My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Losing end of recordings

(49 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wiggers - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I think it was a year or two ago, I was trying to do a series recording of Pie in the Sky, probably ITV3. Can't remember exactly what now. Just remember the angry frustration at not seeing the end of the programme time after time.

Don't you think the broadcasters might have sorted out the issue in over 12 months ? The box works as it is supposed to as specified by Freesat. As with anything if the data it is sent is incorrect then it cannot possibly get it right. GIGO

You have already been told that AR is more reliable than padding, it's very simple for you to try it out. Other than pointing out it's not the box but a broadcaster issue. That's where you should be complaining,

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 14:12:49 #11 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

wiggers - 1 hour ago  » 
    As for the recording of consecutive programmes going wrong, why doesn't it use the two tuners to record the programmes separately? Instead it seems to rely on just one tuner!

Ok so suppose you wanted to record those consecutive program's on say ITVHD and you also wanted to record something on BBC1 that overlapped the other 2, you wouldn't be able to do so if both the tuners were already allocated to ITV.
    Allocating 1 tuner for consecutive recordings on the same channel frees up the other tuner for another channel.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 14:23:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

grahamlthompson - 18 minutes ago  » 

Don't you think the broadcasters might have sorted out the issue in over 12 months ?

Hadn't occurred to me! Such organisations never seem to care about such fine points. All they're interested in is the viewing figures the next morning that they can use to sell advertising or whatever. You'd think by the second decade of this century, 40 years after VHS was invented, that the simple matter of recording a TV programme would become effortless and not a struggle to second-guess the vagaries of broadcasters and equipment manufacturers.

In any case, the padding setting doesn't affect the instant recording, which apparently needs some other remote control button presses to extend past where the TV station decides to press the 'end of programme' button.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 14:38:14 #13 |
  4. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

wiggers - 15 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Don't you think the broadcasters might have sorted out the issue in over 12 months ?

Hadn't occurred to me! Such organisations never seem to care about such fine points. All they're interested in is the viewing figures the next morning that they can use to sell advertising or whatever.

Of coarse they care as them getting it right or wrong can affect those viewing figures.
    Talking from a recent experience with IITVHD when the clocks went forward, for some reason the double Corrie episodes on a Monday and Friday had recording issues.
    The 1st episode started recordng around 4 mins before the start and chopping off the end, and the 2nd episode didn't start recording until after it had already started. Other people reported issues with Emmerdale too.
    After a few emails to ITV Viewer services and a couple of one to one phone calls they fixed the issue and now it works perfectly.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 15:23:49 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

-gonzo- - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Of coarse they care as them getting it right or wrong can affect those viewing figures.
    Talking from a recent experience with IITVHD when the clocks went forward, for some reason the double Corrie episodes on a Monday and Friday had recording issues.

Maybe with a high-profile, revenue-generating programme like Corrie, but not repeats of Pie in the Sky!

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 15:48:26 #15 |
  6. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

wiggers - 6 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 23 minutes ago  » 

Maybe with a high-profile, revenue-generating programme like Corrie, but not repeats of Pie in the Sky!

But then regardless of the program, if they don't get told they won't know there's a problem.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 15:59:02 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wiggers - 1 hour ago  » 
    In any case, the padding setting doesn't affect the instant recording, which apparently needs some other remote control button presses to extend past where the TV station decides to press the 'end of programme' button.

No that isn't right. Instant records will end at the scheduled end of program; far too many broadcasters pay scant attention to the scheduled times which is why it is usually necessary to extend the instant record.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 16:33:26 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

wiggers - 1 hour ago  » 

No that isn't right. Instant records will end at the scheduled end of program; far too many broadcasters pay scant attention to the scheduled times which is why it is usually necessary to extend the instant record.

The thing is though and as handy as this function was when I had my 9200T, you cannot actually do this on the HDR1000/1010s so doesn't actually help wiggers with that particular issue with instant recordings.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 18:00:15 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

-gonzo- - 15 minutes ago  » 
    The thing is though and as handy as this function was when I had my 9200T, you cannot actually do this on the HDR1000/1010s so doesn't actually help wiggers with that particular issue with instant recordings.

So it is broken! The padding setting doesn't affect instant recordings and there is no other way of extending the finish time to ensure you get the end. I did try pressing the record button again but all I got was the option to cancel the recording.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 18:18:37 #19 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

wiggers - 22 minutes ago  » 
    So it is broken!

No, it's not broken!
    What you want it to do was never written in the specification in the first place so was never a function of the software.
    If it was a function but didn't work then yes I'd agree that it was broken, but you can't brake a function that was never added in the first place.
    Perhaps you should contact both Humax and Freesat and request for it to be an added feature for a future update.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 18:48:42 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.