My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Will we ever see a replacement for the FVP-5000T

(49 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I can't help but wonder why no-one has managed to write a custom firmware for these?

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 10:41:11 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I'm not sure if it's possible with this machine, there always used to be loads of custom fwse for the fox t2.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 10:43:08 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 51 mins ago  » 
    I can't help but wonder why no-one has managed to write a custom firmware for these?

I think the reasons are that firstly Humax appear to have made it more difficult to get access to the operating system and they have encrypted some of the sidecar files. This makes it significantly more difficult to create custom firmware. I guess it wouldn't be impossible but the people with the skills perhaps have other things they want to do in their lives.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 11:40:24 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Even if you could make sense of the sidecar files, you couldn't do the equivalent of a Foxy (ie. patch the file to allow copying of HD) because that part of the Humax disk is read-only to the external world. If you could circumvent that, the format of the .hjm files is strange. Is it encrypted or is it compressed? Why are large parts of the file different, when recording, now and one second later? All I've managed to discover so far is that a .hjm file appears to be a JSON file containing url encoded base64 data. What the data means, I've no idea! And yes, I do have other things I want to get on with.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 13:06:21 #34 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

SSThing - 21 hours ago  » 

I really don't see any real direct connection between Custom Firmware (CF) for either the Foxsat of the HDR T2 and the various video files created by them.
    Yes, the video files are likely encrypted, but the CF 'hooks' into the underlying Humax operating system and enhances it's operation.

Because the Humax operating system was open source and unencrypted, clever people dis-assembled the code and found how to hook into it to be able to run the CF alongside the OS. It is here that the problem arises as it appears to be encrypted (or similar) and no on has found a way of 'into' it (yet) and I doubt if it's through lack of trying.

Two different techniques have been used to obtain unencrypted video files.
    a. Foxsat. Nowster developed a patch that somehow prevented the OS encrypting stuff after it has been installed.
    b. Others (sorry can't credit as I don't know who) found what was being used as the encryption key and developed a system within the CF for retrospectively decrypting the files.

So is the real problem encountered by people the desire to decrypt stuff (a foxy equivalent), or to have an all singing and dancing CF, one function of which will be to decrypt or prevent encryption of video files?

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 8:15:47 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Trev - 1 day ago  » 

So is the real problem encountered by people the desire to decrypt stuff (a foxy equivalent), or to have an all singing and dancing CF, one function of which will be to decrypt or prevent encryption of video files?

For me - a Foxy equivalent will do. On a 2000T I managed to do some housekeeping (rename, delete, move) functions remotely as well. On the 5000T I can't even do these.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 16:25:16 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Trev - 1 day ago  » 
    Because the Humax operating system was open source and unencrypted,

To be clear the HDR-FOX T2 uses open source components but the main executable is very definitely not open source. the same applies to the FVP models.

Two different techniques have been used to obtain unencrypted video files.
    a. Foxsat. Nowster developed a patch that somehow prevented the OS encrypting stuff after it has been installed.
    b. Others (sorry can't credit as I don't know who) found what was being used as the encryption key and developed a system within the CF for retrospectively decrypting the files.

The FVP provides unencrypted SD recordings out of the box (by transfer to a DMS server on a PC).

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 18:26:22 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Is this page new?

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/open-source/

I have just found this but it may have been there all the time?
    If it's new, does it mean that perhaps a custom firmware will finally be possible?

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 9:43:11 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 55 mins ago  » 
    Is this page new?
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/open-source/

No it has been there for a long time.

If it's new, does it mean that perhaps a custom firmware will finally be possible?

For a start it doesn't appear to list the FVP models although the FVP manual gives an email address to send requests to. Having the open source code that has been modified is a minor step towards custom firmware but the challenge is to get access to the box and understand the memory layout. I don't think it is impossible to develop custom firmware for the FVP models but it is more difficult and I suspect the people with the skills may be drawn towards the hardware that is designed for open source software.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 10:45:44 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I assumed that the HDPVR-5000T in the list would be the one?

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 13:03:08 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.