My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

T2000 sudden menu style change.

(114 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson
    No pirate would ever bother with a consumer pvr they would buy a HTPC PC or a generic FTA HD satellite box. Humax don't release sales figures but it was a very popular pvr (I have two). I have a Vbox IP connected box that records up to 4 HD channels across up to two transponders, records to USB and streams across my network also can view recordings anywhere with WiFi on tablets and smart phones as well as my TV's. Cost less than £100.00.

I think you have misunderstood what I'm saying. I accept a pirate is not going to bother with a PVR. However, it's down to piracy in general that broadcasters and film studios have now gone to great lengths to lock down media devices wherever possible. The fact you can't copy HD content but you can SD is a case in point. As said earlier in this thread that is why EE had to hobble their media device i.e. under threat of legal action from the broadcasters.

Why are the present generation of PVRs far more restricted than those earlier boxes? In the main it's because modern media is digital not analogue thereby enabling the end user to make perfect copies, or could do but for restrictions.

| Wed 29 Mar 2017 22:41:13 #91 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Visionman - 9 hours ago  » Oh, and lets not forget the Toppy!

Let's not as, with MyStuff, it is far and the gold standard for what a PVR should be capable of. That Youview does not even come close is a crying shame.

| Wed 29 Mar 2017 23:06:09 #92 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 

Let's not as, with MyStuff, it is [by] far and the gold standard for what a PVR should be capable of. That Youview does not even come close is a crying shame.

Unfortunately that isn't the products design or intention.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 0:21:41 #93 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 9 hours ago  » 

Let's not as, with MyStuff, it is far and the gold standard for what a PVR should be capable of. That Youview does not even come close is a crying shame.

Unfortunately the name of the game now is 'restricted access' not 'unfettered'.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 8:35:58 #94 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MidnightVoice

Hello all I bought my T1000 when they came out and it has been pretty good except I have to restart it every so often now which is not ideal but even less ideal is BT now taking over YouView and making my box a BT one with all stuff I don't want and stupid pictures instead of lists and stuff I do want like the box working like it used to all gone. So I think well what can I get instead now that has the good YouView stuff from before and not this BT nonsense and maybe won't need so many reboots as we know T1000s get old so this is all making me think what about a new box? Where the FVP-4000T comes in as I hear it has all the players and the past EPG and it records and it won't say BT blah blah blah on it even though I didn't buy it from BT like the YouView box does and so it might be as good for me except I hear they are slow and unreliable and so on but somebody said no that is in the past and it is good now. So I would like to find out from somebody who has one what it is like now, and so I get yes, see post number 38 so I do but that is about YouView and I know about YouView or I did till it went all wrong so what I want to know about is would this FVP suit me as a replacement but there are no details of it there as it was claimed which is a shame as that is what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me where I should look as I would have thought it would be on here somewhere though most topics seem to be problems with it like on any forum you hear the bade but not the good so who can tell me the good or where to find it please?

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 13:01:02 #95 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

Hi MV and yes, I agree about post 38, as I too wanted a link to FVP and not YV. So here you go -

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/faq-and-saliant-points

Just click on the blue highlighted FVP 4000T link and it displays a 'how to' page.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 13:17:23 #96 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

I don't have a recent Humax YouView box, but I am led to believe that they are more reliable than the DTR-T1000, which is well known to suffer from all manner of reliability issues; I always found this odd as it is a close relative of the HDR-FOX T2, which is rock solid.
    I quite like the new YouView update. However as YouView boxes tend to be bog-standard PVRs, virtually given away with broadband subscriptions they are clearly aimed at the mass market non-techie user, typically older people. My one criticism of the new UI is that it would be very difficult to use by people with vision impairment, and since older people are more likely to fall into this category, the update risks alienating a sizeable number of their key demographic.
    Even Channel 4 still cock up AR signals now and then so the fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 14:16:20 #97 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MidnightVoice - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hello all I bought my T1000 when they came out and it has been pretty good except I have to restart it every so often now which is not ideal but even less ideal is BT now taking over YouView and making my box a BT one with all stuff I don't want and stupid pictures instead of lists and stuff I do want like the box working like it used to all gone. So I think well what can I get instead now that has the good YouView stuff from before and not this BT nonsense and maybe won't need so many reboots as we know T1000s get old so this is all making me think what about a new box? Where the FVP-4000T comes in as I hear it has all the players and the past EPG and it records and it won't say BT blah blah blah on it even though I didn't buy it from BT like the YouView box does and so it might be as good for me except I hear they are slow and unreliable and so on but somebody said no that is in the past and it is good now. So I would like to find out from somebody who has one what it is like now, and so I get yes, see post number 38 so I do but that is about YouView and I know about YouView or I did till it went all wrong so what I want to know about is would this FVP suit me as a replacement but there are no details of it there as it was claimed which is a shame as that is what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me where I should look as I would have thought it would be on here somewhere though most topics seem to be problems with it like on any forum you hear the bade but not the good so who can tell me the good or where to find it please?

Putting paragraphs in your post really helps people to read it more easily.

Can I ask who your ISP is?

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 15:02:15 #98 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 47 minutes ago  » 
    I don't have a recent Humax YouView box, but I am led to believe that they are more reliable than the DTR-T1000, which is well known to suffer from all manner of reliability issues; I always found this odd as it is a close relative of the HDR-FOX T2, which is rock solid.
    I quite like the new YouView update. However as YouView boxes tend to be bog-standard PVRs, virtually given away with broadband subscriptions they are clearly aimed at the mass market non-techie user, typically older people. My one criticism of the new UI is that it would be very difficult to use by people with vision impairment, and since older people are more likely to fall into this category, the update risks alienating a sizeable number of their key demographic.
    Even Channel 4 still cock up AR signals now and then so the fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

You have actually answered your own question i.e. because they are designed for the non-techie market.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 15:04:29 #99 |
  10. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Faust - 8 minutes ago  » 

MontysEvilTwin - 47 minutes ago  » 

You have actually answered your own question i.e. because they are designed for the non-techie market.

I didn't realise that I was only asking one simple question, thanks for straightening that out for me.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 15:13:46 #100 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.