My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Audio output via HDMI to TV is very low

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

HDR-1100S box is connected to my TV via HDMI cable and TV is connected to a soundbar via Optical cable.
    If I watch TV with Humax switched Off then I have to turn the sound bar volume down to '5' (Maximum = 32).
    If I watch TV with Humax switched On then I have to turn the sound bar volume up to '25' to get similar audio volume as when I watch TV with Humax Off.

Is this normal? Do others find that the audio output from Humax to TV is so poor?

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 19:58:25 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Justintime - 19 mins ago  » 
    HDR-1100S box is connected to my TV via HDMI cable and TV is connected to a soundbar via Optical cable.
    If I watch TV with Humax switched Off then I have to turn the sound bar volume down to '5' (Maximum = 32).
    If I watch TV with Humax switched On then I have to turn the sound bar volume up to '25' to get similar audio volume as when I watch TV with Humax Off.
    Is this normal? Do others find that the audio output from Humax to TV is so poor?

Watching HD or SD channel.

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 20:18:39 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try the following. Tune to a SD channel. Turn down your TV volume using it's own remote,

Using the HDR remote control turn up the box volume to max (default i 50%). Adjust the the TV volume using it's own remote to a normal listening level.

Last steps change the digital audio out from surround to stereo.

Change to a HD channel confirm volume is similar.

Now just use the TV remote to control the volume level.

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 20:25:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Thank you Graham but I don't know if your advice is relevant in my case. I say this because: -

The TV audio is muted in the TV Settings and I rely only on the sound bar remote control so using the TV remote for audio volume is a non-starter.

The sound volume difference happens when watching On-Demand. I watch the same program on Netflix via Humax and the sounbar volume needs to be 25 but watching it on TV itself the volume only needs to be 5. This applies to any On-Demand program whether Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and YouTube.

Both Humax 'Audio Type' and 'Digital Audio Out' settings are set to 'Stereo' anyway but the 'Digital Audio Out' setting should not be relevant since I connect Humax to TV via HDMI.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 9:11:24 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Justintime - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you Graham but I don't know if your advice is relevant in my case. I say this because: -
    The TV audio is muted in the TV Settings and I rely only on the sound bar remote control so using the TV remote for audio volume is a non-starter.
    The sound volume difference happens when watching On-Demand. I watch the same program on Netflix via Humax and the sounbar volume needs to be 25 but watching it on TV itself the volume only needs to be 5. This applies to any On-Demand program whether Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and YouTube.
    Both Humax 'Audio Type' and 'Digital Audio Out' settings are set to 'Stereo' anyway but the 'Digital Audio Out' setting should not be relevant since I connect Humax to TV via HDMI.

What audio inputs does the sound bar have ?

Would one of these at the TV end sort it out.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073TXX3KV/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=avf-post-widget-21&tag=blusas008-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B073TXX3KV

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 10:27:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The sound bar has HDMI ARC, Optical and Line In (from RCA) audio inputs.

I have tried HDMI ARC but the HDMI handshake is unreliable. First time connected was fine but switching on the next day and the TV would recognize the bar and switch it on but there was no sound ouput from the bar. Rebooting TV would fix it but the problem kept repeating. The maximum it would work reliably was only 2 days so that's why I am using the Optical connection.

I am loathe to spend cash to sort out what I believe to be a Humax problem but thank you for the link.
    My smart TV provides all that I need except for recording/playback of TV programs. Yes, I know I can add an external drive to the TV to record and playback TV programmes but this has limitations (too many to go into here but the internet reveals all) and, in this espect, the Humax is a far better option.

I think that I will watch TV with Humax switched Off but look for TV programs that I want to record and reserve the Humax for Recording and Playback of these. In those cases I will just have to turn up the sounbar volume by 5x.

How can Humax get this 'Volume Out' problem so wrong?

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 11:51:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Are you absolutely certain that you haven't got the volume turned down on the Humax? The fact that you are set to "stereo" means that the Humax remote controls the volume output for all channels.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 11:59:57 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

No. Even with the Sound bar volume set at 25 (the maximum is 32) it is still necessary to have the Humax volume turned up to 20 to 32 (This variation depends on the program) to get the same volume level at the sound bar as I get when watching TV only with sound bar volume at only 5.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 12:09:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

So when you use the volume control on the Humax remote, what level is it at?

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 12:15:38 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

As I said the Humax volume needs to be 20 to 32 (depends on the program) as well as the sound bar at 25.

Could the Humax be faulty? I paid extra for the "Richer Sounds" '6 Year Supercare' warranty wihich expires August 2023 so it's still under warranty.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 12:37:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.