My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The "empty schedule" problem

(153 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gdavidson

I've been experiencing the disappearing schedule since the new firmware came out, sometimes it was there and other times it was blank, usually happening overnight.

Today I happened to have a blank schedule at power up and whilst looking for any clues, happened to notice two STV channels above channel 800. I manually deleted the two channels as they were on a second weaker MUX and immediately after that, my schedule was back. Not sure if it was a coincidence but I'm going to keep an eye on the schedule to see if it disappears again.

I do have a case open with Humax and will feed this back. Unfortunately at the moment, they want to exchange the unit but having seen a post above saying a newer hardware revision with the same firmware is also affected, I'm not very hopeful that will resolve what looks very much like a software issue!

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 11:53:01 #61 |
  2. aciddad

aciddad

special member

Not everyone is having this problem so it may be a batch of boxes that are affected. Changing the box might be worthwhile.

David

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 12:18:13 #62 |
  3. Bargepower

Bargepower

Perhaps that's the key to finding this problem and Humax being able to solve it - I've never had the missing schedule problem, I don't get any overlap from other transmitters so I don't get any 800 and above channels. Are the boxes that are losing the schedule using more than one transmitter, and therefore having channels in the 800 range?

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 12:34:19 #63 |
  4. RogerB

RogerB

special member

In the hope that it assists with proving (or otherwise) this theory my channel guide goes up in single digits to 0258, then 0600, 0601, 0793 and back to 0001. I don't have any missing schedule problems either. R-

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 12:48:17 #64 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Whilst experiencing this once on a beta not released publically, I always factory reset and check I am only tuned to one transmitter so do not think that is the reason.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 13:08:05 #65 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

Bargepower - 5 hours ago  » 
    Perhaps that's the key to finding this problem and Humax being able to solve it - I've never had the missing schedule problem, I don't get any overlap from other transmitters so I don't get any 800 and above channels. Are the boxes that are losing the schedule using more than one transmitter, and therefore having channels in the 800 range?

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    Whilst experiencing this once on a beta not released publically, I always factory reset and check I am only tuned to one transmitter so do not think that is the reason.

I can confirm that the empty/incomplete schedule issue is NOT caused by multiple transmitters. We have the problem but only receive from one transmitter (main not relay) and have no 800+ channels.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 17:51:52 #66 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

gdavidson - 6 hours ago  » 
    notice two STV channels above channel 800. I manually deleted the two channels as they were on a second weaker MUX and immediately after that, my schedule was back. Not sure if it was a coincidence

looks like a coincidence unfortunately, although it seems to have triggered a schedule repopulation. It's a shame no one's found a common demominator yet.

I'd be wary of manually deleting channels, my understanding is that it simply hides them from the user. Multiple transmitters still seems to cause all sorts of random issues. Best practice is a manual tune, start an auto tune, stop it immediately, save it as this clears/wipes the stored channels and then run a manual tune remembering which Mux uses DVB or DVBT2 and only tune to one transmitter regardless of how tempting it is to pick and choose. The schedule will be lost so a note needs to be taken first and re-entered which is a pain with a dozen or so scheduled, but ridiculous for some who have 70+ as I believe a poster recently had and impossible to fully restore for programmes which may drop out of the epg for a week or so and I'd imagine for most people the wrong time of year.

I don't experience the problem, but then I only look at the schedule out of interest to see if it's still there and it always has been. Life is so boring with my fvp4000t, extremely dull and slow UI and a box that seems to work. Why can't I live in a border area with 2-3 transmitters and a couple of relays, power cuts, brown outs, a local airport beaming high powered radar, WiFi that comes from the community village hall and the box connected to my valve TV via hdmi over ethernet. I'd be able to start a post claiming that my humax isn't fit for purpose, oh well, I should be careful for what I wish for, yep... schedule's still there bah humbug.
    It will be software related, fingers crossed that the next firmware will bring the box closer to what we all want.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 20:03:53 #67 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

gdavidson

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a coincidence too having seen the subsequent posts. I'll keep a close eye on the schedule to see if anything changes. The schedule seems to disappear and reappear every few days with no discernible pattern. Perhaps it's something as subtle as the Humax choking on certain EPG entries that have been scheduled to record. I often have entries in the schedule for which the programme information has not yet been retrieved, especially films broken into two parts on the same day that need to be recorded as a series.

Difficult one to pin down....!

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 22:44:31 #68 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

captgeneralmark

Getting fed up playing the "will it, won't it have a schedule" game, I thought I'd try a new way to get it back.
    I had previously downloaded the latest software onto a usb drive, so I inserted it and told the box to search for new software. It found new software on the drive (even though it was exactly the same as was already there), updated and I now have a schedule. Whether it will still be there tomorrow, anybody's quess.

Much faster than Humax's system restore method, and even faster than the power cycle method (also no wear and tear on the power socket).

By the way, trying to update the software via the internet results in nothing new found.

| Sun 18 Dec 2016 14:57:58 #69 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

gdavidson

A little update... my schedule disappeared again and I can confirm that if I delete any channel, the schedule immediately repopulates!

Given that automatic tuning, even although it asks me to select a region, is dragging in MUXs from another transmitter, I have now manually returned to see what happens. I wish the 4000 had an easy method of showing which MUXs were in use across all the channels.

Fingers crossed....

| Tue 20 Dec 2016 12:08:10 #70 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.