My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Audio output via HDMI to TV is very low

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I'm confused now because in several posts you say that the Humax volume goes up to 32 (and that's where you set it) but you have just said that it goes up to 50? Surely, in that case, if you turn up the volume of the Humax you will find a level that matches your TV when listening through the soundbar?
    Comparing setting 5 on your soundbar to setting 5 on the TV to setting 5 on the Humax is pointless, all manufacturers have different ways to calibrate their volume displays. Ultimately, if you end up with the Humax at maximum but the end result is that both live TV and the Humax sound the same at setting 5 on the soundbar, that's all you need to do, that's what balancing is.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 13:39:39 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

No, it is the soundbar that has a maximum volume of 32. The Humax maximum is 50.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 13:50:01 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

So turn up the Humax until it is balanced with the TV output.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 14:04:30 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I don't understand 'balancing'. The TV output is set to zero so I can't turn up the Humax to zero. I can only turn it down to zero then there will be no sound at all.

The desired situation is that I use the soundbar with no TV sound so the TV volume is at zero and the speakers disabled. I only want to use the soundbar volume control minimalistically so there is not a dramatic difference in volume output. At the moment, if I forget to turn down the soundbar from 25 to 5 then switch from watching Humax to watching TV the soundbar output blows the roof off. I find myself frantically turning the TV off before the neighbours complain.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 16:45:42 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

At the moment, with your soundbar on 5 the TV volume is acceptable but when you swap to the Humax it is too quiet. But you have said that the Humax volume goes up to 50 but you are set much lower.
    So turn up the volume using the Humax remote until it is at an acceptable level. Then leave it at that and use the soundbar remote from then on. That is balanced/balancing.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 16:54:00 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Yes It would be ideal if I could leave the soundbar volume at 5 (or even up to 8 ) and then use the Humax volume control when I use the Humax.

The problem with this idea is that even with the Humax at max volume of 50 the soundbar volume is too low by a long way. It is absolutely necessary to increase bar volume up 25 when using Humax.

After this long thread I think I must accept defeat and manage the situation as I have been doing for a while now. To manage the volume problem I have to remember to turn down the bar volume from 25 to 5 before I switch Humax Off and watch TV. If I forget the roof gets blown off but I'll just have to remember as best I can and apologise to the neighbours from time to time.

Thanks for all your efforts. I appreciate you have put a lot of thought into it. Thanks also to everyone who has contributed. At least it helps me to realise that I have done all I can to try to resolve this apart from trying to get a replacement/refurbished unit under warranty.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 20:01:39 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

What is the model of your TV?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 10:46:23 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The same issue happened with previous TV as well as current TV and the they were/are: -

a) Panasonic (Dumb) TV model TX-39A400B new in August 2014 - Previous TV.

b) Philips (Smart) TV model 43PUS8555/12 new October 2020 - Current TV.

I have put-up-with/managed this Humax issue since I got the Humax in August 2017 and have only recently thought to try and fix it.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 12:04:28 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Do you have to turn the TV speakers up high (when watching the Humax) if you aren't using the soundbar?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 12:10:22 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Have a read of page 50 of the instruction manual regarding "Advanced sound settings" and "Delta volume".
    Also, the was recently quite a big firmware update, have you installed this yet?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 12:22:40 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.