My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Some Channels With No Signal Reception

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blake

Thanks Graham. I bit the bullet and did the factory default reset. Went well. I found a good S & Q signal at both tuners, connected with 2 cable (sic), but only for the same channels which I had before. The ones which were "missing" are still so - No Signal at either tuner, but still shows as 2 cable.

Peculiarly, the TRUE channels reappeared but when (out of curiosity) I had a look at signal info for one the little picture went blank and the No Signal indication returned. Afterwards, none of these channels was accessible.

A couple of things I have noticed since the reset is an advert for Freesat App for mobiles that appeared before accessing the Recordings screen (don't remember seeing this at previous initial setup), and the font for the channels list (but not the programmes) in the EPG looks different. The latest software update is dated 20 JUL 2015, shortly before my problems started - could this have some bearing on the matter (though, if so, I guess other people would have had similar problems).

Otherwise, I guess I will have to somehow try testing with a good box/feed setup to diagnose where the problem actually lies.

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 20:55:07 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's not a problem at your end.

You need to contact your landlord if you rent the property or if you own the flat to whoever is responsible for the communal services. In both cases you are paying for a satellite service you are not getting. (Either in rent or a service charge).

By all means bring the contents of this thread to the attention of whoever comes to fix the problem, as it could help to find the problem.

Had you had your own dish it would have been much easier to fix yourself,

| Mon 10 Aug 2015 21:41:10 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Raz7

Hello Graham - Just picking up on your contributions to this old thread now that I have a similar problem. My problem differs in that the audio visual loss is across all channels with the same Humax signal weakness message. It happens randomly and I cannot find any correlation to its occurence. It is off for anything from 5 to 60min, and then comes back with no change at my end. Totally random and usually at night time. What I was trying to understand was your contribution copied here
    "
    The box doesn't power the lnb or anything else. The Quattro lnb is powered by the multiswitch(es). It has no band or polarisation switching, each of the four segments is permanently locked to one of the four possible combinations (high band/low band, Horizontal polarisation and Vertical Polarisation) The multiswitch simply uses the DC and AC control signals from a connected tuner and simply routes the request to the appropriate segment of the Quattro lnb.
    A standard universal lnb takes power from any output that has DC power from the remote end. The DC voltage and ac tone from any connected tuner only serve to switch that particular output to the correct band and polarisation for the channel the tuner is using. As well as lnb switching the same control signals can be used to select different lnbs if a diseqc switch is fitted.
    My set up is also taking a feed from a communal dish in a new 12 flat building that has experienced all sorts of problems with the build- I had to have one telephone node replaced and another rewired in a prewired building. In my previous flat it had its own dish and there were no problems at all,so current problem is location specific. I have a SAT 1 feed only to the Humax and left it at that when I found a full selection of channels I am interested in watching. I have a management company agent's engineer arriving at 8am tomorrow and I would like to capitalise on your technical contribution here. Paraphrasing what you said here, please confirm if my understanding is correct. The standard LNB which is probably what I had on my dish at the old flat operates as you describe in the second paragraph above and the communal service in the current flat is provided by the Quattro set-up you describe in the first paragraph.
    In a twelve flat set-up can you please describe for me what the likely set-up is here; I have a twin feed service to three rooms and there are 12 flats with a similar set-up - how many multiswitches are there likely to be? and would an installer opt for more than one dish (unlikely I would have thought)? and how are the multiswitches / powered?
    Thanks in advance.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 18:17:44 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Has to be a guess you will have one dish with a quattro lnb feeding a system requiring 6 seperate feeds to each of 12 flats if I understand you correctly (impressive level of service incidentally) So you need a install assuming a conventional setup with 6 cables to each flat giving 72 outputs from a single dish (not a problem). SCR technology can reduce the number of cables required.

You would need at least 3 like this (they can be cascaded).

http://www.satshop.co.uk/delta-mse-5024n/p/249

They will be powered from the landlords communal services board.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 21:09:05 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Raz7

Thanks Graham, So if I have occasional loss of audio visual for all channels and am the only one in the building (don't know if this is true) using FREESAT what is likely to be the problem? This old thread tended to suggest that it is not the Humax box, and the LNB must be okay else there would be others complaining, so what could cause it to go off randomly? I am hoping the engineer tomorrow isn't going to blame my STB.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 21:33:26 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Loss of audio suggests a problem with whatever you are using for the audio (I take it you are using a TV). A lnb reception issue will affect both video and audio, they are both embedded in the same digital data stream.

First thing to try is setting the box to output the same audio standard for both HD and SD channels (Some TV's have problems with Dolby Digital audio used on HD channels).

In the TV settings, change the digital audio out to stereo.

After this turn down the volume on your TV, turn up the box volume using it's remote to near max, now set a normal listening level using your TV remote.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 22:13:12 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DMB

Hello Graham and Blake. I'm a new member and not sure if it's Ok to butt in but I have found this discussion very helpful. I have lost all my horizontally polarised channels, the vertical ones ok. Good signal strength and quality on these on both channels but 'No signal' on the lost channels. Wondering if I should do a reset to default but would that loose my recordings on the HDD? Any advice would be appreciated.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 0:07:48 #27 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

DMB - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hello Graham and Blake. I'm a new member and not sure if it's Ok to butt in but I have found this discussion very helpful. I have lost all my horizontally polarised channels, the vertical ones ok. Good signal strength and quality on these on both channels but 'No signal' on the lost channels. Wondering if I should do a reset to default but would that loose my recordings on the HDD? Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't do a reset to default as you will be unable to receive the freesat transponder on 11428 H. You could try that frequency on a non-freesat single frequency search and if no signal then stop there.

There could be several reasons for loss of one polarity, however the overwhelming odds point to a defective LNB assuming you are not on a communal system.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 6:59:33 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DMB - 8 hours ago  » 

Factory reset will not affect your existing recordings but will delete your recording schedule and reset user options to default (eg box volume, power saving, auto power off, skip settings etc). As Repassac says don't do a factory reset (or freesat retune) as the process will fail at the postcode validation stage. This requires the box to download a temporary database from the Freesat home transponder. Depending on postcode this will hide channels not assigned to your area from your postcode. eg All other ITV SD areas other than ITV London.

It's safe to do a manual tune full FTA scan to ascertain what transponders are missing (delete all existing non-freesat Radio and TV first). If fully working you should find about 490 channels or so.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 9:01:49 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

DMB

Thanks Guys (or maybe it's girls) for a prompt response. I am not on a communal system. Forgive me but I don't know what an LNB is. I did most of my electronic engineering before digital and at aged 80 struggling to get to grips with this - but determined to do so. Am I right in thinking it is the Humax box that distinguishes between the H and V channels or is it done somehow on the rooftop dish? Can't see how the latter is possible unless the H and V signals come from different satellites??

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 10:01:17 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.