My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Wirelessly connects to router but not to Internet

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

christh60

I have had my 4000 T for nearly a week now and have suffered the exact same frustrating message. I tried your suggestions but still no internet connetion.
    Tonight I was looking at the Windows 10 firewall settings that had a message stating the firewall was controlled by third party virus protection (Avast in my case).
    When I looked at the settings for Firewall Policies, Packet Rules, the Windows Networking In and Out boxes were not ticked so I changed them.
    I clicked the retry connection button on the Humax and it immediately gave an Internet Okay status.
    Fingers crossed it stays that way and I hope it works for you.

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 22:42:51 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

I'm not sure I quite understand your situation though. Does your Humax box connect to the Internet somehow using your Windows 10 PC as a firewall?

In my scenario, the firewall is part of the router (a Draytek 2830n) and the Humax box connects directly to it (no PCs involved in any way).

The wireless connection from the Humax box and the router appears fine. The Humax box's ability to recognise that it has connection to the Internet is a lot more erratic. By repeatedly pressing "retry" on the relevant screen, I can get the Humax box to recognise it has an Internet connection (anything between 5 and 40 attempts needed). It remains fine for at least the amount of time needed to watch a TV program on iPlayer but at some point in the next 24 hours, it seems to forget it has a connection and I need to do the "retry" thing repeatedly again.

I'd love to know what criteria the Humax box uses to evaluate whether it has a connection to the Internet and how regularly it tests for this.

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 9:43:23 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What would be fairly standard would be on boot to acquire an ip address and then to ping a url or to start a brief exchange with a server such as a http HEAD command.

This ensures a working DNS server, a correctly configured gateway and an adequately timed response.

What is the DHCP lease period on the server, the client will attempt to renew the lease when it has used half of the lease. I would expect it to revalidate the connection at this time.

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 11:27:19 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

I have submitted my spreadsheet to Humax at the end of the firmware trial. As well as completing the spreadsheet I also attached a report detailing many of the other well-documented problems with the FVP-4000T. One of these was the flaky internet connectivity which, in my case, is actually worse with the beta firmware than it was with the original.

Richard

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 15:06:13 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

I've now had a chance to check the DHCP settings. The lease renew every 86400 seconds, which by my maths is every 24 hours.

I turned the box on about 10 minutes ago and on the router monitor portal, I can see a new lease set up for the boxes MAC address now counting down from 24 hours.

The network connectivity shows as OK but Connection to the Internet is still not happy. 9 clicks of the "retry" button and it suddenly realises it has an Internet connection.

Some combination of time, or the box going being put into standby and then powered back up seems to cause it to believe it no longer has an Internet connection and doesn't seem to be doing any "retrying" for this in the background.

Is there anything else that can be done to troubleshoot this?

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 9:47:10 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

Update:

The problem seems to start at each standby/power up cycle.
    I had the box connected and happy, put it into standby, woke it up, and immediately the Internet connection was lost and did not recover.

I think this may be the trigger for the symptoms but suspect the cause may be more down to the fact that whatever test the box performs to check for Internet connection seems to fail around 90% of the time (I got it working after another 11 presses of the retry button). If the box forces a recheck of Internet connectivity every time it comes out of standby, the check fails 9 times out of 10 and the check is only made once, this might explain why this is happening.

Knowing whether this is right and understanding specifically what check the box makes would be helpful.

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 9:59:51 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

MrBean - 4 hours ago  » 
    Update:
    The problem seems to start at each standby/power up cycle.
    I had the box connected and happy, put it into standby, woke it up, and immediately the Internet connection was lost and did not recover.
    I think this may be the trigger for the symptoms but suspect the cause may be more down to the fact that whatever test the box performs to check for Internet connection seems to fail around 90% of the time (I got it working after another 11 presses of the retry button). If the box forces a recheck of Internet connectivity every time it comes out of standby, the check fails 9 times out of 10 and the check is only made once, this might explain why this is happening.
    Knowing whether this is right and understanding specifically what check the box makes would be helpful.

I can't remember whether you are connecting by wifi or ethernet but my FVP-4000T is very flaky connecting by cable but more reliable over wifi. If I pull out the cable, connect by wifi, and the plug the cable back in it seems to detect the LAN cable and makes the connection.

Richard

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 14:29:30 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

I think my experience has been the reverse of yours Richard.

My experience of the wired connection was complicated by having to use an Ethernet over mains connection back to my router as they are in different rooms. That said, I think the wired connection was generally stable (though infrequently used, so I could be wrong) but lashing cables across the house in various places was not a good generator of marital bliss! (Nag, nag, nag...)

So, I recently resolved to get some stability out of the wireless connection, as this was one of the major selling points over my original Youview box.

The crazy thing is that the Humax box and router seem perfectly happy establishing a connection between each other. If I was using a media server on my local network, I'm sure it would be fine. For some reason though, just the onward Internet connection is something that the Humax box really struggles to acknowledge, while all my other wireless devices are perfectly happy with Internet access.

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 15:01:51 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

So what make and model of router do you have?

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 17:24:09 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Your problem is very likely poor wifi reception. This result you are seeing is common in Android devices and I would think the Humax Linux implementation is similar. On my Android tablet, I walk to the edge of the wifi zone, the tablet obtains an IP address and then displays a message... "Connected, but no internet access". I look at the wifi strength for that particular connection and it is very poor. I walk towards the core of the signal (router or switch) and the message spontaneously changes to... "Connected". I again look at the wifi strength and it is much stronger. There is clearly code in Android that will not allow an internet connection below a certain signal strength. Likely to be similar in the Humax.

| Thu 21 Apr 2016 10:27:41 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.