My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Youview missing end of programme

(45 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Now they have some real competition (Freeview Play). perhaps they may at last listen (or face extinction ).

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 20:55:14 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I suppose it's up to BT.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 21:51:22 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

It may still be Youview to start it off. Section 3.6.1 The technical specification from 2011 dictates that the EIT p/f is use for the start and end for over the air scheduled recordings. Unless there is a later version which has not been placed on public release and the later version contains the required scope then Youview would first need to supersede that document.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 9:59:42 #33 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

But does it dictate that the EIT p/f be used to signal actual start / end of programmes or just the notional start / end as shown in the published schedule and which run strictly by the clock regardless of early starts and over-runs?

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 10:26:24 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It may still be Youview to start it off. Section 3.6.1 The technical specification from 2011 dictates that the EIT p/f is use for the start and end for over the air scheduled recordings. Unless there is a later version which has not been placed on public release and the later version contains the required scope then Youview would first need to supersede that document.

They haven't bothered updating up till now, in spite of the numerous ways in which the existing box does not meet the specification.

The technical specification was published at a time when it was expected, or bruited, that YouView was going to be the new Freeview, with standards and certification etc. That didn't happen, so the 2011 spec doesn't fill the same rôle as the D-Book. But it must be of concern to BT if its system box isn't able to record these channels correctly due to the intersection between the deficiencies of the box and the sloppiness of the broadcaster. Putting pressure on YouView is the way owners of retail YouView boxes (non-BT customers) can influence the consortium (dominated by BT) to lean on UKTV or (much less likely I suspect) authorize an update to add padding to the box.

BT TV customers can complain direct to BT, or to both.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 10:33:51 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 
    But does it dictate that the EIT p/f be used to signal actual start / end of programmes or just the notional start / end as shown in the published schedule and which run strictly by the clock regardless of early starts and over-runs?

I see what you mean.

Section 3.6.1 of chapter XI states "shall be controlled by changes in the EIT present/following information".

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 13:13:24 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    But it must be of concern to BT if its system box isn't able to record these channels correctly due to the intersection between the deficiencies of the box and the sloppiness of the broadcaster.

The usual complaints are mostly of UKTV channels and occasionally BBC Radio channels. That is not 'sloppiness'. Its just that the broadcaster hasn't taken up using the EITp/f to also provide AR.
    Looking at the DUK guide to launching a channel it clearly states that AR is optional at launch and after launch.

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    Putting pressure on YouView is the way owners of retail YouView boxes (non-BT customers) can influence the consortium (dominated by BT) to lean on UKTV or (much less likely I suspect) authorize an update to add padding to the box.

I'm not sure that pressure does exist for Youview from its current owner base. There are some active members of the Youview community forum who think that because a broadcaster must provide the data for the EIT p/f that they must also do it in such away that it supports AR.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 13:30:40 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The usual complaints are mostly of UKTV channels and occasionally BBC Radio channels. That is not 'sloppiness' of either UKTV or the BBC. Its just that the broadcaster has not taken up the option of using the EITp/f to also provide AR.
    Looking at the DUK guide to launching a channel it clearly states that is is optional at launch and after launch.
    You're right - sloppiness for C5, who are YouView shareholders and therefore must have undertaken to provide AR, but if it's not mandatory for Freeview then UKTV have no obligation to use it. Point accepted.

I'm not sure that pressure does exist for Youview from its current owner base. There are some active members of the Youview community forum who think that because a broadcaster must provide the data for the EIT p/f that they must also do it in such away that it supports AR.

Sorry, I don't follow. If you mean that YouView tends to ignore complaints from retail users, I agree. I think they're alert to feedback about problems that matter to BT customers though.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 13:46:59 #38 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

As a trial user of the Youview box my experience is that of all the many issues we reported only a small handful have ever been acted upon especially if you discount the bug fixes.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 14:09:55 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

gomezz - 8 minutes ago  » 
    As a trial user of the Youview box my experience is that of all the many issues we reported only a small handful have ever been acted upon especially if you discount the bug fixes.

I agree. It's only if BT is bothered about something that action is ever taken. Which is pretty much to be expected, IMO, since it's BT who provide most of the funding. Retail customer satisfaction/dissatisfaction is not of much weight, the way things have been set up.

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 14:25:21 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.