My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Youview missing end of programme

(45 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Good to hear.

Unit should tune in SD muxes first then HD.

As a matter of interest which channel did it miss during scan?

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 11:21:19 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RDG

Channel 22

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 11:23:00 #22 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Thank you.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 11:24:33 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

gomezz - 2 days ago  » 
    Which broadcaster told you that? Never heard such bull! While the Youview box is far from perfect the broadcasters have had years to make the transmission of Accurate Recording signals reliable and cope as it is supposed to with late starts and overruns.

From the report in post #14 UKTV do not think that they have to supply Accurate Recording through either of the methods available.
    Are you of a view that they contractually obligated to?

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 15:24:05 #24 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

No. Perhaps they now ought to be as and when their licences come up for renewal?

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 15:28:12 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I would put the pressure on YouView, as they're the ones who leave YouView users entirely reliant on AR.

YouView recently made an official statement on this matter:

Hi guys,

UKTV have now made improvements to programme start and end times to ensure that recordings for their shows are now accurate and not clipped. There may be a small number of programmes that still have an issue but UKTV are making further improvements to ensure all content works correctly when recorded.

If you encounter any issues when recording programmes do let us know and we will feed this back.

Thanks,

Phil

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/clipped-recordings-on-drama-yesterday-dave-and-others?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=16133952#reply_16133952

I suggest this invitation should be taken up. I think YouView know full well they made a boner when they decided to make it impossible for users to adjust recording times. They may be able to get UKTV to sort itself out - they did succeed with C5. Might be less successful with UKTV, as it's not a YouView shareholder, but it's worth adding to the pressure.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 16:02:36 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Link to comments from about 3 years ago, concerning YouView's absence of padding capability, from Youview's then Chief Finance Officer.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/manualy_add_to_start_end_of_recordings?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=11568830#reply_11568830

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 16:46:44 #27 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Even ITV get it wrong! Just had the Scotland v Samoa game cut short in the last few exciting minutes. Fortunately was also set to record Wales v Australia so only missed a few seconds of action as one recording ended and the new one fired up. I knew I should have set a hammock timer to cover all three games ...

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 16:47:08 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    .... I think YouView know full well they made a boner when they decided to make it impossible for users to adjust recording times.

I also believe that. The reason I believe that is a single posting on youview community. The posting confused readers by stating that the eit p/f was compulsory in a context that was talking to about whether or not Accurate Recording was compulsory. This is now being referred to as proof that AR is compulsory but no youview representatives have corrected the misunderstanding of their statement.

Do you know what lies behind your belief that YouView know "full well" that they made a mistake?

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    They may be able to get UKTV to sort itself out - they did succeed with C5.

I've heard that before. My impression was that five must have been on the case already, but I could have been mistaken. Can you remember anything that would swing me one way or the other?

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 18:50:36 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Do you know what lies behind your belief that YouView know "full well" that they made a mistake?

Only the defensive tone of the letter from the CFO, combined with the known pressures on YouView to get the box launched in time for the Olympics.

My impression was that five must have been on the case already, but I could have been mistaken. Can you remember anything that would swing me one way or the other?

As I recall, there were choruses of complaints, YouView staff promised to raise it with C5, and the timings began to improve. It does seem to me quite plausible that the complaints would be reported and subsequently raised at a shareholder meeting. But I'm not sure YouView's representations would carry as much weight with UKTV.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 20:40:46 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.