My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Will we ever see a replacement for the FVP-5000T

(49 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

I doubt the FVP5000T will ever become a speed demon, so i've reluctantly come to accept it.

I haven't yet seen indications of anything coming to market from any manufacturer, and I wonder if we'll ever see a replacement to the FVP5000T, or similar from any manufacturer, especially with streaming being the choice of many.

What do you think?
    Anyone here with an inside scoop?

| Wed 3 Jun 2020 17:01:14 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This device from Vbox looks promising. Not an inside scoop - no experience of using it.

I do have the cheaper TV gateway on my network and it's very handy.

It can record all 5 HD channels on the PSB-HD-mux. They can be viewed on tablets some TV's and even remotely. You can attach the recording drive to a PC and copy the H264/AVC files (no encryption) and play them back on most anything. Suggest a Plex server on your network would be a good option paired with a Amazon 4K firestick.

If you buy one please let us know how you get on

https://vboxcomm.com/android-tv-gateway/

| Wed 3 Jun 2020 17:17:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I suspect that this might be a risky choice as it appears to be one of these "all singing, all dancing" international devices which, despite the comments on the site, may be unsuitable for UK terrestrial use. On the other hand, it could be wonderful.

| Wed 3 Jun 2020 17:48:47 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 4 mins ago  » 
    I suspect that this might be a risky choice as it appears to be one of these "all singing, all dancing" international devices which, despite the comments on the site, may be unsuitable for UK terrestrial use. On the other hand, it could be wonderful.

The DVB-T2 device should be fine. As I already said I have the earlier streaming output only device. The newer one connects directly to a local TV using HDMI. The epg is IP delivered. I watch the BBC news every morning on my tablet.

It has a single coax cable to my single Freeview Aerial used to feed existing Freeview kit including a FVP-5000-T

The satellite units clearly can only use FTA DVB-S/S2 transponders. This does include Channel 4-HD and I guess the SES Astra 4K demo channels if you have a 4K TV

However if you use a wired cat7 balun solution the box may output at 60Hz rather than 50Hz so a existing wired system may not work.

| Wed 3 Jun 2020 17:58:36 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BBC 1 -HD on my Samsung tablet.

Attachments

1. BBC1-HD-on-tablet.jpg (145.4 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    | Wed 3 Jun 2020 18:37:48 #5 |
  6. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I also have been looking for alternatives, the 5000T is increasingly becoming obsolete and no effort is being made to fix the growing list of issues such as most of the on demand not working for months.

It is slow and I even casually started looking if a CPU upgrade would be possible the other day.

There has been no firmware update for over a year and its looking forgotten. Maybe the super-duper 6000T is in the wings but I doubt it. On the surface the VBox looks an attractive solution and given you can purchase an external 2TB USB 3.1 disk for less than £60 now makes it cost effective for a recorder. Its connectivity looks very flexible and the fact it does not encrypt content would also be a bonus.

More investigation required ...... maybe the 5000T's days are numbered.

Pity they don't do a combined terrestrial and satellite model.

| Wed 3 Jun 2020 21:48:29 #6 |
  7. jpv1960

jpv1960

I wonder if anyone has checked out these units:

https://www.zgemma.co.uk/Sat-Cable-Terrestrial

I have asked the supplier for instruction manual download and if a disk is included or could be added.

| Thu 4 Jun 2020 10:36:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jpv1960 - 9 hours ago  » 
    I wonder if anyone has checked out these units:
    https://www.zgemma.co.uk/Sat-Cable-Terrestrial
    I have asked the supplier for instruction manual download

Why do you want zgemma to supply you personally instead of you just downloading the manuals from zgemma's web site http://zgemma.org/downloads.html ?

| Thu 4 Jun 2020 20:39:57 #8 |
  9. jpv1960

jpv1960

Thanks for the download link. I should have looked deeper. Thanks.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 7:13:45 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Has anyone here tried the Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play box? The review ratings on Amazon seem a bit better than the FVP boxes.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 11:50:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.