My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Which 65” tv for fox sat hdr or upgrade

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Hi, I’ve had foxsat hdr and Sony kdl40w5500 (also Panasonic tv with second foxsat hdr) for over 10 years and very pleased with them. I’ve never used the TVs inbuilt features as I always watch via humax box and nearly always record in SD. I’d like to get a 65” tv and maybe upgrade to humax hdr1100s or whatever is latest humax Freesat recorder with biggest hard drive.
    I use several external hard drives with SD recordings.
    I use optical output from tv into DAC then into stereo amp and speakers.

The only issues I’ve had with my existing setup are:
    With the Sony tv I cant adjust the volume when watching HD content.
    With the Panasonic tv I cant use the universal remote to switch the tv on/off. (Can’t do this with Sony either now since replacing remote)

Questions:
    1 Which features should I look for on a new 65” tv, given most of them aren’t used with a humax box? eg is upscaling done by tv or humax box?
    2 Do I need to get a newer humax box and if so, can I plug in the external hard drives and play SD content recorded on foxsat on the new humax box?
    3 which brands/models to choose to avoid compatibility issues like above?
    4 I’ve become familiar with Humax foxsat hdr and have found it to be a fantastic product so would prefer to get another humax but are there any viable alternatives?

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 2:58:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Firstly, do you really need a 65" TV, or do you just want one?
    Too many people buy big (in the sales because it looks like a bargain) and regret it. The recommended viewing distance for a 65" is approximately 18-20 feet. Sit too close and even some HD content will be disappointing, much more so with SD.
    If your budget allows, you will be amazed by the picture quality of the OLED Tv's, especially after you tweak it a bit (colour/contrast etc) to suit your eyes.
    But back to my original point, a higher quality 55" TV will be preferable to a lower specced 65" (for the same price) all day long.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 10:20:34 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dolby digital audio as used by HD channels can only have it's volume varied after the audio is decoded as the volume level is hard coded into the audio stream. With the box set to output Surround Sound the Humax remote cannot vary the volume level. Only the TV remote can do that after the audio is decoded to analogue audio. That's why there is a menu option to get the box to PCM stereo which can be volume controlled by the Humax remote. I have a 55" LG C series OLED bought from Richer sounds. SD is very poor simply because the TV has to quadruple the number of pixels. HD is very good especially from blu ray- 4K blu ray is astonishing.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 13:16:17 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/lg-oled55c9pla

Disagree about the sound. For a thin screen TV the audio is very good, especially with a Dolby Atmos source.

Which agrees with the above.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 14:09:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Thanks for replies. Of course I want a big tv and don’t need one. My viewing distance is about 12’ so should be ok, depending on who’s advice I take on measuring ideal viewing distance.
    Researching online led me to LG 65oledc9 but after visiting a few showrooms I prefered the look of Sony and couldn’t see any difference between led and OLED. Very difficult to judge though because of the source being limited to 4K demos in some shops.
    I’ll have a look for PCM stereo in the menu and will probably have more questions then. Seems like I’ll have no control of volume with any humax box on HD if I use optical out to DAC to hifi from what you’re saying.
    Thanks again for your ideas.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 16:12:25 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bob793 - 4 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for replies. Of course I want a big tv and don’t need one. My viewing distance is about 12’ so should be ok, depending on who’s advice I take on measuring ideal viewing distance.
    Researching online led me to LG 65oledc9 but after visiting a few showrooms I prefered the look of Sony and couldn’t see any difference between led and OLED. Very difficult to judge though because of the source being limited to 4K demos in some shops.

I’ll have a look for PCM stereo in the menu and will probably have more questions then. Seems like I’ll have no control of volume with any humax box on HD if I use optical out to DAC to hifi from what you’re saying.
    Thanks again for your ideas.

Same applies to optical as hdmi. The FVP-5000T has seperate audio options for toslink and HDMI. You can have Dolby Digital on optical and PCM on HDMI for instance.

The option is just marked as stereo or surround.

Stereo engages recoding to stereo PCM. Surround outputs DD 2.0 or 5.1 depending on what the broadcast has. There's no much in 5.1. Father Brown has 5.1 audio.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 16:19:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If you normally watch TV in a room with some level of ambient lighting, you probably won't perceive the improvement of contrast (real blacks etc) that you get from an OLED, so the high end led backlit screens will certainly give you more than acceptable results, especially if you are used to an older technology screen. And led/qled screens are usually more affordable. But if, like me, you turn off the room lights and put your feet up to watch a movie or a good nature documentary, in this scenario OLED cannot be beaten (in my opinion). As I said previously, money spent on better technology as opposed to bigger screens will be my advice. In order to produce more affordable larger screen TV's, costs have to be reduced in other areas such as the video processor and its associated software, this will be far more obvious when upscaling SD to HD or 4k.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 17:22:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

I can’t find PCM in the menu on the foxsat. The FVP5000T is a free view box, I have no aerial and live in poor reception area anyway. Is the hdr1100s the most up to date Freesat box? It seems to have been around for a few years, is there another box due for release soon? I don’t understand what you mean about stereo output, can you confirm that I can not adjust volume when watching HD or is the dual output you describe a solution? If so, does hdr1100s 2Tb have that feature?

With regard to the picture, is the so called “upscaling” done by the tv or the Freesat box? Which technology matters in the tv? Can I get a simple panel with no tuner for example? My current tv has many unused features because I use foxsat hdr. With regard to screen size, it seems the price difference from 55 to 65 is worth it, whereas there is a bigger jump in price for anything bigger than 65.
    More thanks for replies.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 20:22:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bob793 - 33 mins ago  » 
    I can’t find PCM in the menu on the foxsat. The FVP5000T is a free view box, I have no aerial and live in poor reception area anyway. Is the hdr1100s the most up to date Freesat box? It seems to have been around for a few years, is there another box due for release soon?

The HDR-100S is currently the most up to date Freesat box. Humax didn't win the contract for the next generation Freesat box which I think went to Arris. It is a year since they were awarded the contact but I don't know when the G3 box is due to be launched.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 21:00:54 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bob793 - 31 mins ago  » 
    I can’t find PCM in the menu on the foxsat. The FVP5000T is a free view box, I have no aerial and live in poor reception area anyway. Is the hdr1100s the most up to date Freesat box? It seems to have been around for a few years, is there another box due for release soon? I don’t understand what you mean about stereo output, can you confirm that I can not adjust volume when watching HD or is the dual output you describe a solution? If so, does hdr1100s 2Tb have that feature?
    With regard to the picture, is the so called “upscaling” done by the tv or the Freesat box? Which technology matters in the tv? Can I get a simple panel with no tuner for example? My current tv has many unused features because I use foxsat hdr. With regard to screen size, it seems the price difference from 55 to 65 is worth it, whereas there is a bigger jump in price for anything bigger than 65.
    More thanks for replies.

It's the same on a Freesat box. The option is Surround (outputs Dolby Digital), Stereo - outputs PCM.

A Foxsat does not have a progressive output option. The display has to de-interlace to produce a progressive output to the panel. Only CRT TV's can use a interlaced signal.

The answer to your other question is depends on the native resolution of the TV.

If it's a FULL-HD 1920 x 1080 and you set the source to output 1920 x 1080 the box does the scaling (and de-interlacing, if you set progressive). If you output SD 720 x 576 the TV does the scaling. If it did not you would get a tiny picture).

With 4K Tv the same applies if the TV is given a 2160p signal it does nothing. If a 1080p50 signal it scales to 2160P.

The TV has to have a 1:1 signal to the display to work, if it does not the TV scaler creates it.

A digital TV has a fixed number of pixels, 1920 x 1080 on full-HD display, to get a full picture everyone of these has to have signal. 4K has in effect 4 full HD pixels 2 wide and 2 deep. Therefore quadrupling the number of pixels on the screen.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 21:01:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.