My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

All recordings lost ?

(55 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DavidA

I am new to this forum but would like to tell you my experience with lost recordings on an HDR-1000S:
    Over a period of several months I have occasionally turned on my Humax box in the hope that I can recover the numerous recordings that I have made over the last few years – but with no success - just the same message "“You don’t have any recordings at the moment”. I have just read the comments by Nigel-HD and have also tried to record a programme today on what appears to be a corrupted hard drive, and after a delay of about 30 minutes all my recording suddenly reappeared! I have switched the box off and back on again and my recordings are still there! The question I am now asking myself is how can I make sure I don't lose these recordings again as the system appears to be unstable.

| Tue 20 Nov 2018 18:19:05 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

DavidA - 1 hour ago  » 
    The question I am now asking myself is how can I make sure I don't lose these recordings again as the system appears to be unstable.

I think the only real solution is to get someone who knows what they are doing to replace the faulty component on the motherboard.

| Tue 20 Nov 2018 19:51:32 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

DavidA - 22 hours ago  » 
    I have occasionally turned on my Humax box in the hope that I can recover the numerous recordings that I have made over the last few years – but with no success .

When you say 'recover the numerous recordings' what is it you are hoping to do at that point? Unfortunately you can't move them to another PVR or PC to watch on those devices as your recordings are locked to the machine they were recorded on.

This is one of the big drawbacks with the modern PVR i.e. when your PVR dies the recordings die with them.

With the older Humax PVRs you could transfer them to other devices.

| Wed 21 Nov 2018 17:11:05 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

DavidA

[I have occasionally turned on my Humax box in the hope that I can recover the numerous recordings that I have made over the last few years – but with no success]

Thanks for your comments. That is a good question. Why do we allow ourselves to record programmes that will fill a 1Gb hard drive when we know that we cannot rely on keeping them? Perhaps we should just record programmes that we can watch later and then delete, but then we would not need the capacity of a large hard drive!

I shall treat this machine with care and watch the programmes I have recorded until it packs-in again. That's all I can do because of the frustrating restrictions of the Humax system.

| Wed 21 Nov 2018 18:04:56 #44 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

DavidA - 22 hours ago  » 
    I have occasionally turned on my Humax box in the hope that I can recover the numerous recordings that I have made over the last few years – but with no success .

When you say 'recover the numerous recordings' what is it you are hoping to do at that point? Unfortunately you can't move them to another PVR or PC to watch on those devices as your recordings are locked to the machine they were recorded on.
    This is one of the big drawbacks with the modern PVR i.e. when your PVR dies the recordings die with them.
    With the older Humax PVRs you could transfer them to other devices.

There are post's that indicate you can copy encrypted HD recordings to a PC booted into Linux (or using a windows EXT 3 driver. to a PC

And then replace them on a new hard drive setup by the G2 box. This will of course only work if the motherboard is the original. I haven't tried this on other than the first G2 boxes. Later firmware upgrades may have made this possible.

You can already preserve SD recordings.

| Wed 21 Nov 2018 20:20:34 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The following link is an interesting read on this subject.

https://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb/

| Wed 21 Nov 2018 23:32:26 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DavidA

I have been searching the internet for a way to make a computer look like a TV set so that HDCP is not a problem. I have programmes recordings on my Humax box that are unlikely to be broadcast again and are not available for purchase, so I have no qualms about trying to capture these programmes on my computer. I have not had much success so far, but an HDMI Splitter as shown on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAJL8pc85lo might be part of the answer. I can after all record HD programmes on my computer using a TV Capture card which takes a feed directly from the aerial. This method is not as convenient as recording with a Humax box, but the recordings are HD and unencrypted. I am not sure it is worth pursuing this any further as it is turning out to be too time consuming but thank you all for your comments.

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 12:18:45 #47 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DavidA - 58 minutes ago  » 
    I have been searching the internet for a way to make a computer look like a TV set so that HDCP is not a problem. I have programmes recordings on my Humax box that are unlikely to be broadcast again and are not available for purchase, so I have no qualms about trying to capture these programmes on my computer. I have not had much success so far, but an HDMI Splitter as shown on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAJL8pc85lo might be part of the answer. I can after all record HD programmes on my computer using a TV Capture card which takes a feed directly from the aerial. This method is not as convenient as recording with a Humax box, but the recordings are HD and unencrypted. I am not sure it is worth pursuing this any further as it is turning out to be too time consuming but thank you all for your comments.

This is possible using a digital modulator and a Freeview PVR. The Digital modulator creates a single channel DVB-T HD channel Mux using the UHF carrier of your choice. the pvr can this tune like any other HD mux. The cheaper ones don't Dolby Digital so you would have to set the box to output PCM stereo.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edision-HDMI-Modulator-Full-Distribution-Black/dp/B00KBXKJ2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1543148513&sr=8-2&keywords=modulator+hdmi

Which Humax PVR do you have ?

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 13:21:27 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

DavidA

Hi Graham, This sounds promising but how will it help me get my HD recording off my dodgy HDR-1000S in a form that is not encrypted and can be backed-up.

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 14:55:44 #49 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DavidA - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham, This sounds promising but how will it help me get my HD recording off my dodgy HDR-1000S in a form that is not encrypted and can be backed-up.

If you can play them back they can be recorded by a Freeview-PVR.

Check your PM's

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 16:28:37 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.