My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

TV ARC sound only works when Humax turned on

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hi.
    I've just set up an entirely new system. I have an Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR252) as the central component.
    The TV (Sony 55XD9305) is connected to the HDMI/ARC OUT connector on the receiver, using an ARC compatible HDMI lead, to the connector marked HDMI 4/ARC on the TV.
    I also have a Humax FVP-4000T, connected to the SAT/CBL connector on the receiver.
    I have enabled ARC on the receiver, and set the TV speaker setting to "Audio System".

My problem is this: when I start up the system (Onkyo first, then TV, in accordance with the Onkyo instructions), the TV sound comes through the receiver as it should for about 10 seconds. After that, the TV switches to its internal speakers, and even if I reselect "Audio System" I can get no sound.
    If I turn on the Humax box, I get an "Audio System Active" message on the TV, and it works correctly from then on (without me switching to the Humax output). However, if I put the Humax back into standby, after 5 minutes, the TV reverts to its internal speakers again, with a "communication failure" message.

I'm struggling to think what settings I can change. I don't want to have to run an additional audio cable between the TV and the receiver, as space is really tight in the trunking from the receiver to the TV bracket on the wall.

| Tue 7 Feb 2017 15:44:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

HDMI post
    The HDMI setup from the FVP is poor, if you unplug th HDMI from the FVP I expect the TV ARC to your receiver will work.
    The above link is another post to similar issues and unfortunate faults of the FVP.
    There are more.
    On mine I can get the ARC to function between a Samsung TV and Denon amp for many weeks and then it goes. I unplug the FVP, rescan the HDMI reconnect the FVP an it usually works again.
    The order of powering up and down does tend to affect the ARC function.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 14:33:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Thanks for your input. That other discussion certainly mirrors my experience, and I'm just sorry they haven't found a solution other than an HDMI switch.
    I've followed the Onkyo recommendation of receiver on first, then TV. I tried it the other way round a few times, but without success.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 14:45:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Great news - my problem is solved.
    Someone on the Digital Spy forum had been having exactly the same problem. They recommended the Lindy "HDMI CEC Less Adaptor": here
    Apparently it blocks the signal from pin 13 on the Humax HDMI out port, which is the one causing handshake problems between the other HDMI devices.
    It arrived the next day and works perfectly.

| Fri 10 Feb 2017 10:05:03 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.