My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

video signal types

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sooandjack

We have a Humax 9200T running through a Cambridge Audio amp/switcher the TV. To try and obtain the best video quality, I purchased a component video cable which I ran from the Cambridge to the TV. The Humax doesn't have a component out, and the Cambridge doesn't have a Scart in, so I've run a composite video signal from the Humax into the Cambridge, and then a component signal from the Cambridge into the TV. I no longer get any video signal to the TV, so am wondering if the video signal type needs to be consistent throughout the entire chain, and if that's the reason I no longer have video.
    Previously I ran composite video out from the Humax to the Cambridge, and then composite out of the Cambridge into Scart on the TV and this worked fine, but I was hoping for a better picture, hence the change.
    Can anybody tell me if the video signal type needs to be consistent throughout the entire chain, thus causing my problem?
    Thanks.

| Sat 14 Jul 2012 11:53:00 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Amplifiers wont convert composite to component. There's no point anyway as you can't put back the quality you lost by using composite video as the first link in the chain. What you need is an active RGB to component converter.

eg

http://www.cypeurope.com/Synergy/Other-converter-products/CSY-2100-Scart-RGB-to-Component-Converter.html

Higher end kit will digitise and upscale analogue inputs to HDMI. You still need component in for the best quality.

Why do you need to route the video by the Cambridge ? A RGB scart connection direct to a RGB scart on the TV will give you the best quality picture. If you need composite in to the amp for some reason use the vcr scart which will also do s-video which is better than composite and will also give you stereo audio or the rca phono outputs.

Make sure you use a fully wired scart cable.

Welcome to the forum.

| Sat 14 Jul 2012 12:05:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

sooandjack

Thanks for the feedback, Graham. In addition to providing hi fi audio, the Cambridge functions to switch the signal between the Humax, a DVD and a digital media player, which makes it pretty useful. I suppose I could try to run everything into the TV separately, and then send the audio out from the TV to the Cambridge for audio playback, using the TV to switch between devices instead of the Cambridge.

| Sat 14 Jul 2012 13:10:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The RGB to component converter is your best bet if you want to retain the video switching capability. I used one with a 9200 and a Denon AV amp but this amp has upscaling to hdmi so everyting is routed to the TV by a single hdmi cable. I bought mine years ago on e-bay. It came from the US and was much cheaper than you can get here.

| Sat 14 Jul 2012 13:36:23 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 7 seconds ago  » 
    The RGB to component converter is your best bet if you want to retain the video switching capability. I used one with a 9200 and a Denon AV amp but this amp has upscaling to hdmi so everyting is routed to the TV by a single hdmi cable. I bought mine years ago on e-bay. It came from the US and was much cheaper than you can get here.

I have a topfield as well but this has component out as standard.

| Sat 14 Jul 2012 13:37:09 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.