My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Signal Issues - Retune

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ianblamey

Hello, I have a PVR5000T. Recent signal issues particularly with the HD channels have prompted me to retune, not having done so for quite some time

Postcode PL26 6EL. I have manually retuned to the Redruth transmitter.

As a result I have Movies4men on 40 and 794.
    True Entertainment on 790 with PLease rescan now in the EPG.
    True Movies on 791.

I'm yet to test if my signal has improved but why the above results and does it matter please?

Many thanks

Ian

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 6:43:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ianblamey - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have manually retuned to the Redruth transmitter.

Please can you explain what you mean by "manually retuned". The manual tuning FAQ is at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 8:25:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

The Fact that you Have Movies on Both 40 (which is the correct one)
    And 794 which isn't. Shows that you are picking up signals from two different Transmitters. You should get the strongest signal on n/o 40. not 794.
    IF the above is correct, I would first of all Delete all the channel in the 700's.
    If you still have a signal problem ,Make sure your Arial is A facing the correct transmitter for your area.( you can find out by typing in your Postcode & House N/0
    on the Digital TV transmitter for my house website).
    If you still have problems get a good Arial installer in to check out your Arial type & positioning are correct.
    The reason I suggest the above is We had the exact symptoms you have.
    Come to find out we were picking up 3 different transmitter. I deleted all the 700's channels which sorted it out. Our Arial was turns 22 degrees, I did a normal Full Auto retune Hence no 700s.on the Humax However out TV still picks them all up including the 700. I just edit out the wrong ones.
    Finally If you go on the website to look for your correct Transmitter It should say which series of numbers are your strongest signals for your particular Transmitter. I hope I've been able to Help. Good Luck If I'm right, Both your true channels should also not be in the 700s.

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 9:02:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    The Fact that you Have Movies on Both 40 (which is the correct one)
    And 794 which isn't. Shows that you are picking up signals from two different Transmitters. You should get the strongest signal on n/o 40. not 794.
    IF the above is correct, I would first of all Delete all the channel in the 700's.
    If you still have a signal problem ,Make sure your Arial is A facing the correct transmitter for your area.( you can find out by typing in your Postcode & House N/0
    on the Digital TV transmitter for my house website).
    If you still have problems get a good Arial installer in to check out your Arial type & positioning are correct.
    The reason I suggest the above is We had the exact symptoms you have.
    Come to find out we were picking up 3 different transmitter. I deleted all the 700's channels which sorted it out. Our Arial was turns 22 degrees, I did a normal Full Auto retune Hence no 700s.on the Humax However out TV still picks them all up including the 700. I just edit out the wrong ones.
    Finally If you go on the website to look for your correct Transmitter It should say which series of numbers are your strongest signals for your particular Transmitter. I hope I've been able to Help. Good Luck If I'm right, Both your true channels should also not be in the 700s.

You are chancing your arm by simply deleting the channels in the 700's. That would only work if all the uhf channels from the desired transmitter have a highest UHF carrier that is lower than the unwanted transmitter if not some of the channels you need to keep will be in the higher block.

The correct way is identify the uhf carriers your best transmitter uses and make a note of the ones that use DVB-T2.

Delete all your existing radio and TV channels first. Then using manual tune scan and save each Mux in turn using the list the list of UHF carriers normally selecting DVB-T but changing to DVB-T2 for the ones that use DVB-T2.

eg The OP's transmitter Redruth has the following carriers

PSB-1 44 DVB-T
    PSB-2 41 DVB-T
    PSB-3 47 DVB-T2
    COM 4 48 DVB-T
    COM5 33 DVB-T
    COM 6 32 DVB-T

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 12:09:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Agreed, that's why I did state to check that infact that ianblameys should be on the Redruth transmitter first.
    In fact parts of Bexhill on sea is on the Hastings Transmitter, which bounces the signal from east Kent, another part is served from Brighton.
    And the third part is served from Heathfield. Most area's can pick up at least 2 of them at different strengths. That's why I mentioned to look up on line using the Postcode checker, which should also give Exactly what numbers are used by the correct transmitter for that postcode.

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 13:10:29 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

I'm down the Eastern end of Bexhill and can only 'get' the Hastings Tx. Local high ground precludes Heathfield or the Freeview lite Bexhill.
    If the OP has really 'manually tuned' his box, he shouldn't get any 'errant' LCNs.
    One way of clearing out the database before a manual tune is to do an auto tune with no aerial (unless you are in a super strong sig area).

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 15:56:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Re the 790s, I thought that they were temporary assignments used when channels change from one Mux to another, not somewhere for duplicates caused by multiple transmitter reception, which I believe usually go in the 800s.

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 16:21:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

A1944 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Re the 790s, I thought that they were temporary assignments used when channels change from one Mux to another, not somewhere for duplicates caused by multiple transmitter reception, which I believe usually go in the 800s.

Yes that is what they are. Both are transmitted from the same transmitter for a short period for some channels after they have jumped mux.

Some of us use HDR-FOX T2s and have setup the HDR-FOX T2 to automatically delete any superfluous 790 channels (using something called tunefix), which is possibly why some have forgotten this can happen, and is quite normal for freeview.

ianblamey - 11 hours ago  »  why the above results and does it matter please?

No it dosn't matter.
    Those channels have moved mux. Now that you have retuned they are being transmitted on the new mux and you are seeing them on the normal channel numbers that you are used to.
    The old mux is now transmitting with the retune message you see on the 790 numbers. But for those who haven't retuned yet the message will appear on the normal channel numbers as a warning to these who haven't retuned yet.

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 18:21:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

redmic

What I have deduced so far about True entertainment & films is that they have been mived to Local Mux and If you are nit close enough to a local channel and want to view then tough luck

| Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:09:50 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ianblamey

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

The manual retune was carried out as per the FAQ.

My setup which has remained the same for the last 18 months is as follows:

HDR FOX2
    PVR 5000T
    An aerial feed into a Fringe Masthead Amplifier with direct outputs to the pvrs and TV.

Most of my viewing is from recordings which in the last week have been ruined by intermittent but extreme picture pixellation.

Yesterday I watched the tennis live on BBC1 HD. Picture was good for a couple of hours then I started to receive the "no signal or too weak message" every few minutes.

Signal tests confirm
    HDR FOX2 - 85%
    PVR5000T - 100%

I don't know what they were before. It is just so frustrating when the setup has been so stable and reliable for so long.

Many thanks

Ian

| Mon 15 Jul 2019 5:36:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.