My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Sound break-up

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Trev - 2 hours ago  » 
    Which channels in particular are you getting the break up.
    Crystal Palace has recently (a few months ago) changed the frequency of a couple of multiplexes (one frequency that has several programmes modulated on it). This has put them out of band for a group A aerial which yours almost certainly is.
    If you can tell 'us' which programmes in particular are affected, 'we' can form an opinion of whether this is relevant or not to your problem.
    The programmes that have moved frequency thus more likely to give problems are:
    Com 7
    Vintage TV, 57 5USA +1, 67 CBS Reality +1, 78 Quest Red +1, 92 Pick +1, 99 Smithsonian Channel HD, 107 BBC News HD, 108 Aljazeera English HD, 109 Channel 4+1 HD, 110 4seven HD, 113 RT HD, plus 2 others
    Com 8
    CBS Action +1, 56 5STAR +1, 64 Freesports, 83 NOW 80s, 84 Now 90s, 89 Together, 91 PBS America, 96 Forces TV, 106 BBC Four HD, 114 Quest HD, 205 CBeebies HD, plus 2 others

COM7 and COM8 are both DVB-T2.
    Ignor's box is DVB-T only and therefore would not have been able to receive DVB-T2 channels either before the move, or after the move.

| Tue 23 Jul 2019 21:29:40 #11 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

Thanks Luke. I obviously missed that. It's just that Com 7/8 are giving lots of people trouble I got led astray.

| Tue 23 Jul 2019 23:05:45 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

Thanks for your reply. The only channels that we use regularly are BBC 1 London, BBC 2, BBC 4,
    ITV (freeview 3), Channel 4 (freeview 4), Channel 5 (freeview 44), More4 (Channel 18), Talking Pictures(channel 81).

The sound break-ups occur on recordings made on these channels, but not when they are viewed as broadcast.

| Fri 2 Aug 2019 13:03:35 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

There are lots of hard disks available if you wanted to try one to see if it fixed the problem. If you feel capable of changing a hard drive, pm me because I have about six tested 320gb drives in a drawer doing nothing. It requires only a Philips screwdriver, a steady hand and a little bit of nerve.

| Fri 2 Aug 2019 19:43:51 #14 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

This sounds like the well known playback jitter problem associated with the 9300 and 9150 machines, there are lots of posts on this forum about it. It was first noted years ago on recordings of the BBC3 programmes Family Guy and American Dad and has now spread to many other programme recordings. My partner's 9300 sometimes does it just before the end of a recorded programme annoyingly jumping through the last few seconds. Someone discovered that if you switch sound tracks the recording played without jumping but of course you've got no sound. Similarly if you play a recording at anything other than normal speed the recording doesn't jump but again you've got no sound. Humax were made well aware of the problem years ago but couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it, I won't buy Humax again.

| Fri 2 Aug 2019 22:03:20 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ignoramus

Thanks to everyone for spending time on me. I strayed into the archives recently and discovered that the problem has been discussed several times over the years. The consensus seems to be that changes in broadcast technology have left older 9300Ts struggling. So, as mine was bought at the beginning of 2012 perhaps it needs replacing. Batteryman kindly offered me a replacement hard drive, which apparently only requires a Philips screwdriver, a steady hand a a bit of nerve to install. Unfortunately at 85 I can only provide the screwdriver.

I've just found out the the television engineer who has looked after us for many years is also familiar with PVRs, So I've asked him to take a look at ours.

If he finds the answer, I'll let you know. In the meantime thanks again for your help

| Fri 9 Aug 2019 14:06:24 #16 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

If your TV man finds the answer to the 9150/9300 jumping problem I'm sure there'll be a lot of people interested to hear it.

| Fri 9 Aug 2019 15:58:38 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.