My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The "empty schedule" problem

(153 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

redmic

I also had an occurrence of disappearance of recording schedule.
    Last Sunday to try to get rid of another problem I had been having, in the morning I carried out a factory reset after noting my schedule contents.
    After the reset I carried out a manual re-tune (I have two transmitters on approx the same bearing and I like to choose the closest one) [pity you can't choose manual tune during reset].

Using the search facility I found the programmes I wished to record and set them up to record. However I noticed in the evening the programmes although still scheduled were not set to record.
    It would appear that after factory reset the programmes are still scheduled but not marked to record.

I have also noticed that on the 9th Nov (presidential election) the programmes scheduled were not broadcast but at the time a required programme was due, the recorder recorded what was being broadcast even though it was not the required.
    Looks like we're back to putting in a record time and hope that it will be broadcast. What is the point of broadcasting programme data if it is going to be ignored.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 10:31:56 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

drkcw

New to this forum, but I have read quite a few posts here since buying a FVP4000T in early November trying to figure out what's up with unit, or is it just me?

The original unit has been replaced by the retailer. Unit 1 had the 'rebooting' problems discussed in another post and the 'empty schedule' problem. During setup the software upgraded from whatever it was to 1.01.25. Following various emails to Humax I waited for the next update to address the 'rebooting' problem. 1.01.49 duly arrived and this did seem to fix this issue. However the empty schedule problem was not fixed - I had assumed, I guess incorrectly, that this was tied up with the rebooting problem. Further communication with Humax and the retailer resulted in Humax offering to take a look at the unit (seemingly unaware of the 'empty schedule' issue) and the retailer offering a replacement. On the basis that unit 1 was possibly faulty I decided to try the replacement.

Unit 2 is a slightly updated model - the power plug is different, a little larger and the standby/record and power lights have been moved to the centre of the unit and are now blue for power, red for standby and purple for recording. This unit came with firmware 1.01.25 installed and upgraded to 1.01.49 during setup. With unit 1 after the upgrade to 1.01.49 the Schedule was ok for about two days before going blank (most often) or only showing one or two scheduled recordings. Unit 2 went almost a full three days before doing exactly the same.

It's driving me nuts. I have never had to waste quite so much time on a brand new piece of technology (other than Windows of course).

Along with the 'empty schedule' unit 1 did feel a bit unstable generally, slow to respond to the Recording button or access some menus. Unit 2 seems better in this regard, but certainly not what I would describe as rock solid.

Having read through this post here is my dilemna - do I hang on in hope that these issues will be addressed at some point or cut my losses and get a refund?

From my communications with Humax and also mentioned here there seems to be some denial on the part of the manufacture that this problem exists. However someone else here suggests that new software is being beta tested which may address this issue. Does anyone have any info to clarify any of this one way or the other?

Various searches have turned up a worryingly large amount of negative feedback regarding the FVP, including one retailer I came across stating that they've stopped stocking this unit because of excessive issues and returns. If this 'empty schedule' issue is only apparent on 'some' units just how unlucky am I to get two units in less than two months with this exact same problem?

Anyway, thought I'd post here before contacting Humax etc just in hope that someone can perhaps enlighten me as to whether these issues will likely as not be fixed eventually or will Humax just move on to manufacturing a new unit? In some of the stuff I've read both these options have been suggested, so I really am none the wiser at this moment.

For my money this IS a software issue. I love the functionality of the unit, when it works it's great. But perhaps it's just got too much going on and they'll never sort it out without a ground-up rebuild of firmware.. that's my worry.

Any updated info or advice would be much appreciated - Thanks in advance. If/when I do re-contact Humax regarding this I'll post again.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 17:51:03 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

HumaxUKNW

Personally, I think Humax should do a product recall, and replace all the 4000's with a new model, similar spec, ie 3 tuners, but with new improved fast software & a better remote.

Overall it's not too bad for a budget model, but the constant intermittent lack of a full schedule impacts other features, such as EPG Timers cancellation on series linked programmes....

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 18:06:25 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

captgeneralmark

Over the past week, I've been keeping an eye on the schedule. It seems that every other day the schedule is full (ie today, last Saturday, Thursday and Tuesday) and on the other days it's either completely blank or only has one or two programmes showing. All-in-all, that's strange but it is a pattern. Indicative of what exactly, I've no idea.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 18:27:57 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

HumaxUKNW - 1 hour ago  » 
    Personally, I think Humax should do a product recall, and replace all the 4000's with a new model, similar spec, ie 3 tuners, but with new improved fast software & a better remote...

Good luck with that one. History is not on your side. It took 2 years to get the Freesat G2 models, 1000/1010, working reasonably stable. Followed by the HDD missing problem, which they were flagged on in Nov 2015 and almost one year later they issued a fix at cost to the user. If I were a 4000T user I would get a satellite dish installed.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 19:44:27 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

HumaxUKNW

I already have a Humax Freesat PVR !!

At the moment, the 4000 is relegated to just providing backup recordings for the Humax Freesat machine.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 19:54:46 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

drkcw

Pollensa1946 - 22 hours ago  » 

HumaxUKNW - 1 hour ago  » 
    Personally, I think Humax should do a product recall, and replace all the 4000's with a new model, similar spec, ie 3 tuners, but with new improved fast software & a better remote...

Good luck with that one. History is not on your side. It took 2 years to get the Freesat G2 models, 1000/1010, working reasonably stable. Followed by the HDD missing problem, which they were flagged on in Nov 2015 and almost one year later they issued a fix at cost to the user. If I were a 4000T user I would get a satellite dish installed.

Oh dear, not a positive outlook then? I chose the FVP400OT based on various reviews and the fact that I've used one of their freesat with Freetime boxes and liked it. I am now kicking myself for not doing a bit more research.

I agree that a recall would probably be appropriate, but the starting point for that would presumably be acknowledgement from Humax that the issues we're discussing here are actually problems that need resolution - clearly that point has not yet been reached and perhaps it never will be.

It looks very much like the time to cut my losses has arrived..

| Tue 13 Dec 2016 18:30:35 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

captgeneralmark - 1 day ago  » 
    Over the past week, I've been keeping an eye on the schedule. It seems that every other day the schedule is full (ie today, last Saturday, Thursday and Tuesday) and on the other days it's either completely blank or only has one or two programmes showing. All-in-all, that's strange but it is a pattern. Indicative of what exactly, I've no idea.

Capt...,
    I believe you have the 500GB and 1TB models, at one point there seemed to be more problems with the 1TB, almost as if there was a timing problem with the 1TB simply taking longer to boot up and present the file system and the schedule population skipping a step as a result. Is this still the case? or are both 500GB and 1TB being sort of random'ish.
    Apart from very much disliking the UI and the slowness of operation; I've had none of the current problems i.e. reboots and loss of schedule with either the current or previous software.
    I'm surprised that a common denominator hasn't been found yet. History shows us more often than not it's software related, I don't see the point of a recall without the exact problem being first identified and a then fix available.

| Wed 14 Dec 2016 1:43:54 #48 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

drkcw - It is not half as bad as it is being portrayed.

Freesat:

1. I don't recall it taking 2 years to become stable/usuable.

2. Yes it took some time to ascertain what was causing the HDD issues.....repairs are free for in warranty customers, out of warranty customers pay for carriage only.

Less then 1% of the total units sold are affected by this problem.

3. There is an reboot problem being reported by some users currently - both freesat and Humax Towers are aware.

FVP 4000T:

I only witnessed the disappearing schedule once, on a beta not released publically, and no reboots to date.

The latest beta being tested by members of this forum appears to be stable - for me at least.

There is some nonsense posted elsewhere about this unit which is either user error of just plain mischief making.

| Wed 14 Dec 2016 9:19:28 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

captgeneralmark

Capt...,
    I believe you have the 500GB and 1TB models, at one point there seemed to be more problems with the 1TB, almost as if there was a timing problem with the 1TB simply taking longer to boot up and present the file system and the schedule population skipping a step as a result. Is this still the case? or are both 500GB and 1TB being sort of random'ish.

Yesterday the 1TB box had an empty schedule and today, following the pattern it has a full one. The 500GB box also has a full schedule today. However, I didn't check that box yesterday.

Now although the 1TB box started with an empty scedule yesterday, it had found one future program by mid-afternoon. Later on I added three more scheduled recordings, so it finished the day with four showing. Today, as I said the schedule is full (18 programmes).

| Wed 14 Dec 2016 10:53:15 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.