My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Audio output via HDMI to TV is very low

(42 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Justintime - 1 hour ago  » 
    The sound bar has HDMI ARC, Optical and Line In (from RCA) audio inputs.
    I have tried HDMI ARC but the HDMI handshake is unreliable. First time connected was fine but switching on the next day and the TV would recognize the bar and switch it on but there was no sound ouput from the bar. Rebooting TV would fix it but the problem kept repeating. The maximum it would work reliably was only 2 days so that's why I am using the Optical connection.
    I am loathe to spend cash to sort out what I believe to be a Humax problem but thank you for the link.
    My smart TV provides all that I need except for recording/playback of TV programs. Yes, I know I can add an external drive to the TV to record and playback TV programmes but this has limitations (too many to go into here but the internet reveals all) and, in this espect, the Humax is a far better option.
    I think that I will watch TV with Humax switched Off but look for TV programs that I want to record and reserve the Humax for Recording and Playback of these. In those cases I will just have to turn up the sounbar volume by 5x.
    How can Humax get this 'Volume Out' problem so wrong?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable. The fact that your soundbar will not reliably maintain an arc connection is the fundamental issue you need to fix.

No issues with audio using a hdmi cable to a AVR input.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 13:12:50 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I assume you refer to the HDMI cable from TV to sound bar and not the HDMI from Humax to TV? I did try another HDMI cable but that had the same issue. If you look for "HDMI handshake issues" online it seems a common problem and it is your good luck if you do not have any problems with it.

In any case I do not think that is the cause of the sound volume problem because sound bar only needs volume 5 if watching TV only (no Humax). This tells me that audio from TV to soundbar is OK. The problem is the audio from Humax to TV.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 13:38:21 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Tomorrow I intend to try different HDMI cables from Humax to TV. I have 4 spare HDMI cables so if the problem remains I don't think it will be a cable issue. I'll report back Saturday/Sunday.

| Fri 5 Mar 2021 14:00:39 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

OK, I tried 3 other HDMI cables from Humax to TV with no improvement so I suspect the Humax is faulty and I am going to try get a replacement if that is possible now that Freesat have dumped Humax and the box is no longer sold.

I should have stated before that this issue was the same when the Humax was connected to my previous Panasonic dumb TV. My current TV is a Philips smart TV which I installed in October 2020 and I have only just got around to addressing it.

Hey Ho! Watch this space.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 13:40:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

If you are sure that you haven't got the volume on the Humax set low, surely the other option is to reduce the volume output from the TV until it is balanced with the Humax?

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 17:23:39 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The TV speakers are muted in the TV settings. The audio streams are: -
    a)If watching via Humax - From Humax HDMI to TV HDMI then through the TV to the Optical out port then to the sound bar via optical cable.
    b)If watching TV (No Humax) - From the TV Optical out port then to the sound bar via optical cable.

In case (a) the bar volume needs to be 25 with Humax volume at 20 to 32 depending on program being watched.
    In case (b) the bar volume needs to be 5. If it were 25 as when using Humax the sound output blows the house roof off.

It must be a Humax issue surely?

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 17:53:20 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

The TV being muted is irrelevant, it is still outputting a volume level to the soundbar. If you unmute the TV I suspect that it is set quite high, in which case lower it (until it is balanced to the Humax) before muting again.
    Or perhaps there are separate volume controls (in settings) for the optical output (I know that on one of my previous TV's I could separately control the volume of headphones, maybe you have similar).

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 18:26:04 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

What is the sound like if you listen to the Humax via the television speakers?

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 19:08:25 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

SSThing - Thanks, I will reply tomorrow after checking.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 19:10:40 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

After checking I find no change: -

I re-enabled the TV spkrs and the volume was on zero so this was not the cause. There are no separate settings for Optical output volume control.

If I listen to Humax using TV speakers set at 30 (max = 60) and sound bar off then I need the Humax volume at Maximum (50). This means the only way to then control volume is to use the TV control. I do not want to use two controls.

In order to use only one remote control my current method is the best compromise but it does not answer why the Humax volume output to TV is so low that I have to increase sound bar volume by 5x more than if watching TV witout Humax.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 13:13:38 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.