My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5 USA recordings start late and finish early

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have had a response from Channel 5 which, frankly, I just do not believe!

I complained:

Dear Sir or Madam

I wish to make a complaint about the timing signals transmitted by channels 5 and 5 USA which Freeview and Freeview+ recorders use to record the programmes.

These signals should be transmitted when the program starts, and when the program credits end, so that the recorder can record the entire programme.

5 and 5 USA transmit these signals at the incorrect times.

Some examples: ...

I got this email this morning.

Dear John

Thank you for your recent e-mails. We apologise for the delay in responding.

We were sorry to read that you experienced problems recording programmes from our channels. As is the case with most channels, Channel 5 does not currently provide ‘live’ or real time synchronisation of our Electronic Programme Guide (EPG). This can result in programmes being cut short if buffers or extensions of PVR recording times are not added to the recordings. If possible, we advise viewers to add five minutes to the start and the end of recordings in these instances.

Sadly we are at a loss to explain why you recorder would stop recording Neighbours five to ten minutes early.

Thank you for your interest in Channel 5.

Yours sincerely

Txxxx
    VIEWER ADVISOR

Can anyone give me references to documentation, or anything else which shows that C5 does transmit timing signals, so that I can knock some sense into this person.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 13:18:05 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

People have been complaining about C5 not complying with AR for years, without much improvement except briefly when YouView wagged a finger at them. I suspect there's zero chance of them sorting it out, now they've been bought by Viacom. At least you got a polite reply with reasonable advice.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 13:42:22 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Ms Google tells me that Digital TV Group (DTG) publishes the Freeview specification in a document known as the “D-Book” which is only availabe to members - see The D-Book

I thought that "accurate recordings" was an advertising puff for Freeview Plus. If it is included in the specification, and C5 does not provide it (which I do not believe!,) then C5 needs a swift kick in the appropriate area.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:03:22 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The Freeview specifications are standards which equipment must meet in order to carry the Freeview logo.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:16:41 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I must be missing something here!

I buy a Freeview+ box because it has the Freeview+ logo meaning (as far as I can see, and among other things) that it will "Accurate Record".

Surely therefore, there must be an obligation on the broadcaster to do what it needs to do - provide accurate timing signals - so that the Accurate Record works as advertised.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:37:33 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnH77 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Surely therefore, there must be an obligation on the broadcaster to do what it needs to do - provide accurate timing signals - so that the Accurate Record works as advertised.

Try contacting Freeview and see what they say.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:40:38 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I buy a Freeview+ box because it has the Freeview+ logo meaning (as far as I can see, and among other things) that it will "Accurate Record".

No, the Freeview+ logo tells you the box has been put through the Freeview+ tests and is certified as meeting the standard. Including, among other things, the ability to correctly handle "Accurate Recording".

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:42:47 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

No, the Freeview+ logo tells you the box has been put through the Freeview+ tests and is certified as meeting the standard. Including, among other things, the ability to correctly handle "Accurate Recording".

I understand that, but are you saying that there is no obliigation on the broadcasters to provide the timing signals to make it work?

There is an obligation on the broadcasters to provide programme banners and to provide the information to populate the EPG. IT seems therefore that there must be an obligation to provide accurate timing markers.

Where can I read a copy of the specification and/or the broadcaster's obligations when it ius granted a licence to broadcast on Freeview?

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:55:27 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Here's a digital spy thread from quite a while back which explains how it works and includes a response from Freeview to save you the trouble.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1076177

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:56:57 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Thanks. The relevant bit seems to be

There aren't actually start and stop signals - there's a unique code for the programme, and it's broadcast for the duration of the programme. Some broadcasters are better than others at ensuring that the code changes in sync with the actual transmitted picture and others don't give a ****.

That is very useful, but unfortunately anecdotal, saying it is the timing of this "unique code" which C5 gets wrong.

Do you know what the "unique code" is called? Or where I can find a publication describing it? I would like to skewer C5/5USA by telling them exactly what they are doing wrong.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 16:28:50 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.