My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

All4 "blocking" fault

(55 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

If still having problems then factory reset to clear all cached data.

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 11:49:17 #31 |
  2. Corrigap

Corrigap

I've performed 3 factory resets since I started getting this problem, to no avail.

There's at least one other person on this board with the same problem, possibly two. The same in the sense of having started when the new All4 app was launched.

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 12:42:13 #32 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Corrigap - 1 minute ago  » 
    I've performed 3 factory resets since I started getting this problem, to no avail.

Since the recent software update?

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 12:43:53 #33 |
  4. Corrigap

Corrigap

The problem predates the most recent s/w update, but I'll give it a go and report back.

| Thu 17 Dec 2015 13:07:20 #34 |
  5. Corrigap

Corrigap

2 factory resets performed back to back, problem still there.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 9:41:05 #35 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

RE Resistance:

Out of ideas I'm afraid.

Just reset my HB (to clear cache) and all 6 episodes are streaming fine including FF to first advert break, let all 5 adverts play out and part 2 commencing.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 11:07:27 #36 |
  7. Corrigap

Corrigap

ok, thanks anyway, must have a faulty unit as I'm sure it's not network related.

BTW, this problem isn't specific, it's all programmes on All4, ie not the ads/trailers, they're all ok

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 11:11:19 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Corrigap - 58 minutes ago  » 
    ok, thanks anyway, must have a faulty unit as I'm sure it's not network related.
    BTW, this problem isn't specific, it's all programmes on All4, ie not the ads/trailers, they're all ok

Perhaps related to C4’s dynamic ad insertion tinkering:

Channel 4 launches personalised and dynamic ad replacement with Yospace
    2015-10-20 13:58 by Paul Davies
    New Digital platform All 4 introduces personalised ad insertion in the live stream to boost revenues and customer engagement

Staines-upon-Thames, 17 October 2015 – Channel 4 has selected a solution by Yospace, the leading name in dynamic advertisement replacement, to introduce personally targeted video ads across all of its online content.
    Earlier this month, the broadcaster announced that it was moving away from traditional linear ad feeds across its digital properties in favour of dynamically served, targeted ads.
    [..]
    The solution from Yospace provides unique in-stream ad replacement with seamless transitions to and from the advertising. Insertions are performed server-side, so the viewer will see an uninterrupted stream, while being presented with ads that are customised according to their unique user profile. By ensuring seamless and transparent splicing, the consumer perceives a broadcast quality service, but with advertising of such relevance that they stay with the stream.
    The recent agreement with Yospace is part of the second phase of the All 4 launch – the broadcaster’s new online destination that presents all of Channel 4’s linear channels, digital content and services in one place, for the first time. All 4, the offering’s new brand identity for its digital platform, initially introduced ad insertion for VOD, and will now use the Yospace solution to launch personalised ad insertion into the live stream.
    Jonathan Lewis, Head of Digital Innovation and Partnerships, said: “For Channel 4’s registered viewers, the All 4 experience is becoming even more personalised. ...the Yospace solution will enable us to deliver personalised ads to both individuals and specific groups seamlessly into the live stream.
    [..]
    Yospace CEO, Tim Sewell said:
    [..]
    “A solution like this will only work if it’s reliable and stable enough to cope with major TV audiences, as potentially millions of viewers will tune in at the same time. Another fundamental requirement is flexibility. Timings of the ad breaks in live programming are often fluid, so ad replacements have to be applied on-the-fly, in real-time, and with scale.”

http://www.yospace.com/index.php/recentnews/items/channel-4-launches-personalised-and-dynamic-ad-replacement-with-yospace.html

Clearly very demanding to deliver this in line with the promises in the blurb; and the "personalised" gimmick means that one viewer's experience may indeed be "seamless", while another viewer, using similar equipment but being served a different set of ads, may have problems.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 12:30:26 #38 |
  9. Corrigap

Corrigap

The above makes by far the most sense of any explanation offered so far, thanks!

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 12:51:07 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You're welcome. Might be worth exploring whether C4 and or Yospace might welcome your feedback and put it to good use by improving your service.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 12:56:47 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.