My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Two Aura on same network

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

Is it possible to play recordings made on one Aura via network on a second Aura? The scenario would have one Aura attached to TV downstairs and second Aura attached to TV upstairs with both Aura connected using wired ethernet to the same network. Believe this was possible with the FVP 4000T & FVP 5000T for both SD and HD recordings. I see at least one person here has mentioned they have 2 Auras so was hoping someone had some experience.

| Thu 22 Apr 2021 19:06:17 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

telltuff - 8 mins ago  » 
    Is it possible to play recordings made on one Aura via network on a second Aura? The scenario would have one Aura attached to TV downstairs and second Aura attached to TV upstairs with both Aura connected using wired ethernet to the same network. Believe this was possible with the FVP 4000T & FVP 5000T for both SD and HD recordings. I see at least one person here has mentioned they have 2 Auras so was hoping someone had some experience.

Do you expect to watch the recordings in HD or transcoded to say 960 x 540 ?

| Thu 22 Apr 2021 19:16:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

Was hoping to be able to watch recordings in HD.

| Thu 22 Apr 2021 19:24:13 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

telltuff - 1 hour ago  » 
    Was hoping to be able to watch recordings in HD.

Can you run a cat5/6 cable or connect the two locations with a pair of homeplug adaptors? Only way to get HD normally and without both boxes being able to have the capability is spitting the box HDMI output. This would normally reduce the audio to stereo in both locations.

I do not have two two Aura boxes to check if this possible. It is possible using two two HDR-Fox-T2 PVRs.

If that is OK it's possible. Both TV's would need to be have similar resolutions.

I watch content on a 1080p kitchen and a 4K lounge TV without issues

There is a alternate solution at a inflated cost using a existing coax system and using a digital modulator to replace a existing PAL analogue modulator.

| Thu 22 Apr 2021 21:03:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

LFCKEV71

You don't need a 2nd aura box to watch a recording all you need is a smart tv which is connected to the internet

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 9:15:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Agreed, I think it's worth understanding why someone would want to have 2 auras in the house. Anyone in the house can schedule recordings on the single box using the app, anyone in the house can watch content on the box using DLNA facilities on another TV (or device) (subject to the TV having such facilities) etc.

Unless it's a household where you really need the potential for 6 simultaneous recordings it's difficult to see the use case for it.

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:57:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

LFCKEV71 - 3 hours ago  » 
    You don't need a 2nd aura box to watch a recording all you need is a smart tv which is connected to the internet

Yes, as the Aura is marketed as a device able to stream live TV and recordings I would expect this to be true for SD and transcoded HD recordings. I had hoped that if the second device the Aura was streaming a HD recording too was another Aura it would supply the necessary decryption key so a HD recording could be viewed on the second Aura in full HD. Posts in the FVP 4000T, 5000T sub-forum on this site confirms that those boxes work in that fashion.
    Since asking Humax technical support the question:-
    If I bought two Aura UHD Android TV Recorders, one connected to a TV downstairs and the other connected to a TV upstairs with them both on the same LAN. Could I play a TV recording made on the downstairs Aura on the upstairs Aura (and obviously vice versa)? And would this be able to be done for both SD and HD recordings?
    and receiving the answer:-
    Unfortunately you would be unable to do so. you would have to view the recording on the device it is recorded via.
    I am confused. Based on the answer received from Humax it would seem that with the Aura they have produced a device that (according to the marketing) can stream live TV and recordings to another device, unless the second device is another Aura. I did ask Humax technical support how this answer fits with the Aura’s streaming capabilities but after a week am still waiting for an answer.
    As I see that at least one person on this forum has said they have 2 Auras I was hoping that there was some practical experience as to how they operate together streaming recordings to each other over a LAN.

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 13:12:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

larkim - 2 hours ago  » 
    Agreed, I think it's worth understanding why someone would want to have 2 auras in the house. Anyone in the house can schedule recordings on the single box using the app, anyone in the house can watch content on the box using DLNA facilities on another TV (or device) (subject to the TV having such facilities) etc.
    Unless it's a household where you really need the potential for 6 simultaneous recordings it's difficult to see the use case for it.

The potential attraction of using a second Aura to view the recordings streamed from the first Aura would be if the second Aura could play the first Auras HD recordings in full HD.

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 13:21:34 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

telltuff - 1 hour ago  » 
    The potential attraction of using a second Aura to view the recordings streamed from the first Aura would be if the second Aura could play the first Auras HD recordings in full HD.

To get full HD then the Aura would need to support the DTCP-IP protocol; is that listed anywhere in the specifications?

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 15:07:25 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Ask Barry, he's got loads of Aura's.

| Fri 23 Apr 2021 15:46:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.