My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Are the tuners sensitive or just rubbish?

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Your posts regarding channels and frequency were ambiguous. Only in post #16 do you refer to LCN 7.
    Plus I still cannot find any reference to a channel called "This is Birmingham".

"That's not what you said" obviously refers to post 16.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 19:43:31 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well I can only advise on the frequencies we can get off the SC transmitter. This will vary depending on where you live. I know we are right at the range re: distance that according to the transmitter mapping we shouldn't receive this at all. I suspect that due to our elevation there's no physical objects between us and SC transmitter.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 22:09:29 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

SSThing - 2 hours ago  » 
    Your posts regarding channels and frequency were ambiguous. Only in post #16 do you refer to LCN 7.
    Plus I still cannot find any reference to a channel called "This is Birmingham".
    "That's not what you said" obviously refers to post 16.

Try this

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 22:39:10 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Still no mention of "This is Birmingham".

I am starting to think that at least one of us lives in the Twilight Zone
    There used to be a second mast linked to SCT, is that still operating and is that, perhaps, why you receive the additional frequency?

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 8:59:29 #24 |
  5. Mars

Mars

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    There used to be a second mast linked to SCT, is that still operating and is that, perhaps, why you receive the additional frequency?

I think that any reasonably intelligent person would have figured out that 'This is Birmingham' refers to the local TV station for Birmingham even if this is not the official name. Also, according to Wikipedia this is broadcast from Sutton Coldfield on UHF channel 36 at 1KW as well as channel 48 at 10KW (Comux):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Coldfield_transmitting_station

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 10:10:50 #25 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

Send three and fourpence, we are going to a dance

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 10:36:51 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Mars - 10 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

I think that any reasonably intelligent person would have figured out that 'This is Birmingham' refers to the local TV station for Birmingham even if this is not the official name. Also, according to Wikipedia this is broadcast from Sutton Coldfield on UHF channel 36 at 1KW as well as channel 48 at 10KW (Comux):

No.
    Any reasonably intelligent person could quite easily interpret Fausts post as an indication that perhaps he needed to retune his box (especially considering he reported that he was having issues). Repeatedly stating that he was receiving "This is Birmingham" on channel 36 (when no such channel currently exists with that name) and the fact that we are both on Sutton Coldfield showed a discrepancy. In the same way that someone reporting they were still receiving Sony Movies Christmas when in fact the name had changed and a retune was necessary. Faust even suggested that he shouldn't be able to pick up the channel, which again can be an indication that the user may be collecting signal from more than one transmitter. I had no idea there was a second local mux and perhaps neither did Faust, hence the confusion.
    Assuming that he was referring to BirminghamTV is logical but would not necessarily be correct.
    This forum is full of similar such reports which is why I posted that my channel configuration was different.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 10:52:23 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

SSThing - 31 mins ago  » 

Mars - 10 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

No.
    Any reasonably intelligent person could quite easily interpret Fausts post as an indication that perhaps he needed to retune his box (especially considering he reported that he was having issues). Repeatedly stating that he was receiving "This is Birmingham" on channel 36 (when no such channel currently exists with that name) and the fact that we are both on Sutton Coldfield showed a discrepancy. In the same way that someone reporting they were still receiving Sony Movies Christmas when in fact the name had changed and a retune was necessary. Faust even suggested that he shouldn't be able to pick up the channel, which again can be an indication that the user may be collecting signal from more than one transmitter. I had no idea there was a second local mux and perhaps neither did Faust, hence the confusion.
    Assuming that he was referring to BirminghamTV is logical but would not necessarily be correct.
    This forum is full of similar such reports which is why I posted that my channel configuration was different.

Oh dear, pedant response alert. Actually following an alert on my LG TV that the programme map had changed and to retune this morning This is Birmingham has now changed its name to Birmingham TV. I used this particular frequency in order to demonstrate the weaker tuner of the Aura when compared to the LG and Samsung TV and Panasonic PVR. I thought that I had made that clear. Oh well.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 11:31:35 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Not being pedantic at all and, for the record, I didn't ring three of my neighbours just to prove a point.
    Your post has just 100% proven that there was a discrepancy and a retune was required. Quod Erat Demonstrandum. (Perhaps you should call your neighbours to remind them to retune also?).
    If your 8 years here haven't taught you that ambiguous posts and/or reports of receiving/not receiving particular channels are, quite often if not always, down to user error, multiple transmitter reception or misunderstanding, well I don't know what posts you have been reading.
    If you want to take offense crack on, because I am bored now.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 12:25:30 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

SSThing - 2 mins ago  » 
    Not being pedantic at all and, for the record, I didn't ring three of my neighbours just to prove a point.
    Your post has just 100% proven that there was a discrepancy and a retune was required. Quod Erat Demonstrandum. (Perhaps you should call your neighbours to remind them to retune also?).
    If your 8 years here haven't taught you that ambiguous posts and/or reports of receiving/not receiving particular channels are, quite often if not always, down to user error, multiple transmitter reception or misunderstanding, well I don't know what posts you have been reading.
    If you want to take offense crack on, because I am bored now.

I believe you were the one doubting Channel 36 existed even claiming it to be QVC. Note to self to follow own advice.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 12:30:00 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.