My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

T2000 sudden menu style change.

(114 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MidnightVoice

Visionman: Thankyou just what I wanted, it looks good, could well suit me better than a new YouView box, especially now.

MontysEvitTwin: Yes I hear new YouView boxes are more reliable, they put the power supply separate, maybe that was it.

Faust: This better? My ISP is BT since you can't get anyone else out here, seems like a conspiracy to me, but that is a different story.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 15:17:58 #101 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

Sorry?

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 16:32:24 #102 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

MontysEvilTwin - 4 hours ago  » 
    The fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

Unfortunately no YouView will ever offer these features. Though it should be noted the USB ports can be used, but not for exporting. As all YouViews are DRM'd up to the eyeballs.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 18:34:42 #103 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MontysEvilTwin

I didn't realise that I was only asking one simple question, thanks for straightening that out for me.

Even Channel 4 still cock up AR signals now and then so the fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

Well if you look at the above you are talking about stuff the average non-techie would know nothing about. However, you qualified your post with the following -

they are clearly aimed at the mass market non-techie user, typically older people

So you state they are aimed at non-techie folk then bemoan the fact they haven't got 'techie whistles and bells'.

Anyway I'm glad I was able to assist you on this occasion.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 22:56:45 #104 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MidnightVoice
    Faust: This better? My ISP is BT since you can't get anyone else out here, seems like a conspiracy to me, but that is a different story.

That then answers your question as to why you have BT branding on the UI. If you were with TalkTalk you would have TalkTalk branding and if you were with neither then you would simply have Youview branding. That's how it is now - they are simply 'skins' so nothing more sinister than that.

| Thu 30 Mar 2017 23:01:46 #105 |
  6. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

MontysEvilTwin
    I didn't realise that I was only asking one simple question, thanks for straightening that out for me.

Even Channel 4 still cock up AR signals now and then so the fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

Well if you look at the above you are talking about stuff the average non-techie would know nothing about. However, you qualified your post with the following -
    they are clearly aimed at the mass market non-techie user, typically older people

So you state they are aimed at non-techie folk then bemoan the fact they haven't got 'techie whistles and bells'.

Selective picking on certain points is a wonderful thing. I also talked about padding and manual recording which even non-techies would care about, as no one likes missing the end of their programmes. The FVP-4000T has DLNA and copy of SD recordings, and I think that these are now mainstream features, rather than esoteric techie-only functions.
    If you want to quote me in future, please refrain from editing sections out of my posts, it rather distorts the discussion.

| Fri 31 Mar 2017 2:06:28 #106 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Visionman - 7 hours ago  » 

MontysEvilTwin - 4 hours ago  » 
    The fact that there is no padding or manual record option is a serious omission. Also, why have USB ports if you can't export SD recordings or even update the software this way? This is as useful as giving condoms to eunuchs. My other gripe, why no DLNA server, even SD only? I do wish that rather than messing about introducing slick user interfaces, they had worked on improving the core functionality first.

Unfortunately no YouView will ever offer these features. Though it should be noted the USB ports can be used, but not for exporting. As all YouViews are DRM'd up to the eyeballs.

What can the USB ports be used for? Tea towel holders?

| Fri 31 Mar 2017 2:08:12 #107 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

Yeah... something like that. But they stick in, not out.

| Fri 31 Mar 2017 2:23:18 #108 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 5 hours ago  » 

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

MontysEvilTwin

Selective picking on certain points is a wonderful thing. I also talked about padding and manual recording which even non-techies would care about, as no one likes missing the end of their programmes. The FVP-4000T has DLNA and copy of SD recordings, and I think that these are now mainstream features, rather than esoteric techie-only functions.
    If you want to quote me in future, please refrain from editing sections out of my posts, it rather distorts the discussion.

And there was me thinking I had selectively included these non-techie features in the included quote.....Oh, wait though.

You alluded to the fact there are a number of more 'rounded' alternatives e.g. HDR 1000s family or the FVP4000T. You also say the Youview platform is aimed at a different non-techie market. Well I see a non-techie product as one where you simply need to press the minimum amount of buttons for the product to perform simple tasks e.g. record a programme.

I'm not even convinced the non-techie user would be able or want to use manual recording or DLNA.

| Fri 31 Mar 2017 7:46:48 #109 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MidnightVoice

Faust: You say a skin, but it is more than that it is a whole BT TV setup except you can't use any of it unless you subscribe. So I think YouView are in cahoots with their partner ISPs to push their services on you which to me is a conspiracy, is it not to you?

Everyone: Does it get a bit snippy in here?

| Fri 31 Mar 2017 8:11:32 #110 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.