My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Sound break-up

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

At the beginning of 2012 I bought a Humax PVR-9300T, which gave excellent service up to the start of this year, when the recorded sound started to break up. There is no problem when watching live broadcasts or DVDs, only programmes recorded on the Humax itself. Dialogue reduces to a series of grunts for up to 2-3 minutes and then returns to normal. The picture is not affected. Life being what it is, these breaks usually occurs during conversations in plays vital to the understanding of the plot! At first we could live with it, but now it's too frequent. Does anyone know it this is a treatable illness, or is it terminal?

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 10:30:07 #1 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

If you play a recording twice, is the break up in the same place? (i.e. it's on the recording)

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 7:54:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

Yes. Though sometimes if I fast back over the problem area and play it again, it will then restore the missing sound. However, this is very seldom. The trouble only occurs with recordings.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 11:01:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldpedagog

I get the same problem frequently and recently an increasing breakup of the picture. I have had sound problems for some time. I have wondered as the hard drive is the only part of the machine that has moving parts will replacing the hard drive cure the problem. It has got so bad, the loss of sound and picture pixilation, that I often have to delete recordings soon after I start watching them as they are unwatchable!
    Should I by a new PVR or change the hard drive?

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 22:51:25 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

Do neither until you have investigated possible faults on your aerial system. Bearing in mind that we have had high pressure recently that could possibly have been causing it.

Where are you? Which Transmitter? Which channels are affected?

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 23:27:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If there were to be a failing in your box, and that is not a certainty, it would not necessarily be some moving part. There are non-moving components, such as power supply capacitors, which can deteriorate and fail with unpredictable symptoms.

| Sat 13 Jul 2019 23:33:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

Sorry for the delay in replying. The family has been attacked by some sort of bug. I'm in Gravesend, Kent but I don't know which transmitter I'm picking up. I think the problem applies to all the the BBC and freeview channels, but it's temporally behaving itself so I'm having to wait to check.

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 17:25:53 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

Which way is your aerial pointing. West(ish) = Crystal Palace; Southeast(ish) = Bluebell Hill

| Sun 21 Jul 2019 18:45:11 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

West(ish). And it's mounted on the chimney of a 3 Storey house, and pointed across a wide road, so there shouldn't be any extraneous interference.

Sorry if I seem a bit dim. You can see why I chose my username!

| Tue 23 Jul 2019 17:30:29 #9 |
  10. Trev

Trev

special member

Ok, that's Crystal Palace then.
    Which channels in particular are you getting the break up.
    Crystal Palace has recently (a few months ago) changed the frequency of a couple of multiplexes (one frequency that has several programmes modulated on it). This has put them out of band for a group A aerial which yours almost certainly is.
    If you can tell 'us' which programmes in particular are affected, 'we' can form an opinion of whether this is relevant or not to your problem.

The programmes that have moved frequency thus more likely to give problems are:
    Com 7
    Vintage TV, 57 5USA +1, 67 CBS Reality +1, 78 Quest Red +1, 92 Pick +1, 99 Smithsonian Channel HD, 107 BBC News HD, 108 Aljazeera English HD, 109 Channel 4+1 HD, 110 4seven HD, 113 RT HD, plus 2 others

Com 8
    CBS Action +1, 56 5STAR +1, 64 Freesports, 83 NOW 80s, 84 Now 90s, 89 Together, 91 PBS America, 96 Forces TV, 106 BBC Four HD, 114 Quest HD, 205 CBeebies HD, plus 2 others

| Tue 23 Jul 2019 18:35:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.