My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Unresponsive Remote

(10 posts)
  1. quincunx

quincunx

The remote (RM-L08) for my FVP-5000T has become intermittently unresponsive insofar as I often have to press the Recordings button several times before they are displayed. This also sometimes happens with the Pause key. Strangely the Channel and numeric keys work ok. Initially I thought it was a low battery problem but after trying 3 new sets, I decided it was probably a worn out remote (5 years old) and ordered a new one from Humax costing £34.80 including standard 1st Class postage – rather expensive!

The new remote doesn’t work at all! The power button lights up red but doesn’t turn on the FVP but does turn on my Aura!

Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 11:57:42 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

quincunx - 6 mins ago  » 
    The new remote doesn’t work at all! The power button lights up red but doesn’t turn on the FVP but does turn on my Aura!

Had you changed the remote control mode from the default of 1? If so, see https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-fvp-remote for the procedure to change it on the new remote.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 12:07:51 #2 |
  3. quincunx

quincunx

Thanks Martin, but no, I made no changes whatsoever to the new remote. Tried it “straight out of the box” as it were. After looking at your post I tried the procedure of simultaneously holding 0 and OK buttons for 10 seconds but no message appeared on the screen with the various options. So I’m still stuck. Is there anything else I could try?

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 13:49:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

quincunx - 42 mins ago  » 
    Thanks Martin, but no, I made no changes whatsoever to the new remote. Tried it “straight out of the box” as it were. After looking at your post I tried the procedure of simultaneously holding 0 and OK buttons for 10 seconds but no message appeared on the screen with the various options. So I’m still stuck. Is there anything else I could try?

Its not about changes. made to the new remote control, but did you change the remote control code for the old remote control.
    If you did the 5000T will still be operating under the code you selected, the new remote control will be operating under the factory presst code of 1.

When performing the procedure described in the above link make sure the picture on the TV is from the 5000T and not from the TVs own built in tuner.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 14:34:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

quincunx:

The chances are that the old remote is not worn out, but that over time the rubber contacts within it have become contaminated with grease from fingers and could do with a clean. That would also explain why the buttons in the lower part of the remote are still OK as they are better protected within the device under foil.

It is possible with care to prise the upper part away from the lower and then lift off the rubber membrane and give it and the corresponding points on the PCB a clean with a cotton bud and then clip it back together. You should not need to try removing the foil section (in fact probably safer not to try).

To prise the sections apart, you will probably need to use a thin blade (eg. a Swiss Army Knife) so take the utmost care to avoid injuring your fingers.

Once done, you will probably find that you need to repeat the cleaning about every six months as the grease will get in easier once the remote has been opened.

Whether any kind of cleaning fluid would be helpful, I cannot say as I have not tried it, but others may be able to advise on this.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 15:37:29 #5 |
  6. quincunx

quincunx

I made no changes to the old or new remote and the signal was not from the TV’s tuner. Pressing the power button on the new remote does not turn on the 5000T and so the message on the screen is that there is no signal, try another source, etc but the chosen source is already the 5000T.

I’ll have a go at cleaning the old remote and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 16:45:38 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Are you sure you haven't changed the code for the 5000T with the old remote control, asking as you have an Aura (re your post on the Aura forum) and if they are in the same room you would have had to changed the code on one of either the 5000T or Aura remotes. Without doing that the remotes would be operating both Humax devices.

Have you turned the 5000T using the power button on the box itself.
    Can you confirm the new remote control is working by using your mobile phones camera and pressing any buttons on the new remote with the infra red emitter pointed at the camera. When you press the buttons on the remote you should see a white dot on the camera screen which lets you know the remote is sending a signal.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 17:27:24 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

VitaminD - 1 hour ago  » 
    Are you sure you haven't changed the code for the 5000T with the old remote control, asking as you have an Aura (re your post on the Aura forum) and if they are in the same room you would have had to changed the code on one of either the 5000T or Aura remotes. Without doing that the remotes would be operating both Humax devices.

Agreed, it is what I was trying to say in my first post.

Can you confirm the new remote control is working by using your mobile phones camera and pressing any buttons on the new remote with the infra red emitter pointed at the camera.

Surely the remote must be working as it is turning on the Aura?

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 18:52:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Martin Liddle - 40 mins ago  » 

VitaminD - 1 hour ago  » 

Agreed, it is what I was trying to say in my first post.

Can you confirm the new remote control is working by using your mobile phones camera and pressing any buttons on the new remote with the infra red emitter pointed at the camera.

Surely the remote must be working as it is turning on the Aura?

Yes I forgot that he had mentioned it was turning the Aura on.

| Wed 3 Jan 2024 19:34:04 #9 |
  10. quincunx

quincunx

Problem solved! I think issue with the old remote is that it probably does need cleaning but I decided that following the suggested procedure might result in a completely broken remote. Instead I experimented with changing the code on the old remote and then each time afterwards trying the new remote. This worked. I now have the 5000T on code 2 which doesn’t conflict with the Aura. So Martin and others were right after all! Thanks to everybody for the help with this.

| Thu 4 Jan 2024 17:00:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.