My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Audio output via HDMI to TV is very low

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

SSThing - Thanks for persevering. In answer: -

(a) If I use the TV spkrs (No SB) and watch Humax I need the TV speakers at Maximum (60) and the Humax volume at 40. The Humax maximum is 50 so there is very little remaining for watching programs with poor sound levels. In addition the quality of the TV speaker sound is not as good as the SB and that is the reason for the SB.

(b) The TV manual shows 'delta volume' but it is not available on my TV. The manual is a generic manual.

(c) Yes, I update the OS regularly and there are no updates available today.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 14:04:15 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I checked something new: -

I watched BBC News HD channel (TV only) with TV spkrs on max (60) and the sound was quite loud.
    I watched the same BBC News HD channel (via Humax) with TV spkrs on max (60) and the Humax on max (50) and the sound volume was similar.

What does this tell us? It seems that the audio volume coming into the TV from the Humax gives the same sound volume that the TV itself outputs if using the TV spkrs. It is the sound output to the SB that is the problem. I think there is a massive audio loss between the HDMI volume into the TV (from Humax) and what is passed out of the Optical port to the SB.

If this is the case then it was the same for both Panasonic and Philips Tvs.

What think you?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 14:21:45 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

The user manual that I downloaded from Philips is for all of the 8555 series and nowhere does it suggest that the Delta Volume control is only available for some models.
    When you say "not available" do you mean it's there but greyed out or can you not find it at all?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 14:35:47 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The user manual varies in many places from what is available on my TV. It is partially useful though. Here are three pics verifying my TV model and what I see in 'Sound' settings. As you see no Delta Volume.

Attachments

1. IMG_1263.JPG (747.5 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Philips_TV_Model.JPG (908.2 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    3. IMG_1261.JPG (740.7 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    | Mon 8 Mar 2021 16:15:21 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Try "digital out levelling".

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 16:44:35 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Brilliant! You cracked it! Thank you, thank you, thank you. To explain: -

The "Digital Out levelling" (DOL) has only 3 options. A pity it is not a sliding scale for more control but I only have "More" (Default), "Medium" and "Less".
    I changed it from "More" to "Less" and that improved the situation massively because it meant turning up the SB volume to more closely match both devices, TV and Humax.

I can now have the SB volume at 17 (rather than 5) for watching TV but, due to lack of fine DOL control, I still need to increase it to 25 when watching Humax. This means that if I switch from watching Humax to TV the volume increase from the SB does not blow the roof off and I can turn it down in a relaxed manner knowing I am not annoying the neighbours.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 17:31:02 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Last thing.
    Do you mute the TV from the settings menu or just the mute button on the remote?
    If it's from settings, that may default to the TV sending a volume level to the SB that is a bit higher than you need to achieve the balance you need.
    If it is from settings, try this:-
    Unmute from settings.
    Adjust the TV volume to a comfortable level then mute using the mute button on the remote.
    Turn on the SB. If the volume now needs adjusting, unmute the TV... adjust up or down as required then mute again. This adjustment should affect the volume coming from the SB.
    Keep tweaking until both live TV and Humax are at similar levels at the required SB volume.
    Similar tweaks to the Humax volume may be needed.
    I am confident that "balance" can be achieved.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 17:52:47 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

In other words, the louder your TV is before you mute, the louder it will be via the SB and vice versa.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 18:09:11 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

My brain is scrambled for today so I will experiment tomorrow but, if I follow the above and I find a balance can I then disable the TV speakers in Settings or must I keep them enabled but muted using TV remote?

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 18:45:18 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

All I can say is try it and see.
    Part of me suspects that a "settings" mute may default to a (let's just say) 50% volume signal being sent to the SB because it has to send something and for your requirements that is too loud. Whereas, a "remote" mute is just turning off the speakers (at your chosen volume) but when you unmute it will be at the level they were previously.
    So, if you tweak the TV volume and then do a settings mute and the volume remains at the level you want, brilliant do a settings mute but if not, the solution is to remote mute.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 19:14:05 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.