My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

What's the latest software version?

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Moz278

I've had my 4000T for about 3 weeks now. It installed easily and worked perfectly. Albeit with the usual comments about the appalling programme UI.
    However in the last few days the picture freezes about 6/7 times an hour, for a couple of seconds. Occasionally I also get a "no signal" message on the screen. Which lasts a second or so. Then perfect picture again.
    I thought I'd check if the software needed an update. But when I click Check New Software the blue triangle just continues to rotate. The message states it may take about 2-3 minutes.
    I normally have to power down to regain use, because there's no cancel option.
    The current software version showing on the System Info page is UKTFAE 1.00.59, and loader version UKTFAE 1.03.
    Just in case anyone says my aerial has moved in the wind, it's in the loft, intact and no interference with the aerial cable or plugs has occurred. Signal strength on channel 54 (Winter Hill probably) is about 78%

| Wed 6 Jan 2016 12:51:02 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Signal strength is a very poor indicator of whether the signal is good enough - you need to measure the Signal Quality. If it is varying, you probably have co-channel interference and/or reflections which can cause this although the most likely cause is interference (unsuppressed motor bikes passing, light switches, fridge thermostats etc) on the coax cable.

Are you using proper (ie as for satellite dishes) co-ax cable with a thin aluminium screening foil? If you are using traditional brown TV coax, it's about as useful as a bit of wet string, and lets in all sorts of interference. Analogue TV was pretty good about accepting vast quantities of interference - remember screens which were as much snow as picture. Digital isn't anywhere near as robust.

Mine, bought in December, is

Model Name: FVP-4000T
    S/w version: UKTFAE 1.00.63
    Loader version: UKTFAE 1.03
    System ID: 9010.7D31
    Update date: 16 Oct 2015

A thought - does it update over the air? or over the Internet? or either? There is nothing (yet?) showing at http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=613&pid=6

| Wed 6 Jan 2016 15:39:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Also, your aerial can be in a null for one or more channels, especially if you are getting reflections from hills, water or high buildings. The reduced signal in the null can make it much more susceptible to interference.

Try moving your aerial towards and away from the transmitter by 12 to 18 inches. This is why aerials should always be mounted on a cranked arm to allow this adjustment. Also, moving a foot or two sideways can take it out of a null. Be guided by what the Signal Quality says.

Your signal is quite weak at 78% (both strength and quality are 100% for me, even though the postcode checker says some multiplexes will be much less to un-watchable). Maybe your roof tiles are very wet and therefore conducting more and shielding. My aerial is in the loft too.

| Wed 6 Jan 2016 15:59:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Moz278

Hi, thanks for that.
    Signal quality always shows 100%. But obviously I can't see what happens during a transient signal dropout.
    Interesting that you have software version .63
    I too purchased in December, via Amazon.
    I don't know how updates are received. It is connected to home wireless, that works really well for catch up.
    As I said before, it doesn't seem to want to update. The blue triangle rotates continually. After 40/50 minutes, I get bored waiting, and power down by switching off at the wall.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 0:06:51 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Updates (none available currently) can be via:

IP - LAN connection
    USB - When software provided by Humax via support site
    OTA- Broadcast over the air

At present units are shipping with version 1.00.63 which I'm told is the same as 1.00.59

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 0:52:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

If signal quality is 100% then transient dropout is almost certainly caused by interference.

See this article on co-ax cables.Cable, Connectors and Leads

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 10:48:07 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    If signal quality is 100% then transient dropout is almost certainly caused by interference.
    See this article on co-ax cables.Cable, Connectors and Leads

With a signal level of 100%, it's possible the tuner front end is clipping the signal. First thing to try is a variable attenuator. Normally 60-80% signal level 100% quality is ideal.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 11:01:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

His signal strength is 78%, his signal quality is 100%.

I completely agree about a pre-amp overloading the front end. In the early days, when Mendip was transmitting at 10kW, I needed a booster amplifier, mounted close to the aerial, not least because my line of sight to the top of the tower passes underground for about a mile (it's hilly round here!). When the Mendip power was increased to 100kW I had to remove it as it caused pixellation.

How do I get signal if line of site goes underground? I am not exactly sure, but TV signals definitely diffract and bend somewhat to follow the land contour. But I am below even the diffraction bending limit. Strange!

nb - didn't we meet on the digitalspy Humax forum where I was JohnH77 as here? I see some familiar names from there like Martin Liddle etc.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 12:23:18 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Moz278

Thanks guys. Some points for me to ponder.
    I have a (mains powered) amplifier on the aerial line. It's in the loft, and was supplied with the Labgear aerial.
    We're in a region that reputedly has a strong signal, so maybe I don't need the amp.
    The aerial I chose didn't have an amp, but when I received it from Screwfix, they'd Screwfixed it up, with the wrong item, but I couldn't be bothered returning it.
    But hey it worked and worked perfectly with my old Humax box and also Bravia TV. Signal strength was not an issue.
    So why do I only get ~80% signal strength now? And the breakups?

And if I'm using the latest software 0.59 or 0.63. Why does the update search just go on and on, and on?
    Surely after a short while, I should get a message saying that the software is up to date. Is this just a bit of poor Humax software.

Just to complete the picture. The aerial cable comes out of the loft amp and without any interruption goes straight into the Humax. No joints, surface boxes, etc. etc.

| Fri 8 Jan 2016 22:26:57 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Moz278 - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks guys. Some points for me to ponder.
    I have a (mains powered) amplifier on the aerial line. It's in the loft, and was supplied with the Labgear aerial.
    We're in a region that reputedly has a strong signal, so maybe I don't need the amp.
    The aerial I chose didn't have an amp, but when I received it from Screwfix, they'd Screwfixed it up, with the wrong item, but I couldn't be bothered returning it.
    But hey it worked and worked perfectly with my old Humax box and also Bravia TV. Signal strength was not an issue.
    So why do I only get ~80% signal strength now? And the breakups?
    And if I'm using the latest software 0.59 or 0.63. Why does the update search just go on and on, and on?
    Surely after a short while, I should get a message saying that the software is up to date. Is this just a bit of poor Humax software.
    Just to complete the picture. The aerial cable comes out of the loft amp and without any interruption goes straight into the Humax. No joints, surface boxes, etc. etc.

How long ago was the aerial and amplifier installed ? You have to remember when the analogue signals were closed down that the digital signals had a major increase in power. Basically just try bypassing the amplifier (you may need a male to male coax coupler to try this).

| Fri 8 Jan 2016 22:49:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.