My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Thinking of Defecting to Freeview Play FVP5000T

(21 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

We have been hoping that an updated Humax Freesat Box may appear with the ability to record more than two concurrent programs and have a better and slicker UI. Many services now offer the ability to record multiple channels and we have had a lot of clashes recently which is usually down to broadcasters overlapping popular programs sometimes by just a few minutes. All that has appeared is a repackaged model (we have the original 1000S with an upgraded 2TB drive). We know Freesat control the UI but it is beginning to look dated and we also have the odd stability issue when recording two concurrent channels.

We are being drawn towards the Humax FVP5000T which has had very good reviews and can record up to 4 programs and watch a 5th. Its also available with a 2TB drive. We have an excellent Freeview signal as we have direct line of sight to a main transmitter.

We do not watch any non-Freesat channels and the channel lists look broadly similar.

We have been satellite users for around 20 years, originally with a Pace Sky box, then an early Sky+ before leaving them and having a Humax Foxsat-HDR.

Any reasons why we shouldn't make the switch?

Thanks for any advice.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 1:12:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

I've just changed from a Foxsat HDR to an FVP5000T because of programme clash problems. To me the improvement is enormous but you do have to spend time getting used to the different UI. My wife and I both adapted to it very quickly and we are both in our seventies. Unlike some others I don't find it at all slow, especially compared to the Foxsat HDR.

I did have some problems with my first unit but Humax swapped it for a new one which has been fine. Everything seems to work as Humax designed it to do. Many of the criticisms of it are that Humax should have done things differently. Personally I like to spend my time watching TV rather than nit-picking over Humax's implementation choices.

If you do get one I suggest you buy from somone like John Lewis as it will be easier to return if you have problems.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 9:59:08 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 9 hours ago  » 
    We have been hoping that an updated Humax Freesat Box may appear with the ability to record more than two concurrent programs and have a better and slicker UI. Many services now offer the ability to record multiple channels and we have had a lot of clashes recently which is usually down to broadcasters overlapping popular programs sometimes by just a few minutes. All that has appeared is a repackaged model (we have the original 1000S with an upgraded 2TB drive). We know Freesat control the UI but it is beginning to look dated and we also have the odd stability issue when recording two concurrent channels.
    We are being drawn towards the Humax FVP5000T which has had very good reviews and can record up to 4 programs and watch a 5th. Its also available with a 2TB drive. We have an excellent Freeview signal as we have direct line of sight to a main transmitter.
    We do not watch any non-Freesat channels and the channel lists look broadly similar.
    We have been satellite users for around 20 years, originally with a Pace Sky box, then an early Sky+ before leaving them and having a Humax Foxsat-HDR.
    Thanks for any advice.

Recording wise none at all. I have a HDR-1000S and a FVP-5000T (both with 2TB drives).

Neither is perfect. However the 1000S is a lot more responsive and most operations require less button presses. On the other hand the 5000T at least lists the episodes in a consistent date and time order unlike the weird order the 1000S produces when the broadcaster includes episode numbers.

Now if only Humax would auto select the oldest rather than the newest when opening a series folder, add the capability to some screens so that when you go up one at the top of a long list it jumps to the last and the reverse at the bottom end of the list.

It would also be handy when for instance you want to add a manual reservation you can jump to the channel you want to use by simply entering it's number as you can jump in the epg. It's a long way from 101 to 1 one channel at a time

A capability to add a series generated reminder would be handy on both boxes.

With a bit more work the 5000T could become excellent.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 11:13:18 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

You can use page jump for selecting channel when setting a manual timer, does make it a little quicker

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 11:26:44 #4 |
  5. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

davidrew - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for any advice.

Recording wise none at all. I have a HDR-1000S and a FVP-5000T (both with 2TB drives).
    Neither is perfect. However the 1000S is a lot more responsive and most operations require less button presses. On the other hand the 5000T at least lists the episodes in a consistent date and time order unlike the weird order the 1000S produces when the broadcaster includes episode numbers.
    Now if only Humax would auto select the oldest rather than the newest when opening a series folder, add the capability to some screens so that when you go up one at the top of a long list it jumps to the last and the reverse at the bottom end of the list.
    It would also be handy when for instance you want to add a manual reservation you can jump to the channel you want to use by simply entering it's number as you can jump in the epg. It's a long way from 101 to 1 one channel at a time
    A capability to add a series generated reminder would be handy on both boxes.
    With a bit more work the 5000T could become excellent.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Out if interest is there any interference between the remote controls for each box or do they happily co-exist with each other?

| Fri 1 Dec 2017 2:00:19 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

See the faq's

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-hdhdr-remote-2

My HDR-1000S is mode 1 and FVP-4000T mode 2. I also have a HDR-FOX-T2 and Foxsat-HDR in the same room. As there is 6 modes I have the capability to add another 2

| Fri 1 Dec 2017 9:17:01 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

Interesting thread.

I’ve got a slightly different situation in that I’ve been using a BT youview box for a couple of years, which has started to play up, so I’ve fixed my dish and have fired up my old 1000S.

I’m in two minds whether to upgrade my 1000S with a 2GB HDD, or switch to the FVP 5000.

Recording more than 2 channels is nice, but not essential to me, and I’m sure that UHD HDR (HLG) enabled boxes will appear sometime in 2018.

Parking the multiple tuner upgrade, is there a significant difference in user experience between the two, and is the media player in the FVP any better than the 1000s?

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 20:34:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

Just re-read the thread and Graham’s post seems to suggest that the differences are small, so I am tempted to stick with my old 1000s, especially now that Freesat support most freeview channels (one of the reasons I switched from Freesat to Freeview, e.g. channels like pick, quest, etc)

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 21:07:12 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ariharry - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Just re-read the thread and Graham’s post seems to suggest that the differences are small, so I am tempted to stick with my old 1000s, especially now that Freesat support most freeview channels (one of the reasons I switched from Freesat to Freeview, e.g. channels like pick, quest, etc)

If you are happy with the record two and watch a third, as on demand services are much the same and picture quality is near identical, seems to be very sensible.

For some the extra HD content for those with COM 7 access might be a consideration.

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 21:23:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

ariharry - 12 minutes ago  » 

If you are happy with the record two and watch a third, as on demand services are much the same and picture quality is near identical, seems to be very sensible.
    For some the extra HD content for those with COM 7 access might be a consideration.

Thanks Graham.

Are there any differences in media playback performance / capabilities?

I’ve got a PLEX server with a bunch of content, and was wondering whether the media player on the FVP was any better than the 1000s (the 1000s media player is basic, but from memory it worked with most content, though had some aspect ratio issues).

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 21:30:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.