My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Still no Netflix support? No DRM chip.

(44 posts)
  1. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

Hello all.

I've been following the Humax Aura for a while now, as I had to do a review for it last month.

Except it had no Netflix app. People can say that's okay a lot of other devices have Netflix, but that defeats the purpose of this being an "Everything in One" device.

After researching this a bit, it appears the Humax Aura doesn't have a specific hardware DRM chip, which if true would mean the Aura will never be able to support Netflix no matter what updates they release.

I still have the review unit as I don't tend to sell on stuff unless necessary, and would love to do an update on the Aura mid-late year.

Has anyone got any input on the Hardware DRM chip? Is the 2014 sideload app still the newest one possible to use(without mouse) too? Thanks

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 10:03:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Have you tried loading Kodi and then one of the Netflix addons?

I have suggested this before but no-one bothered to try (as far as I am aware).

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 10:24:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Shaunhoare - 3 hours ago  » 
    After researching this a bit, it appears the Humax Aura doesn't have a specific hardware DRM chip, which if true would mean the Aura will never be able to support Netflix no matter what updates they release.

Exactly what DRM chip do you think it would need?

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 13:17:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

LFCKEV71

Just put Netflix in Kodi but all in SD no HD of 4K. Put it on a fire stick perfect all in full HD and 4K

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 13:39:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

LFCKEV71 - 59 mins ago  » 
    Just put Netflix in Kodi but all in SD no HD of 4K. Put it on a fire stick perfect all in full HD and 4K

Have you tried running the tool to see if it is Level 1?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidfung.drminfo

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 14:41:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Also have a look here :-
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767&page=36

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 14:45:31 #8 |
  9. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

Martin Liddle - 4 hours ago  » 

Thanks for confirming Aura would need a DRM chipset, which it may not have, confirming my original post. Grr, even a 720p app would be 2x better than sideloading quality.

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 17:38:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Shaunhoare - 1 hour ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 4 hours ago  » 

Thanks for confirming Aura would need a DRM chipset, which it may not have, confirming my original post. Grr, even a 720p app would be 2x better than sideloading quality.

You have made a mess of the quoting and done nothing to demonstrate that the Aura doesn't have the required hardware. It is a possible explanation but so is the explanation in the first link "By limiting all of the other devices out there, Netflix has the ability to “steer” you toward specific devices—devices that are paying Netflix the most in licensing and advertising fees."

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 19:19:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.