My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Wirelessly connects to router but not to Internet

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBean

The Humax Linux implementation may be the issue but the box is in an area about 4m from the router, where every other wireless device shows good signal. I had cause to use my ageing, dust-covered LG Blu-ray player a few days ago and within seconds of turning it on, it had connected with my Wi-Fi and merrily began downloading a firmware update. As it is in the same stand as the Humax box, and both it, my mobile, tablet and laptop can all work in the same area, signal strength shouldn't be the issue but maybe the Linux implementation Humax uses sees things differently.

Its now gone from bad to worse. I used to be able to force the Humax box to connect by repeatedly clicking the retry button when viewing the failed Internet connection and after about 15 attempts on average, it would connect and remain connected till the box next went into standby. I turned it on one day recently and the UI had changed. I guess a firmware update had been applied (though can't remember whether I'd requested one, or whether it temporarily had a connection and updated itself).

Now I cannot seem to force an Internet connection for love nor money and periodically an on-screen message pops up at the top of the screen alternating between network connected and disconnected. On some occasions the message doesn't go away and the box becomes unresponsive to the remote. On other occasions I can open the menu to access recordings and the screen blanks and after a bit of delay, I realise the box is off and needs booting. Whatever programming is in there feels flakier than ever.

I always assume that people suggesting they're going to put a box in the bin and buy something else are just being too impatient, but for the first time, that's the solution I'm looking at. When watching the TV becomes surrounded by niggling problems, it ceases to be fit for use and time to look for a plan B.

| Wed 1 Jun 2016 18:20:26 #21 |
  2. graham uk

graham uk

special member

I have to re-Boot the 4000T everyday before it will internet connect. It sees the Router OK.but fails to connect FAILED unless re-Booted.

graham uk

| Tue 21 Jun 2016 20:44:33 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

MrBean - 2 weeks ago  » ... LG Blu-ray...both it, my mobile, tablet and laptop can all work in the same area, signal strength shouldn't be the issue...

What is your signal strength? It may well be that the Humax sets a high bar with regard to what is acceptable. You should be able to measure it on one of your devices. For example I have an app on the home page of my Android mobile that gives me an exact readout of the current signal.

| Tue 21 Jun 2016 21:24:17 #23 |
  4. graham uk

graham uk

special member

I using a Netgear Wifi Extender give me 90% at the Humax.
    Netgear WN3000RP works great if anyone is wanting £24.99

graham uk

| Wed 22 Jun 2016 8:32:07 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harryhornby

special member

With all the problems I'm having I'm thinking about going for a complete reset of the unit, complete with format of the drive.

A couple of questions:

I've done a reset before but not a total reset including formatting. Is it worth going the whole hog to see if that helps?

If it is worth it, I've got loads of recordings I don't want to lose. Can I copy them off the humax and then copy them back when I've done the format? If so, how do I do that?

Cheers

| Wed 22 Jun 2016 13:04:54 #25 |
  6. graham uk

graham uk

special member

Harryhornby. As far as I'm aware Factory Reset does not delete the HD recording as it's only dealing with the Operating System.

graham uk

| Wed 22 Jun 2016 13:34:54 #26 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Format of HDD during a factory reset is user selectable.

@ Harryhornby - Try a factory reset without HDD format to start with and see how the unit then performs. Remember to make a note of your recording schedule as you will have to re-enter it.

| Wed 22 Jun 2016 13:48:23 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harryhornby

special member

Thanks guys, just realised I totally hijacked another thread, not sure what I was thinking......

| Wed 22 Jun 2016 14:51:35 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

For information, my FVP-4000T works fine over WiFi, where I have a WiFi Extender in the same room as the Humax.

I would strongly suggest investigating the WiFi signal strength as the cause of any problems.

1 Is the Humax surrounded by other devices (especially with metal cases!) which are screening it?

2 Temporarily locate the Humax close to the router. Does it now work properly?

| Thu 14 Jul 2016 20:22:01 #29 |
  10. graham uk

graham uk

special member

FVP4000T Freeview 6 weeks old with latest OS 1.01.25
    Still having to re-Boot everyday to obtain internet conection.

My remody is to fit a timer switch on the power socket.
    Set to switch mains off 2am till 2pm...This can be changed if a early hours recording is needed.
    So far the 4K now connects to internet when activated.
    (same as a Re-Boot).

graham uk

| Sun 17 Jul 2016 13:11:46 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.