My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T odd occurrence

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

Not sure if it's relevant but if my internet drops out then I get a message on my Humax box at the top saying something like 'network disconnected' then when the internet sorts itself out it pops up with 'network connected' it doesn't reboot the box though as I've been watching it and seen all this happen.
    As I say I'm not sure if it's relevant but thought I'd mention it in case it's of any help at all.

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 13:00:44 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Christina2018 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Not sure if it's relevant but if my internet drops out then I get a message on my Humax box at the top saying something like 'network disconnected' then when the internet sorts itself out it pops up with 'network connected' it doesn't reboot the box though as I've been watching it and seen all this happen.
    As I say I'm not sure if it's relevant but thought I'd mention it in case it's of any help at all.

The short dropouts I described don't prompt any response, it has to be longer before my WiFi router (I have a seperate one) tells me the the connection is lost. I only know because attempting to open a website gives a DNS error. Trying again about 15-30 seconds later it connects fine. Must get round to getting Virgin to check my line.

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 13:13:56 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 51 minutes ago  » 
    I only know because attempting to open a website gives a DNS error. Trying again about 15-30 seconds later it connects fine.

If you are getting DNS errors then have you considered the possibility is that it is the DNS server you are using that is the problem rather than the connection. A few years ago I had endless problems with one of our in house developed application that was rather sensitive to DNS errors (surprisingly at the time Google DNS was pretty poor). In the end I switched the DNS servers to Open DNS and all the problems went away. The addresses for the OpenDNS servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 14:10:46 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 51 minutes ago  » 
    I only know because attempting to open a website gives a DNS error. Trying again about 15-30 seconds later it connects fine.

If you are getting DNS errors then have you considered the possibility is that it is the DNS server you are using that is the problem rather than the connection. A few years ago I had endless problems with one of our in house developed application that was rather sensitive to DNS errors (surprisingly at the time Google DNS was pretty poor). In the end I switched the DNS servers to Open DNS and all the problems went away. The addresses for the OpenDNS servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

It's only been an issue for the last few days. Nothing has changed in months. Pretty sure it's a service issue.

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 16:56:22 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    It's only been an issue for the last few days. Nothing has changed in months. Pretty sure it's a service issue.

Yes of course it is a "service" issue but how have you checked whether it is a loss of connectivity or a DNS server problem?

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 18:54:54 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 38 minutes ago  » 

Yes of course it is a "service" issue but how have you checked whether it is a loss of connectivity or a DNS server problem?

It's usually back within 15-20 seconds or so so how can I check what the issue might be as it's already fixed ?

| Thu 21 Feb 2019 19:34:50 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 38 minutes ago  » 

It's usually back within 15-20 seconds or so so how can I check what the issue might be as it's already fixed ?

Virgin (touch wood seem to have fixed the issue. So far today no issues at all.

| Fri 22 Feb 2019 11:57:26 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Another odd occurrence has happened today. I have had Antiques Roadshow (BBC1 SD) on series recording for ages, however today's schedule was rather strange.

It was showing on the full schedule list, but if I looked at the EPG there was no red clock symbol. Selecting the programme from the EPG showed two previous unwatched programmes in the panel on the left and a red clock for next week but, despite the date showing on the panel, it had no red clock for today.

I was only able to resolve it by cancelling the series and then setting it up again. Whether it would have recorded or not as it was, I have no way of knowing.

| Sun 24 Feb 2019 15:08:06 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

A1944 - 3 days ago  » 
    Another odd occurrence has happened today. I have had Antiques Roadshow (BBC1 SD) on series recording for ages, however today's schedule was rather strange.
    It was showing on the full schedule list, but if I looked at the EPG there was no red clock symbol. Selecting the programme from the EPG showed two previous unwatched programmes in the panel on the left and a red clock for next week but, despite the date showing on the panel, it had no red clock for today.
    I was only able to resolve it by cancelling the series and then setting it up again. Whether it would have recorded or not as it was, I have no way of knowing.

Same thing happened with Pointless on BBC 1 HD for the next two days. I really hate the 5000T, my old Topfield was, until its HDD failed, so much more reliable.

| Wed 27 Feb 2019 22:10:08 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 7 minutes ago  » 

A1944 - 3 days ago  » 

Same thing happened with Pointless on BBC 1 HD for the next two days. I really hate the 5000T, my old Topfield was, until its HDD failed, so much more reliable.

It's not the box that is the issue is down to the BBC . Your Topfield would have the same issues. At the moment the BBC have lost the plot on both Freeview and Freesat.

EG on Freesat Lunchtime recording of Bargain Hunt for the same episode is recording twice, on BBC1-HD England and BBC1-HD Scotland.

Deleting the recording reservation and transferring to Freeview where there was no possibility of BBC1-HD Scotland proved difficult. Simply deleting the one reservation producing two recordings was ignored. Only by finding the recording on the epg on BBC-HD scotland first ewas I able to delete the series recording reservation. This does suggest a software issue not envisaged by Humax.

This is down to incorrect Series CRID codeing from the broadcaster resulting in one reservation producing two recordings of the same content.

On both Freeview and Freesat BBC1-HD Back to back recordings of the daytime shows of Doctors and the follow on Shakespeare and Hathaway are resulting in Doctors overrunning despite the actual broadcast finishing pretty mucch on time. This is causing the follow on broadcast to lose enough of the start to make iplayer required to make sense of the late start of the subsequent follow on content.

This indicates that the BBC have serious issues with the timing of the accurate recording codes that indicate the finish of the previous content and the start of the next.

This is not surprisingly restricted to Humax kit but is reported on other Kit as well.

Suggest you report the issue to the BBC.

| Wed 27 Feb 2019 22:41:16 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.