My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

All recordings lost ?

(55 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nigel_HD - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Whatever the statistics of the failure rate, the fact remains that if you are in the 'HDD failure or motherboard failure club' you have LOST your recordings. In the IT world, proprietary disk recovery software will often make a success out of a disaster, and provided you have the encryption key, then encrypted files can usually be recovered. My gripe is that it seems in Humax world, if you have the 'problem' you are locked out of your old recordings. That is the problem.
    I'm still crossing my fingers, but equally thinking about how I can escape this potential 'prison' into a non-Humax Freesat world.

The encryption is enforced by the Freesat licence. Ergo only way to escape is a advanced generic fta box. Some have a epg.

There is no 2nd generation freesat+ box maker other than Humax and freesat are responsible for the software. The first generation Foxsat-HDR with the Custom Firmware is much more secure recordings wise.

| Thu 11 Jan 2018 20:47:20 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nigel_HD

Hmm. Sounds like a near-monopoly. It's just a pity it is an imperfect monopoly.

| Thu 11 Jan 2018 22:01:06 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nigel_HD - 4 minutes ago  » 

Not a monopoly, other makers could have also made a G2 box. One in fact said they would. It never materialised. It wouldn't have made any difference the encryption and lack of recording export is down to the Freesat. The very first boxes of which I have one, do not appear to have the problem, suggesting a mother board component not to spec is the issue.

My HDR-1000S is on it's second 2TB disk. Other than that it has been 100 % reliable.

| Thu 11 Jan 2018 22:13:48 #33 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My HDR-1000S is also still going strong.

I have not seen any reports of the HDR-1100S model with the component problem.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 6:50:23 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nigel_HD

So that is encouraging. The fact remains however, there is no way to perform a data backup. This goes against ALL the best practice in the IT industry. Have Humax ever heard of the terms 'Business Continuity' and 'Disaster Recovery' ? I bet their in-house IT systems are covered !

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 13:26:08 #35 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I rather think Humax's systems are but the requirement for no copying off the unit (unless you copied the item to it) comes indirectly from the broadcasters via freesat and not Humax.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 13:40:00 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nigel_HD

Yes, this is the message coming from several directions. As I said earlier, my fingers are crossed. Thanks again all for the replies to my post.

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 13:42:21 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I am told that the nearest to a official Freesat+ box with no encryption is a Enigma 2 Linux based box.

http://www.freetv.ie/enigma2/

| Fri 12 Jan 2018 15:27:55 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blisteringblue

REPASSAC - 2 months ago  » 
    Put the unit in standby then remove the power for five minutes.
    Reconnect the power and wait for the unit to recover from power failure. (it will set it's clock and then may enter standby or remain on depending on what it remembers of it's previous state).
    If in standby power-on.
    Wait for unit fully powered up plus 1 minute.
    Hopefully all restored.

Just a post to say thanks, happened to ours last night HDR1000S that had been fine for years. Fixed it this morning with this.

| Sat 10 Mar 2018 12:31:32 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Nigel_HD - 1 month ago  » 

It reminds me of Apple.

| Sat 10 Mar 2018 23:47:20 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.