My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Wirelessly connects to router but not to Internet

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

Since initially setting up my FVP-4000T, I can connect to the Internet over Ethernet cable - but not by wireless. Wirelessly, the set-top-box accepts the wireless credentials that I enter and says the box is connected to my router but when I look at the connection details, there's a sort of pictorial display showing a working link between my STB and my router but a failed connection between my router and the Internet. I'm hoping to get this working and am looking for any help I can get.

I have eliminated a lot of possibilities but to no avail.

• The router IS connected to the Internet and is fine for both wired and wireless Internet access for phones, PCs, laptops, tablets, etc.
    • The set top box CAN access the Internet if I connect it to my router by Ethernet cable (but as STB and router are in different rooms that's not ideal, even using an Ethernet-over-mains set up.).
    • I can see from the router that the box is logged in to the wireless network and I've checked that there are no special rules in place that might restrict Internet access from the router.
    • I've even tried different DNS servers on the router (which propagate to the box), just in case the box's means of checking for an Internet connection does something specific when connecting by wireless.
    • I've done a factory reset on the Humax box too but with no effect.
    • I also tried to check for a firmware update while the box was connected by Ethernet but that just hung the box for a few hours.

This is one of those long standing problems that I've put up with for months, waiting for a rainy day on which to spend time resolving it. Its raining nicely today so...

Obviously, the impact of this is that my family can forget using the box for any form of catchup TV. Is there anything more I can try to get the wireless connection to work?

I did have a Humax Youview box and thought the much newer FVP-4000T would be a great step-up from it but in a lot of ways it feels like a backward step. The EPG, search, and a few other functions just seem that bit more clunky and less well thought through than the Youview box. Over the last few weeks, the tuning has been a bit hit and miss too with mainstream traditional channels initially coming up with "no service" or words to that effect, only to appear faultlessly a few seconds or minutes later. Anyway, that's all a digression - one problem fixing at a time!

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 12:57:01 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Before anything else can you check and post the software version currently on your unit.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 13:35:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

Thanks for the welcome, Barry!

Finding the software version - that'll be a job for this evening, but if you can guess based on age, I bought the unit pretty much the week it was first on sale in Currys last autumn (before Argos had it). Its had no successful firmware updates since and as of last night was reset to factory settings. If that's not enough to go on, I'll check this evening.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 13:50:56 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Probably you are using very old version then that could cause problems with network connections.

If possible connect via LAN again and try software update from the system menu, failing that update via usb the latest publically available is version 1.00.73

See: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_releases.php?gid=613&pid=6

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 15:01:01 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

The current version on the box is 1.00.59.

I'm trying to update by USB, downloaded the zip file, renamed it, saved it to an empty USB drive and popped it into the port on the box. It recognised the drive and prompted me to view photos, videos, or music. I cancelled out of that and went for the system information screen and the "check new software" button. I have the "searching for new software" message but it's been on that screen now for about 30 minutes. I'll be patient and give it another hour but suspect it's crashed and may ultimately need to pull the plug. Will post comments if anything happens.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 17:53:51 #5 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

Why did you rename the file, and what did you name it? Did you extract it?

Edit: I have just tried downloading this firmware, it is a compressed file contained within a folder. The file requires extracting before use, but does not need renaming.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 18:04:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

Aha! I ignored instinct and took the upgrade instructions literally, renaming the zip with the HDR extension.

I've now powered the unit down, overwritten the renamed zip with an extracted HDR file and am trying again. Started at 18.48, now 18.52 and still showing "Searching for new software"... I'll give it another 10 mins. I'm not convinced it's even looking at the USB drive - I'd expect it to at least acknowledge finding a file with the right name but not even that. 18.58 now. Think that's a fail!

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 18:59:50 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Not all units will update via the system menu and usb drive at present, which is why I suggested connecting to LAN

See Note 1 at foot of this FAQ for another method using a usb pendrive:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-to-update-software-by-ip-and-usb

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 19:16:22 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

One big step forward: your "Note 1" suggestion got the update installed. So software-wise, I'm up to date!

Sadly though, the network connection status has not improved.
    Local area network: Okay
    Internet: Failed-Check your network
    IP address, netmask, gateway and DNS servers are all valid and not in conflict.

I've tried using my phone as a wireless hotspot but the box won't even connect.
    Curiously, when I then try my regular wireless connection again, I get the same fail message but now it displays the ip and netmask as 0.0.0.0. Exasperating! They reappear as valid ip and mask values after a reboot.

The maddening thing is that I know the box has connected to my router as its picking up the Google public DNS server values that I set only yesterday. It just doesn't seem to want yo recognise that via the router it has Internet access.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 20:00:20 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

And now, for reasons I don't understand, it seems to be working!

I was repeatedly clicking the "retry" button with no joy. Probably 10, or 20 times. I'd logged in to my router to watch the TX / RX traffic for the Humax box's MAC address and it was sending/ receiving a tiny amount of data, whilst insisting it does not have Internet access.
    I went out of the network status screen and back into it and suddenly I've got two "okay" statuses.

Hm. I've checked it after going in and out of standby and we're back to the error messages. About 8 more "retry" presses and it changes to "okay".

I'm now seeing if there is any issue of poor wireless signal or intermittency but am 10 mins into watching BBC 1 catchup from earlier today with no glitches. It's as though whatever means the box uses for validating Internet access is a bit hit and miss.

In any case, somehow, we seem to have this fixed for now. When it goes wrong next, I'll repetitively try the retry button till it changes its mind!

Barry, thanks for all your help - very much appreciated.

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 20:40:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.