My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Why Does The HDD Spin Up When On Standby ????

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnway

My HDR-1000S is not paired to the Freetime App, or anything else that I am aware of, so why do I hear the hard drive frequently start up when the unit is on standby? Is this being triggered by Freesat signal or Humax firmware etc.? I don't want to miss recording Shaun The Sheep so switching off the power supply to the unit during the day is not an option !! Anybody else noticed this?

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 12:07:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You say it's not paired with the Freetime App - do you actually have it on your phone or tablet? If so remove it and see if it's still happening.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 12:49:45 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Removing the app from the phone will not change anything. Check in the app settings if the unit is paired. Also check the HDR settings - Freetime ID.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 13:51:26 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

REPASSAC - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Removing the app from the phone will not change anything. Check in the app settings if the unit is paired. Also check the HDR settings - Freetime ID.

You are of course right about checking the settings in Freetime. After I disabled the app on my phone and Tablet the HDD would still fire up and it wasn't until I disabled the pairing in Freetime that it finally cured it.

It's a hateful app, I'm not keen at all. Do similar apps e.g. Sky fire up the Sky+ box in the same way?

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 14:29:58 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You forget that Sky units normal standby is only a pretend standby - so no they are always watching for a broadcast recording instruction or change of channel entitlement.

The apps major flaw is not being able to set the wakeup frequency for recording checks.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 14:55:57 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnway

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

Checked the HDR settings and found a user in the Freetime ID !! Mine is a refurbished box from Humax Direct (supposed to be as new, however they obviously missed that setting). Have now unpaired but the box is still making noises on standby and I have the power saving option on so I am still nervous. Does not sound like fan, more like a read/write head jumping about - anyone ??

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 16:09:07 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I understand that 1 more pairing attempt can be made, but then it should cease.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 19:08:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnway

I am pleased to report that the box has now sorted itself out and the HDD no longer fires up when on standby - phew !! Now if only Humax can sort out the missing recordings and unrecognised Hard Drive issues I might be tempted to buy another of their boxes.

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 18:35:27 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Easterross

The hard drive on my Humax Freesat HDR-1100S keeps powering up at random times, day and night, and for no apparent reason. I've tried to follow other Q&A's but cannot see how to stop this or an explanation as to why it does it. It's not fully on so what is it doing? Incredibly, I've only just noticed it says Freetime recorder on the front but I have no idea what this is either (dummy!) but as far as I know I haven't engaged with this. I've gone through all the settings on the unit as well as those on my LG smart Tv and turned off all stuff i don't use. Any suggestions? The TV is linked via HDMI but otherwise wifi.

| Sat 16 Jan 2021 16:00:24 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

johnway - 4 years ago  » 
    My HDR-1000S is not paired to the Freetime App, or anything else that I am aware of, so why do I hear the hard drive frequently start up when the unit is on standby? Is this being triggered by Freesat signal or Humax firmware etc.? I don't want to miss recording Shaun The Sheep so switching off the power supply to the unit during the day is not an option !! Anybody else noticed this?

The box will wake up without any video or audio output but with the HHD spinning about 20 mins before a recording is due if start and stop times are set to auto.

It's waiting for a signal from the broadcaster that the programme has started and therefore initiate the recording (accurate recording).

| Sat 16 Jan 2021 16:15:30 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.