My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Will we ever see a replacement for the FVP-5000T

(49 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Pollensa1946 - 6 mins ago  » 
    It's definitely the case that the Freesat s/w on the G2 boxes is not owned by Humax. Freesat wanted to own the brand entirely and sub-contracted s/w development to a 3rd party. I believe I read at the time of the Freeview Play launch that the Digital TV Consortium (Freeview) had adopted the same approach. If so, any reluctance to improve the product is down to Freeview.

I agree with your comment about Freesat, but for Freeview Play I believe there are just a set of published guidelines and minimum requirements. The interfaces on the Humax and Manhattan products are very different as the attached EPG images prove.

Attachments

1. Humax-FVT-5000T-EPG-sm.jpg (82.9 KB, 16 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Manhattan-t3-r-Freeview-EPG.jpg (49.6 KB, 19 downloads) 3 years old
    | Tue 9 Jun 2020 12:10:46 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Yes, that would suggest that either Humax or a 3rd party contracted by them wrote the s/w. How does the Manhattan product compare with the 5000T, which is not held in high regard?

| Tue 9 Jun 2020 12:24:33 #22 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Martin Liddle - 9 hours ago  » 

Trev - 1 hour ago  » 
    Often repeated factoid?

Can you show me a source please?

No. Suggest you Google factoid. Martin. ;=)

| Tue 9 Jun 2020 18:59:05 #23 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I made some enquires with Manhattan who very swiftly replied (take note Humax) about any future plans for a box with an additional tuner. There current position is as follows:

We have no plans for a model with a 3rd tuner or a 2TB drive option. We use Western Digital AV-class Hard Drives with a 1 million hour MTBF and there are no such 2TB drives available. The Toshiba drives other companies use are much poorer and rated at only 600,000 hours.

The T3-R can record programmes on two channels simultaneously while you watch one of these channels, a recording or use an app (iPlayer, YouTube etc) at the same time. It's worth noting that all of the live BBC channels are available in iPlayer to be streamed and we make it easy watch that way: when browsing our TV Guide press the red button to open the selected channel directly in iPlayer. Freeview advise that further channels will be supporting this feature next year.

When recording on two channels, a software update later this year will make it possible to watch and live pause a 3rd channel. The available channels will depend on the two that are recording:
    • If they are on the same multiplex then you can watch any channel
    • If they are on two different multiplexes then you can watch any channel that's also on one of these two multiplexes

Useful to know and will keep monitoring any future developments. I can't imagine they would tell me of any future product plans, I guess that's reserved for an appropriate press launch.

I can't imagine adding a third tuner to the Manhattan would be too difficult, the existing quad-core processor could handle it and they seem pretty clued up on the software side, I suppose we will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Manhattan pull a product rabbit out of the hat, or by some miracle, Humax rewrite a much better performing version of the UI code.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 17:36:15 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

With so much content being repeated (often several times) or available on the various catch-up services, I can't remember the last time I recorded more than two programmes simultaneously.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 17:40:36 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 4 mins ago  » 
    I made some enquires with Manhattan who very swiftly replied (take note Humax) about any future plans for a box with an additional tuner. There current position is as follows:
    We have no plans for a model with a 3rd tuner or a 2TB drive option. We use Western Digital AV-class Hard Drives with a 1 million hour MTBF and there are no such 2TB drives available. The Toshiba drives other companies use are much poorer and rated at only 600,000 hours

The 5000T can already do that and also record the third channel using the time shift buffer.

Using the HD Mux. You can schedule two HD recordings using one tuner.

You can use the 2nd tuner to set a watch reservation on any one of the other HD channels on the Mux.

While the recordings are underway the box will switch to the the 3rd channel and start to buffer this to the time shift buffer.

When one of the two recordings completes pressing instant record will record the complete 3rd channel recording.
    When recording on two channels, a software update later this year will make it possible to watch and live pause a 3rd channel. The available channels will depend on the two that are recording:
    • If they are on two different multiplexes then you can watch any channel that's also on one of these two multiplexes

Useful to know and will keep monitoring any future developments. I can't imagine they would tell me of any future product plans, I guess that's reserved for an appropriate press launch.
    I can't imagine adding a third tuner to the Manhattan would be too difficult, the existing quad-core processor could handle it and they seem pretty clued up on the software side, I suppose we will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Manhattan pull a product rabbit out of the hat, or by some miracle, Humax rewrite a much better performing version of the UI code.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 17:47:32 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 min ago  » 

davidrew - 4 mins ago  » 
    We have no plans for a model with a 3rd tuner or a 2TB drive option. We use Western Digital AV-class Hard Drives with a 1 million hour MTBF and there are no such 2TB drives available. The Toshiba drives other companies use are much poorer and rated at only 600,000 hours
    The 5000T can already do that and also record the third channel using the time shift buffer.
    You can use the 2nd tuner to set a watch reservation on any one of the other HD channels on the Mux.
    While the recordings are underway the box will switch to the the 3rd channel and start to buffer this to the time shift buffer.
    When one of the two recordings completes pressing instant record will record the complete 3rd channel recording.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 17:48:59 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Trev - 1 day ago  » 

Trev - 1 hour ago  » 
    Often repeated factoid?

Sigh. A factoid is something that becomes treated as fact by repetition. What I was asking was for you to point me at a previous statement that the FVP software was developed by a third party. I don't remember seeing the statement before but my memory gets ever more unreliable and I only read PVR related stuff from a limited number of sources.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 18:24:04 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davidrew - 56 mins ago  » 
    We have no plans for a model with a 3rd tuner or a 2TB drive option. We use Western Digital AV-class Hard Drives with a 1 million hour MTBF and there are no such 2TB drives available. The Toshiba drives other companies use are much poorer and rated at only 600,000 hours.

Good to see that you got a sensible answer to your questions. 600,000 hours is 68 years of continuous use which seems adequate.

The T3-R can record programmes on two channels simultaneously while you watch one of these channels, a recording or use an app (iPlayer, YouTube etc) at the same time.

So currently it isn't as functional as a Humax PVR but they have plans to improve it which sounds encouraging. Certainly a product to keep an eye on.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 18:38:06 #29 |
  10. Trev

Trev

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 day ago  » 

Trev - 1 day ago  » 

Trev - 1 hour ago  » 
    Often repeated factoid?

Sigh. A factoid is something that becomes treated as fact by repetition. What I was asking was for you to point me at a previous statement that the FVP software was developed by a third party. I don't remember seeing the statement before but my memory gets ever more unreliable and I only read PVR related stuff from a limited number of sources.

No, I can't do that, as I have only seen the 'third party' reference in forums, and as such are factoids not facts.
    I too would like to see an indisputable source that establishes it as fact, rather than the the 'fact' being repeatedly trotted out without a reference.
    Having said that, I would strongly suspect that the software IS written by a third party, but certainly wouldn't post this as a factual statement, as I have absolutely no proof of this.
    Re. pointing you at other sources of the factoid, there is no point, even if I could be bothered to look for them, I have just read it (unsupported) elesewhere.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 8:29:15 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.