My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Will we ever see a replacement for the FVP-5000T

(49 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 2 hours ago  » 
    I assumed that the HDPVR-5000T in the list would be the one?

Nope; that is the Finnish equivalent of the HDR-FOX T2 and dates back at least eight years.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 15:09:59 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

OK thanks.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 18:04:20 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RobK

It seems the likelihood of Humax providing a modern box half as good as the HDR-Fox T2 with custom firmware is pretty slim. The FVP-5000T could have been the dream box, but just isn't polished enough and is too sluggish. The Manhattan T3-R looks very promising and well supported. I would swap immediately if they could offer a multi-room capability, either by DLNA streaming or just opening up the recordings for remote network access so thought I'd send them a query:

"Is remote network access to the recorded files planned for a future
    firmware release and would the files be a format that I can play them
    from Windows or similar? Even if this was limited to the SD files it
    would be very useful for multi-room. I would even be happy if
    multiple T3-R boxes could share their content between themselves if
    that was simpler to implement."

They replied just over an hour later - they are clearly interested in customer care - take note Humax:

"Thanks for writing to us. DLNA and USB media playback features were on our roadmap but were de-prioritised due to lack of interest. It's possible they could still happen, but they're not planned for the v2 update next year. When we start planning out the v3 software we'll consider DLNA/media playback again, but so far we've had only two other requests for it."

It would seem that Manhattan are prepared to listen to customers and respond based on demand. If enough people request multi-room support then we might just get it, albeit we are probably stuck with Humax for another 18-24 months for the development time. Light at the end of the tunnel? Maybe.

P.S. Yes, I am too tight to pay out for Sky Q!

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 12:20:59 #43 |
  4. brian

brian

special member

You could buy the latest Humax aura.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 12:53:05 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RobK

I hadn't seen that, it does look quite impressive. Maybe that is where all the Humax software engineers have been. It doesn't quite seem to do multi-room unless using the app on an Android compatible device. Maybe if I had two of them they could stream to each other, unless they aren't compatible with their own app. Certainly one to watch to see how it develops and what the user reports are like once a good few are in use. Might be the end for the FVP-5000T.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 15:21:40 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mordorf

grahamlthompson - 6 mnths ago  » 
    This device from Vbox looks promising. Not an inside scoop - no experience of using it.
    I do have the cheaper TV gateway on my network and it's very handy.
    It can record all 5 HD channels on the PSB-HD-mux. They can be viewed on tablets some TV's and even remotely. You can attach the recording drive to a PC and copy the H264/AVC files (no encryption) and play them back on most anything. Suggest a Plex server on your network would be a good option paired with a Amazon 4K firestick.
    If you buy one please let us know how you get on
    https://vboxcomm.com/android-tv-gateway/

I just purchased a vbox. What an absolute piece of junk and the company behind it are equally as bad. I strongly advise to avoid this rubbish. I'm not that much of a fan of Humax but there is no comparison. It really dies begger belief that they are allowed to sell such junk.

| Thu 10 Dec 2020 20:10:03 #46 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mordorf - 39 mins ago  » 

This device from Vbox looks promising. Not an inside scoop - no experience of using it.
    It can record all 5 HD channels on the PSB-HD-mux. They can be viewed on tablets some TV's and even remotely. You can attach the recording drive to a PC and copy the H264/AVC files (no encryption) and play them back on most anything. Suggest a Plex server on your network would be a good option paired with a Amazon 4K firestick.

I just purchased a vbox. What an absolute piece of junk and the company behind it are equally as bad. I strongly advise to avoid this rubbish. I'm not that much of a fan of Humax but there is no comparison. It really dies begger belief that they are allowed to sell such junk.

Mine is now working 100% following a software update. I will upload some images and PM you some links. It took just 24 hrs to roll out a fix after raising a support ticket.

| Thu 10 Dec 2020 20:50:48 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

I've been considering alternatives to the 5000T regularly, and I wonder if the Aura is the way forward.
    The lack of Netflix will affect some in the household, so it's a question of waiting.

It appears to me that Humax has dropped development within Linux, and is moving to Android. That would explain a lot about the 5000T and its future.

It's a shame they make this move, imho, because I would have preferred Linux.

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 12:06:59 #48 |
  9. jpv1960

jpv1960

Mordorf - 3 weeks ago  » 

Further thoughts and recommendations on Vbox? Is it working fine after software update? I bought another fvp-5000T after returning one, although okay but limited in functionalities, so looking for alternatives.

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 13:04:33 #49 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.