My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Won't switch on while recording

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

I have been having a problem with this since I've had the 4000t.{Approx 18 months, posted elsewhere on this forum] I have a Samsung Freesat TV and have a CEC block connector in HDMI input to TV. This successfully stopped annoying conflicts at the outset. Not coming on whilst recording is only intermittent usually occurs when you least want it. When it does happen the box completely freezes and no amount of button pressing will coax it into life,[Red light just stays steady ON.] This is a good bit of kit when it is all working OK, particularly being able to stream recording to PC etc, so come on Humax sort the software. Or let us know what the fix is.

| Sun 7 Aug 2016 14:46:27 #21 |
  2. brian

brian

special member

seniorbj - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have been having a problem with this since I've had the 4000t.{Approx 18 months, posted elsewhere on this forum]

You must have had a pre-production prototype, as the FVP-4000T was only launched 10 months ago.

| Sun 7 Aug 2016 15:53:37 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsycola

I wonder if some of the problems I and some other people have had are inadvertent user problems. For example, by reading some of the posts in this thread I've learnt that in order to switch the box on one should simply press the power button once, briefly, and then wait for up to 30 seconds. If there's not an immediate response it's easy to think that the box isn't going to come on and press the button again, resulting in it getting its knickers in a twist.

Points like this should be writ large in the operating instructions.

| Sun 7 Aug 2016 17:31:59 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

You could be right, I usually wait a while for the response but perhaps I am not waiting long enough, I will, next time I use the function, time it to make sure. Type error the unit is 8 months not 18 months old.

| Mon 8 Aug 2016 8:58:04 #24 |
  5. barryiow

barryiow

I had the same problem, I also found new batteries in the remote helped.

| Mon 8 Aug 2016 10:36:01 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

Again this evening the unit would not come out of recording mode despite waiting nearly a minute after pressing the on/off button, first press caused red light to blink waited for 45 seconds no change, second press caused the screen to blank completely to black, total freeze up of unit with no response whatsoever to remote. I did not want to pull the power as it was in the middle of recording a program. I am getting just a little annoyed with this fault. On a previous evening an attempt to come out of recording mode was successful after several selections. I refer to my post of the 7th Aug. - are Humax aware of this problem and is there any hope of a fix.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 22:43:32 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsycola

I've had a good deal of email correspondence with someone called Stephen at Humax which I initiated because of this very problem. On one occasion I was sent a very detailed list of instructions which basically rebooted the machine, forcing it to download the latest software update. Since then I haven't had a any problems with switching it on while it's recording (although having said that, I watch/record very little anyway). However I've at least twice experienced the box switch itself off and reboot right in the middle of recording something, resulting in a 10-minute recording rather than the complete programme. On both these occasions I happened to be watching a previous recording so knew it had happened and was able to restart the current recording, losing just a few minutes. Bloody annoying nevertheless.

I mentioned this rebooting problem to Stephen but he had no idea why it should happen. I think Humax have done a Microsoft on us with this one - release untested software and let the customers find all the bugs. It really is a poor state of affairs.

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 10:45:55 #27 |
  8. barryiow

barryiow

My replacement FVP-4000T has the same problem with not always turning on while it is recording, I normally need to wait until it has stopped recording, unplug it for a while then reboot it to get it to work.
    Like others I keep my fingers crossed that they get a fix for this
    And I have updated it etc.

| Thu 25 Aug 2016 11:00:31 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

I was thinking of returning my unit for a new one, but it would seem the problem will still be there. Could we not have some input from the Humax software developers letting us know what they are doing to rectify the problem. I certainly wouldn't recommend this unit to anybody, the comment I get from my wife when we try to switch to the unit and it won't come out of record mode is 'useless article', I have a tendency to agree with her!

| Thu 25 Aug 2016 21:34:22 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

patsycola - 1 day ago  » 
    I think Humax have done a Microsoft on us with this one - release untested software and let the customers find all the bugs. It really is a poor state of affairs.

Wonder if it's worth trying Ctrl / Alt / Delete to reboot the Humax

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 3:38:19 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.