My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Transferring recordings

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

esme

While I've been waiting for a single file to transfer to a USB stick

( see https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-long-to-transfer-sd-recordings-to-usb )

I've done a few tests over the network

With a Windows 7 PC I did the following

Transferring SD files via the samba server copies an encrypted file which is useless to me

Similarly transferring an SD file via FTP also copies an encrypted file

Using media player I can see the device but I can't play anything on it as no recorded programmes appear

I can't find any hint of a "My Contents" folder using Windows 7

I borrowed a Windows 10 tablet and managed to find the "My Contents" folder and transferred a couple of files, which came across as .mpeg & were unencrypted.

This is frankly a bit rubbish, if you transfer an SD file it should be decrypted & I'm buggered if I'm going to go and buy a Win10 PC just so I can transfer files to a hard drive to watch them somewhere else

and while I did all this I was still waiting for a single file to be transferred to USB

It still hasn't finished after 2 hours

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 17:24:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If you had upgraded your PC to Windows 10 before 29th July then it wouldn't have cost you anything and you wouldn't have needed to buy a new PC. W7 was good in it's day but that was then and this is now. Windows 10 is far far better - problem solved.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 22:28:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

esme

Win10 is better for some

I develop software and several tools I use happily on win7 pro won't work on Win 10

I did try Win 10, first there's all the encrypted telemetry I couldn't turn off & microsoft won't tell me what's in it, then all the bloatware I don't need, won't use & can't remove, I also had more issues than I could shake a stick at with drivers, so much so that I reverted back to win 7 & made damn sure it didn't download again.

Maybe if Microsoft come to their senses & ditch all the intrusive crap, bloat & sort out the drivers I'll restore the Win10 copy but I'm not wasting any more time on it, if they don't then my next OS is going to be some flavour of L*nux.

Shame really, up until Win10 I was a Microsoft fangirl I even have a handful of Microsoft Certifications somewhere

Which still leaves the issue of the 4000 transferring files to other systems, limiting it to Windows 8 & above to transfer unencrypted files is not an acceptable solution

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 22:57:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

esme - 10 hours ago  » 
    Win10 is better for some
    I develop software and several tools I use happily on win7 pro won't work on Win 10
    I did try Win 10, first there's all the encrypted telemetry I couldn't turn off & microsoft won't tell me what's in it, then all the bloatware I don't need, won't use & can't remove, I also had more issues than I could shake a stick at with drivers, so much so that I reverted back to win 7 & made damn sure it didn't download again.
    Maybe if Microsoft come to their senses & ditch all the intrusive crap, bloat & sort out the drivers I'll restore the Win10 copy but I'm not wasting any more time on it, if they don't then my next OS is going to be some flavour of L*nux.
    Shame really, up until Win10 I was a Microsoft fangirl I even have a handful of Microsoft Certifications somewhere
    Which still leaves the issue of the 4000 transferring files to other systems, limiting it to Windows 8 & above to transfer unencrypted files is not an acceptable solution

That's not a version of Windows 10 I recognise. Sure it's a version of Windows 10 Microsoft would like you to use but that's if you click the 'express install' when first installing it. Opt for the manual install and then start switching everything off. There are also plenty of help articles on the net which assist you in going even deeper into the system and turning even more things off.

The version I run now is that lean it's almost anorexic. As for drivers I can honestly say I've never had one driver issue at all. I am using W10 Pro plus OS X.

Let's be honest XP was good in it's day but at some point users have to move on. The main issue is that people simply hate change - good or bad.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 9:54:06 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I converted two laptops and a desktop from 7 to 10. Absolutely no issues driver wise. In fact a 17" MSI intel core I7 I never got the HD webcam working in HD now works fine.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 10:14:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 minutes ago  » 
    I converted two laptops and a desktop from 7 to 10. Absolutely no issues driver wise. In fact a 17" MSI intel core I7 I never got the HD webcam working in HD now works fine.

I have updated about a dozen computers from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Mostly they have gone without issue however I had significant issues with a Samsung RF510 laptop. The Windows 10 installation would abort with an obscure and unhelpful generic error code. After a lot of googling (and trying a few unlikely sounding fixes that unsurprisingly didn't work) I discovered that the issue was an incompatibility with the Broadcom mini PCI Wifi card. Changing that for a card with an Atheros chipset fixed that problem. I then found the hard drive performance had dropped dramatically (it is an SSD) because the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver wasn't compatible. The latest version of the driver doesn't support the chipset in the laptop and I had to experiment to find a version that supported the chipset and would run with Windows 10. I did find a suitable version and now everything is working under Windows 10 to my satisfaction including my software development environment and various virtual machines (using VirtualBox). So in summary, yes it is usually straightforward but sometimes requires a fair bit of effort and in some cases will just not be possible.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 10:44:18 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

You guys are fortunate in your experience with Win10. Because good as it is it is definitely not a universal success. Every update has brought with it problems for many users. The recent Anniversary update completely bricked many PCs with the OS on a SSD but the data on a HDD. Previous to that it bricked PCs running AVG virus. In my own case I have converted a laptop to Win10 and it does not recognise my QNAP NAS as a file server, so I am unable to move/copy/delete etc files on the NAS using Win10. No problems on Win7 on my main PC. All these problems widely documented and acknowledged by MS. In the case of my NAS problem a fix is in the pipeline for release but it missed the free-update cut-off point. So Win 7 on my main PC for a while yet.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 10:51:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Back on topic (quickly as I loathe M$), I am also struggling to transfer recordings. In the past I had only copied short programmes of 30-mins to 1hr using the FVP's copy function (which is unacceptably slow).
    Now I want to transfer longer programmes and I cannot get past around 1hr 15mins
    I have tried FAT32 and NTFS with a 32GB SD and an 8GB class 10 SD but no luck, a programme is produced (approx 1.2GB) which I can play but it is cut short time wise.
    I also tried a mains powered USB Hard drive which has FAT32, XFAT and NTFS partitions and the FVP would not see any of them, even though my ageing PS3 and Samsung TV will.
    Does Win 10 allow a long programme to be transferred and if so how long does it take?

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 13:12:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

esme

You have no idea what I did when I installed Win10, you have no idea what issues I had, you have no idea how much research I did before trying it, it works for you, great I'm pleased for you, it doesn't work for me

So I'm sorry guys but responses of the type "I upgraded to Win10 & it was fine for me" are not helping and are detracting from the issue of transferring unencrypted files from the 4000 to other systems, people use other operating systems excluding them is not sensible.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 13:17:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luddym

special member

Esme, I know this might not help, but do you have an android product at all? I find the easiest way is to use the Human media player app.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 13:26:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.