My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Where is "+" symbol on Harmony Elite

(42 posts)
  1. gomezz

gomezz

special member

All remote controls share the same basic set of buttons such as Play, Pause, Record etc. And then you have the buttons which do approximately the same thing but are labelled differently such as Function or Opt+, they can be allocated to the same button regardless of which activity is in use. Anything more esoteric can be set as a soft key with the exact name as used by the native remote such as MyView or Zoom for Youview devices.

When I got my first Harmony I wasted time trying to make it look and work like the OTA remote control I used for my Topfeld 5800. Then I realised better to adapt to the Harmony design rather than try to fit a round peg in a square hole.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 8:59:14 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 
    All remote controls share the same basic set of buttons such as Play, Pause, Record etc. And then you have the buttons which do approximately the same thing but are labelled differently such as Function or Opt+, they can be allocated to the same button regardless of which activity is in use. Anything more esoteric can be set as a soft key with the exact name as used by the native remote such as MyView or Zoom for Youview devices.
    When I got my first Harmony I wasted time trying to make it look and work like the OTA remote control I used for my Topfeld 5800. Then I realised better to adapt to the Harmony design rather than try to fit a round peg in a square hole.

And how would you adapt the Harmony to work with the LG? Don't forget this is a wireless remote not IR and acts just like a mouse complete with cursor and includes voice control.

Then there's the Sonos, these are controlled via an app on your Smartphone or tablet. You select all the features from the app e.g. music stored locally either on a NAS or computer. You then have all your music services e.g. Spotify etc.

I believe the near future is not the Harmony but voice control.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:46:44 #22 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I understand that adding a Harmony Hub can deal with wireless devices and the Sonos. Voice control is not something I will ever allow in the house.

One of the activities I have set up is to switch to the Chromecast dongle so I can cast to my big TV from my tablet and not really an issue then using the app on that (eg iPlayer) to control playback.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 14:20:33 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 

And how would you adapt the Harmony to work with the LG? Don't forget this is a wireless remote not IR and acts just like a mouse complete with cursor and includes voice control.
    Then there's the Sonos, these are controlled via an app on your Smartphone or tablet. You select all the features from the app e.g. music stored locally either on a NAS or computer. You then have all your music services e.g. Spotify etc.
    I believe the near future is not the Harmony but voice control.

A Amazon Echo can voice control the logitech harmony hub. Some models can also use bluetooth.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-gb/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 14:32:19 #24 |
  5. RogerB

RogerB

special member

I use Alexa to control my TV and Prime viewing. All the basic functions are there and it is very easy to set-up. R-

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 14:51:11 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 
    I understand that adding a Harmony Hub can deal with wireless devices and the Sonos. Voice control is not something I will ever allow in the house.
    One of the activities I have set up is to switch to the Chromecast dongle so I can cast to my big TV from my tablet and not really an issue then using the app on that (eg iPlayer) to control playback.

But we appear to be reinventing the wheel here. The Sonos app is fully featured allowing you to make playlists, select by artist, albumn, or song. You can choose to play the same song in different rooms or different songs in different rooms. I fail to see how. Harmony remote or hub could compete with that and why would you want to.

I’d be interested to learn if the Harmony can supply voice search and control like the LG remote does too.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 17:01:22 #26 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

The hub could control your Sonos too:
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-sonos

It's all a matter of personal preference. You don't mind multiple remotes, others prefer an all-in-one. I'm in the latter camp.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 19:47:37 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

aldaweb - 2 hours ago  » 
    The hub could control your Sonos too:
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-sonos
    It's all a matter of personal preference. You don't mind multiple remotes, others prefer an all-in-one. I'm in the latter camp.

1. Using the Harmony Hub for Sonos is simply replacing the Sonos app with the Harmony app. Having watched a couple of YouTube videos of the Harmony/Sonos app I'm firmly of the view the Sonos app is superior.

2. The Hub uses the cloud, so if you lose the Internet you lose access to all your devices.

3. The guy on the video does say - the Harmony Hub is not easy to setup and needs patience, but you'll get there in the end.

I don't think the Hub is my cup of tea and the other Harmony products wouldn't be a good fit with some of my devices - mainly Sonos.

If it ain't broke don't fix it seems to be my best option.

Actually the LG Magic Remote can control all the kit under my TV, i.e. couple of PVRs Blu-Ray player, surround sound system etc. I did try using this to control my devices when I first got the TV. The experiment lasted all of 1 day before I was back to a dedicated remote for each device. I just don't like a universal controller.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 22:34:48 #28 |
  9. RogerB

RogerB

special member

You sum it up nicely Faust - it's all down to personal preference, the type of functionality we desire and the degree of patience we possess. R-

| Tue 14 Aug 2018 5:59:05 #29 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

For what it is worth I don't get the point of Sonos and similar systems. They are no match for a proper hi-fi system and plenty of other, cheaper ways of low-fi listening to stuff all around the house and down the garden even.

| Tue 14 Aug 2018 14:45:55 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.