Identical to the failed one so should be an easy swap. I have a pdf editor I use so should be able to sort the file thanks.
    Btw was used to much less than 100% signal/quality in scotland even with 60cm dish ( mainly all the rain

| Wed 19 Jul 2017 22:19:45 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barrowman - 11 hours ago  » 
    I didn't do the checks yet. I only did a quick check on the Inverter and have been out most of the time before and after. Might get some time tomorrow but definitely Saturday. Bidding on a replacement Inverter now. Identical to the failed one so should be an easy swap. I have a pdf editor I use so should be able to sort the file thanks.
    Btw was used to much less than 100% signal/quality in scotland even with 60cm dish ( mainly all the rain

Was that before SES-ASTRA replaced all the satellites at 28.2E ? The UK spot beams are now very strong.

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 9:41:11 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Barrowman - 12 hours ago  » ...Btw was used to much less than 100% signal/quality in scotland even with 60cm dish ( mainly all the rain

Your dish was either out of alignment or obscured by natural obstructions (trees, hills etc), as with a 60cm dish I have always had close to 100% signal/quality. Despite any rain

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 10:24:13 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

Barrowman - 12 hours ago  » ...Btw was used to much less than 100% signal/quality in scotland even with 60cm dish ( mainly all the rain

Your dish was either out of alignment or obscured by natural obstructions (trees, hills etc), as with a 60cm dish I have always had close to 100% signal/quality. Despite any rain

Agree - my dish is a Mark 3 Zone 2, but my neighbour has a Mark 4 Zone 1 I set up for him and gets very similar readings. 100/100 on all UK spot beams.

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 12:30:19 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

Yes it's quite a hilly island and I could find nowhere I could site the dish which gave a fully clear line of sight. I tried on a pole but it wasn't practical with what I had to stop it swaying about in the wind. I spent almost 2 days trying different places so ended up with what worked usually. Couldn't afford a lot at the time. We did have a freeview box but we only got around 15 channels including radio in the area with it.

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 13:56:10 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I had occasion to run a twin feed one with RG6 and the other WF100. RG6 decremented the signal strength from almost 100% on the WF feed by around 5% at worst. So unless your RG6 has a fault in it changing to WF is, IMHO, not going to dramatically fix your problem. It might do if your signal was on a low threshold, but from what you say you are getting a good signal on your other box.

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 14:42:38 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barrowman

As you have probably gathered the only thing I haven't changed is the cable so rather than using RG6 I thought I might just as well use WF100 both for making a small increase in signal and maybe more important screening. Obviously if here is a fault on the current cables that will fix it anyway.
    When I can get some boards up in my loft I will switch off the duff inverter so that may also be the way to cure my problem.
    If neither solve the problem I will be completely stumped. Unless I sell up and move somewhere else :D.

| Thu 20 Jul 2017 15:01:15 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wizard

hi i am having the same problem since i accepted the latest up grade.its nothing to do with the dish or box connections.
    eg i cant get bbc2 it said signal not strong enough yet i can get bbc 2 hd, bbc1 ok cant get bbc1 hd cant get lot of channels but can get on demand.
    when i look at the settings signal info i can see that the signal strengths fluctuate, and tuner one has been dropping out.
    this problem has started since the last update.
    lets hope humax gets it sorted soon

| Sat 22 Jul 2017 12:07:32 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.