My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Which 65” tv for fox sat hdr or upgrade

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

With the foxsat I only have stereo and mono options for audio. If I buy hdr1100s can I control volume with remote or only on amp? Is the information I’m asking for classified? Grahamlthomson Should I pm you? You seem to know what you’re talking about but I’m having trouble understanding. I understand what you say about “native resolution of the tv” except for de-interlacing set progressive. What determines whether the tv can show sd content on a 4K screen effectively? I’m not expecting it to be as good as a 4K source but on my 1080p native resolution tv the difference between sd and hd is not enough to use up storage space and also means I have to watch on the device it was recorded on only. The difference between 720p and 1080p is barely distinguishable - I have two Apple TV devices that show 1080p content on Netflix or Amazon Prime or BBC iPlayer. I’d like to understand these things before I can make any informed decision on whether to spend a huge amount of money. Sorry if I sound a bit blunt or confrontational, I’m grateful for any insight and value your opinion.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 23:08:15 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Thank you Martin Liddle, I can’t see any products using Freesat g3 but am now wondering if I should get a 2Tb hdr1100s while available. I resisted satellite at first because I loathe Rupert murdoch and love bbc. Am I being corralled into a subscription? Still hoping for direct answers to previous questions.

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 0:08:23 #12 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

bob793 - 20 hours ago  » Sorry if I sound a bit blunt or confrontational,

Not everyone here are bloody snowflakes who seem to be permanently offended. If not themselves, then on behalf of someone else (who isn't really offended anyway).

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 19:19:58 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

When someone is good enough to answer my questions I am grateful. When I feel the need to be critical of their reply for whatever reason it seems courteous to acknowledge that they considered my request and replied. I take your point about being a snowflake but I prefer to err on the side of being too nice than too nasty. That said, I wish someone would answer my f****** questions so I can get a massive new telly!

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 19:45:38 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bob793 - 20 hours ago  » 
    Thank you Martin Liddle, I can’t see any products using Freesat g3 but am now wondering if I should get a 2Tb hdr1100s while available. I resisted satellite at first because I loathe Rupert murdoch and love bbc. Am I being corralled into a subscription? Still hoping for direct answers to previous questions.

Sky has nothing to do with Freesat. Freesat is in fact just a epg service jointly owned by the BBC and ITV, that uses the Free BBC and ITV services that are transmitted from 28.2E. There are no subscription fees, unless you choose to use the paid for streaming services from say Netflix.

BBC iplayer on a suitable TV has some incredible free quality 4K HDR content like One Planet and Dynasty. To make best use of a 4K TV you need at least a Full-HD source and ideally a 4K source. Youtube also has free 4K content.

A Foxsat has the same options for digital audio out as the G2 boxes. Stereo (PCM) and surround for Dolby Digital. The option is only for HD channels as the SD ones only use PCM audio.

Tune to a HD channel, With stereo selected the Humax remote volume will work, switch to surround it won't. Just use the TV remote to control the volume.

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 20:47:45 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

I know sky has nothing to do with Freesat. When I got the foxsat 2008 I’d never heard of Freesat and associated satellite tv with subscription services like sky. Anyway that’s a diversion.
    In the foxsat menu-tv setup-audio-(stereo/mono), menu-tv setup-Dolby digital-(on/off)
    I have audio set to stereo and Dolby digital on.
    I can’t adjust the volume with either foxsat or tv remote when watching hd. If I was just listening to the TVs inbuilt speakers I could use the tv remote but I’m listening via optical/digital output on tv into an arcam DAC and from DAC to naim amp to AE speakers and rel sub. This is with Sony tv, with Panasonic tv I can adjust the volume with foxsat remote. Panasonic has no external sound system attached. I’ve tried switching the two foxsat machines and it’s the same so it seems to be a limitation of the Sony tv. That’s why I was asking about this as I otherwise like the Sony tv and like the look of their TVs in the showrooms I’ve visited. I would like to know if this issue has been resolved with new Sony TVs connected to humax Freesat boxes. It sounded from your previous reply like this is going to happen with any tv if I use the digital output.
    Can I buy a tv panel without a tuner or even without speakers? HDR 1100s makes the tuner redundant and the external sound system means I only need a digital output from a tv. That way I can get the best screen and upscaling technology for my cash.

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 1:20:22 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Hallelujah! I switched Dolby digital off and I can now adjust hd volume with humax remote! I wish I had known that in 2008. There is no noticeable difference in sound quality with Dolby on or off. Thank you very much. What’s your opinion on getting a tv without tuners or sound?

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 1:38:59 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Also, if I got hdr1100s can I get bigger hard drive or is 2Tb maximum?

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 1:40:59 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bob793 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hallelujah! I switched Dolby digital off and I can now adjust hd volume with humax remote! I wish I had known that in 2008. There is no noticeable difference in sound quality with Dolby on or off. Thank you very much. What’s your opinion on getting a tv without tuners or sound?

You won't find one. Nearest would be a computer monitor which is unlikely to synch to a 50Hz video signal. Minimum refresh is usually 60Hz. Dolby Digital is superior to SD mpeg 1 layer 2 PCM. Wider dynamic range. You probably wouldn't notice with the average average TV speakers. It's very noticeable with a high power home cinema audio set up.

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 11:34:11 #19 |
  10. Trev

Trev

special member

bob793 - 1 day ago  » I take your point about being a snowflake but I prefer to err on the side of being too nice than too nasty.

The snowflake comment was not aimed at you, and it was your pre placation of any possible snowflakes that amused me.

That said, I wish someone would answer my f****** questions so I can get a massive new telly!

Go for it. You know it makes sense. Buy it on line from (say) JL, then if it's too bloody big or you don't like the upscaling, you can always return it.

| Sat 23 Nov 2019 0:28:34 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.