Thinking of Defecting to Freeview Play FVP5000T

(21 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ariharry - 49 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

ariharry - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Just re-read the thread and Graham’s post seems to suggest that the differences are small, so I am tempted to stick with my old 1000s, especially now that Freesat support most freeview channels (one of the reasons I switched from Freesat to Freeview, e.g. channels like pick, quest, etc)

If you are happy with the record two and watch a third, as on demand services are much the same and picture quality is near identical, seems to be very sensible.
    For some the extra HD content for those with COM 7 access might be a consideration.

Thanks Graham.
    Are there any differences in media playback performance / capabilities?
    I’ve got a PLEX server with a bunch of content, and was wondering whether the media player on the FVP was any better than the 1000s (the 1000s media player is basic, but from memory it worked with most content, though had some aspect ratio issues).

Not something I have tested in any depth. There is one big difference SD content on the FVP4000/5000T is available externally, There is no way to view a G2 box content externally. If you have a specific file format and are able to provide a PM link to a small sample I can test if it plays.

One recent feature of the G2 box can be handy. Just this evening after watching the second episode of the Crown Series 2 on Netflix, I changed to BBC 1 HD to see if anything was worth watching. Better half said I like Micheal Mcintiyre I would like to see it from the beginning. Quick as a flash I had the solution

The BBC channels have a new option on a programme already started, watch from the beginning when OK is clicked in the epg (Via IP of course). Brownie Points

Of course this might come to FVP in the future.

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 22:36:10 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

I need some time to re-acclimatise myself with the box after a couple of years of youview exposure, and I’ll play around with my content and let you know if I have any questions about formats.

I don’t seem to have any channel logos (pretty sure they were there before, though my memory fails me), but on demand works ok.

I also need to figure out which 2tb HDD to fit, before I setup new recording schedules.

Suffice to say, I’ve forgotten how nice the box is, and I’m likely to stick with it and save a few quid until the next gen boxes arrive.

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 22:47:55 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I need some time to re-acclimatise myself with the box after a couple of years of youview exposure, and I’ll play around with my content and let you know if I have any questions about formats.
    I don’t seem to have any channel logos (pretty sure they were there before, though my memory fails me), but on demand works ok.
    I also need to figure out which 2tb HDD to fit, before I setup new recording schedules.
    Suffice to say, I’ve forgotten how nice the box is, and I’m likely to stick with it and save a few quid until the next gen boxes arrive.

When you change the HDD the recording schedule will be intact (it's in NVRAM). Whether any of then will still be current is anyone's guess

I have one of these in both my HDR-1000S and FVP-5000T.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=seagate%20pipeline%202tb

Guess you need to update the firmware. What version do you currently have ?

By the way welcome back from the dark side

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 23:03:56 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

When you change the HDD the recording schedule will be intact (it's in NVRAM). Whether any of then will still be current is anyone's guess
    I have one of these in both my HDR-1000S and FVP-5000T.
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=seagate%20pipeline%202tb
    Guess you need to update the firmware. What version do you currently have ?
    By the way welcome back from the dark side

Thanks. Good to be back!

The STB was plugged in (I think it was in standby, though I’ve got a jungle of gadgets so not 100% sure).

Firmware = UKSFAA 3.00.77. I expect a few things have changed since I used the box, though I need to get use to the lack of the coloured buttons (useful navigating/filtering stuff with the Harmony remote on the youview platform).

I was just looking at the Seagate, so shall probably go for that.

| Sat 9 Dec 2017 23:18:07 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

3.00.77 is the latest. Box must have latest software. I use the Red - Backwards skip, Blue Forward skip and Green - Recordings on my Harmony Ultimate One in the device HDR-1000S.

If you look at the guide on say BBC-1 HD on the current programme you should see a circular anticlockwise arrow indicating view from beginning is available.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 10:39:06 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

The anti-clockwise thingy is great! Makes catching up on already started programs so much easier.

The media player is still much the same as I remember it, doesn’t play DTS audio coded material, aspect ratios for some content plays incorrectly, but in combination with PLEX and HDHomeRun FTA receiver, I am able to playback PLEX recorded content on the HDR without having to fire up another PLEX client.

Re:- coloured buttons. More a gripe about having to press ‘list’ instead of coloured buttons to filter stuff. Not a big thing. Need to program ‘list’ onto a hard key on the Harmony.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 13:01:42 #16 |
  7. black knight

black knight

special member

The HDR1000S USED to play media content with the correct aspect ratio, but it was broken in an update and still hasn't been fixed.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 19:17:13 #17 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

After following the FVP4000/5000T forum for a bit and reading the comments on the new 5000T have decided to wait it out and see what the Next Generation 2018 Freesat box has to offer before jumping ship to Freeview Play. Juggling the schedule between what can be recorded/watched simultaneously and what can be left to iPlayer catch-up will have to continue for a while longer.

Hopefully Humax/Freesat will have learned from all the trials and tribulations of the current platforms. Maybe they will even have a box that plays correct aspect ratio for Black Knight. We were early adopters of the 1000S and in fairness it could have been a lot worse ....... Now just need to figure out why live pause has stopped working!

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:29:47 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback.
    After following the FVP4000/5000T forum for a bit and reading the comments on the new 5000T have decided to wait it out and see what the Next Generation 2018 Freesat box has to offer before jumping ship to Freeview Play. Juggling the schedule between what can be recorded/watched simultaneously and what can be left to iPlayer catch-up will have to continue for a while longer.
    Hopefully Humax/Freesat will have learned from all the trials and tribulations of the current platforms. Maybe they will even have a box that plays correct aspect ratio for Black Knight. We were early adopters of the 1000S and in fairness it could have been a lot worse ....... Now just need to figure out why live pause has stopped working!

Usually corrupted time shift buffer file. Only known way to restore is a HDD format.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:33:11 #19 |
  10. davidrew

davidrew

special member

That sounds a bit drastic and quite a large collection of unwatched programs ..... maybe that's on the fix list for the next gen box, having to reformat the whole HDD for such a trivial issue is not good design.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 18:21:32 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.